Anyone else think NC State is OVERRATED?

GT Adamni

Flats Noob
It seems a lot of people think they are FSU's most likely threat in the ACC this year. They were voted 2nd in the conference by the ACC media, and even got 4 votes to WIN the conference! Where does this thinking about them come from?

Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

LINK

It seems almost everyone in that thread thinks that NC State is the team that FSU should worry the most about. I know they beat FSU last year, but I doubt it this year. I guess they may have a chance just because they have beaten them before and their coach knows a lot about the 'Noles from being there.

Speaking of their coach, do you guys agree with the sentiment that seems to prevail from a lot of ACC fans that "The Chest" is one of the best coaches in the ACC? Just how many steroids has he done in his life? I heard an interview with him and at first I thought it was a woman.

I'm sure they'll go about 9-5 this year since their OOC schedule is New Mexico, East Tennessee State, Navy, Texas Tech, and Massachusetts. Texas Tech is the only one of that group that even resembles a halfway competetive team.

I hope we absolutely demolish these guys. I'm still pissed about 2 years ago when that wannabe thug Terrence Holt taunted Kerry Watkins after he dropped that pass.

puke.gif
Terrence Holt

They went into FSU and beat them. That is something that Spurrier never did.

I think we can beat NCST however I believe FSU, GT, and NCST are the 3 best teams in the conference.

The respect NCST is getting is deserving. All the times I've traveled to FSU and seen us get beat makes me appreciate NCST more what NCST did.

That being said, think we can play with those guys from the FL capital city. The FSU fans are getting ready for revenge I believe on NCST. That's only natural.

I don't think the media is so correct, "FSU and the rest," like the ACC use to be. Use to be FSU could have a bad game and still win. Not going to happen now. FSU should be favored in every game they play, but don't think they will win all their games in the ACC. Too many good teams now, and think the coaching is better. NCST is one of those teams that on a given day can beat FSU.

Feel that NCST isn't as good without Norm Chow as their OC. They do play with a lot of heart and grit. Their coach has brought a toughness to that team, and it shows on the field.

The mental toughness and character of teams like FSU, GT, NCST, and Maryland will make the champion. That's yet to be seen. Normally experience and maturity play a big roll in who is the toughest character team.

When the momentum of a game swings with a big play, who's going to get up and fight harder with character. That's what makes this game great. We'll soon be finding out!!

Don't get me wrong, I think they have a pretty good team, but I just don't see them finishing with better than a 5-3 record in conference. Actually, I think 4-4 is more likely. They have major questions/problems on both lines, and that can spell disaster. Just look back to what happened to us last year.

NCSU is overrated this year.

No depth on O line and D line plus new starting TB leaves much to be desired for a supposed conference challenger. They will undoubtedly go 8-6 after their season ending bowl loss in the Tangerine to BC
bigthumbup.gif

I think the media is expecting Amato to build a dynasty for some reason. Hes a good coach but so was Lou Holtz and Dick Sheridan. They usually "play up" to big games. We'll need to keep an eye on them but...they're overrated.
drinking.gif

gnats, I'm not sure what you mean. Holtz made a lot of hay at NCState.

Anybody know what Sheridan's "personal reasons" for leaving were?

I believe that NC State is overrated as well, but their '02 schedule is total cake. they could fall out of their car and post an 8 - 5 type record.

FWIW, I think UMd and UNC are overrated as well & that GT, Clemson, UVa, & Wake will surprise in conference this year.

NC State is more overrated than we were last year... I am not sure what everyone is basing the future success upon... I see it this way...

New Mexico.. Win
ETSU .. Win
Navy .. Win
WF .. Loss (Big Upset)
Texas Tech.. Loss
UMass .. Win
NC .. WIN
Duke .. Win
Clemson ..Loss
GT .. Loss
Maryland ..Win
Virginia .. Win
FSU .. BIG LOSS

8-5 Record.. maybe 9-4 with WF or MD begin a swing game..

As for Dick Sheridan's personal reasons- How do I say this they are personal! I talked to him at a family reunion, My wife & His wife are distant, (very distant) cousins. Anyway two years ago he said he was not interested in coaching, I don't think he will ever get back into football.

I HATE GEORGIA!
lightningzap.gif

GSU Jacket,

If Sheridan wants no more part of college football, that would seem to be a real loss for the sport. Sheridan was an excellent coach - at least he got good results - and he seemed to do things the right way.

I'll never forget when he took the State job. The report was that he got all his assistants at Furman together and discussed it with them before he made a decision because it affected them and their families as well as his own. Pretty impressive.

Let me preface my comments, when I last talked to him was two years ago, while watching the tech-unc game at a family reunion. At that time he was not interested in Coaching, His name may have been floated for the ugag job again I don’t remember. I guess saying He will never get back into football was my assumption, for which I apologize.

rolleyes.gif
frown.gif
smile.gif

Sheridan was a heck of a coach. Would rather have him a million to one over 'Buck' and his resume.

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Sheridan designed new logos for both Furman and State. They were similar; sort of diamond shaped and amateurish. i gathered that he liked to control things from top to bottom. he was a good coach,

I can remember at one point back in the 80s(?) Sheridan was tops. It seems like he interviewed for Auburn or was talking to UGA or something ( I don't have my facts in front of me). I also remember walking out of a game at GF where Furman had just beat us 17-14 in '83 I think it was (I had season tickets at the time) that I believe Sheridan was responsible for. He was a formidable coach of his day.

Guys, why all the obsession with NCState. They are a middle of the road ACC team. The only way we should ever lose to them is if we are not prepared or lose concentration (like 2000). I'm sure the victories they have over FSU are because FSU have taken them lightly. Look for FSU to light them up like 50 sumthing to 20 sumthing this year.

I agree, ramblin-ass, sort of a nostalgia trip there. I, too, believe that NCST is chalked up vs. FSU but FSU is more important. I think we should win all our conference games this year!
grin.gif

Back