Anyone else think VT sounds like FSU?

ncjacket

Dodd-Like
Remember a few years back when LOWF (little old wake forest for those who don't remember) was suddenly winning games with a funky offense under Grobe? They beat mighty FSU by running through and around them and all you heard was FSU complaining about cut/chop blocks. They whined and moaned and talked about how unsafe it was.

My point though is that since that time (maybe that game?) FSU has been largely irrelevant on the national scene and mostly in the ACC. They forgot to play football and kick ass, and instead started worrying about rules and who was coming for them. Could this be the end of the VT we've come to know?

IMO Beamer's mediocre colors are coming out...He rarely, if ever, puts a solid offense on the field..and when Bud Foster gets picked up as HC somewhere I think that VT will take a step or two back.

I do remember that talk about WF and their blocking schemes.

But, as you know, we can't let ourselves think about those things.

We have to focus on our weekly game.

We can not think of acccg, bcsnonsense, or anything else because it will always take care of itself.

The only thing that matters on the field is beating ugag and doing the best we can in every other game.

can't get ahead of ourselves... maybe VT will downspiral along with UGA as Georgia Tech steams ahead under its greatest coach in history, renaming the stadium "Dodd-Johnson Stadium" and winning 8 out of the next 10 ACC Championships and adding 3 more National Titles to our rep...

or we lose to Wake, Duke, and UGA and don't get any of it.

One week at a time, one season at a time boys... all will self-correct. 'Tis fun to imagine, though...

I don't think FSU atrophied because of it's concern for rules (or laws), and I don't think that will be true of VPI either. I think FSU may have had some kids on the field who couldn't spell football. Somewhere along the line, that'll get you.

The team can't afford to worry about it. But I can afford to become a Tarhole fan for a week.:biggthumpup:

P.S.
Before this week I would have been rooting for VPISU and Miami for the rest of the season. Now that we control our destiny, I believe improved standing for both of them only helps us. But now, it's personal.

I don't think FSU atrophied because of it's concern for rules (or laws), and I don't think that will be true of VPI either. I think FSU may have had some kids on the field who couldn't spell football. Somewhere along the line, that'll get you.

Nah. Nepotism got FSU on offense, along with a four year infatuation with Rix as a starting QB.

Somewhere along the way I also think that Mickey Andrews fell behind the rest of the world on defensive philosophy.

Nah. Nepotism got FSU on offense, along with a four year infatuation with Rix as a starting QB.

Somewhere along the way I also think that Mickey Andrews fell behind the rest of the world on defensive philosophy.

Not just Andrews, but I'd say Bowden became that way as well.

Yeah, I posted this in another thread, F$U gave Wake the same crap when they started beating them:

Grobe denied the charges during Wednesday's ACC teleconference and spoke at length about Wake Forest's offensive style. He also said two of his players were victims of NorthCarolina chop blocks, but called them unintentional.

"Well, it's just ridiculous," Grobe said of the accusations.

"In no way do we do that. First of all, you have to have two guys blocking one to end up in a chop-block situation. Our feeling is in our running game if we are wasting blockers if we've got two guys blocking one guy. We are just trying to run the football. We're a team that leads the ACC in rushing and that's by design. We want to run the football. You can't run the football by blocking people up high. That's just the way we are.

http://wakeforest.scout.com/2/73217.html

No my point is, they started worrying about rules instead of realizing they were getting their collective asses kicked. They assumed they were just as big and bad as they always were and that if they were getting beat the other guys must be cheating. It's the mindset that says "I deserve to win".

They assumed they were just as big and bad as they always were and that if they were getting beat the other guys must be cheating. It's the mindset that says "I deserve to win".

Absolutely. It's all about mindset. Beamer built a successful program because he was hungry to win, did all the little things right, and was willing to take risks. But when you lose courage, start minimizing risks instead of maximizing effort, you lose the edge. That's why the best coaches are inherently competitive. They hate to lose at anything. Paul Johnson, Steve Spurrier, Pete Carroll. Tom Osborne. Some guys lose it when they get older, but not all. In the end, PJ hates to lose. He wants it more than Beamer does, more than Bowden does. One thing that I, for one, am grateful for is that he has integrity to match his competitiveness. He's not willing to cheat to win - in fact, he wouldn't cheat because that would lessen the effect of the whuppin' he just laid on you. Fellas, this may just be the perfect coach for GT.

Interesting that after our game w/FSU, Bowden's comments where that they just couldn't stop us...we got whipped defensively...etc...

Contrast that w/Beamer complaining and making a scene a week after the fact.

Back