anyone feel like talking exclusively about X's and O's...

GTYellowJacket12

Flats Noob
I've seen a couple of threads with people asking about gameday strategy (formations, tendencies, personnel etc) that gradually dilute into the usual chan bashing, which is to some degree justified in my book don't get me wrong but is there anyone out there interested in talking strategy? If so can anyone post either here or in a separate thread about what we need to do in this game? Do we play a bit more cover 2? How will the blitz be disguised? What should the first scripted plays be? Anything that might have any substance in reference to our defense and offensive schemes for this game, I'm going crazy here reading the same post worded differently every time.

I'm hoping we'll see a little more delayed blitz than we have seen this year. Its been used more than a few times, and I believe our guys are comfortable with it, and with a younger OL I think it could be a very effective weapon at rushing the decisions the QB has to make.

I can't remember a delayed DB blitz in the last few games, but I know it was done at least a few times in the earlier part of the season and it did well in those situations.

I don't think strategy is going to be as important as execution. Particularly, there is no strategy in the world that's going to overcome 4 turnovers, which is about what we're averaging per game over our past 4 games. Our offense needs to play one complete game without screwing up.

If we can do that, then a steady diet of Tashard should certainly do the trick vs UGA. But how well we can do that is very much in question.

Master of the obvious here.

I think it all revolves around our ability to sustain the run. We do that, and we have a much better chance of pulling the upset.

Choice will have to carry the ball 30 times, Dwyer 10 times, and Nesbit 5 times (1 for 1 passing). TB needs to be 6 for 10 passing with possitive rushing yards.

No fumbles. No INT.

So Nesbit can't play. And while Tater's thrown a few picks, Nesbit's % of snaps vs fumbles is off the chart.

Yeah, Nesbit needs to hold onto the ball. But when he is in at QB, Choice gets to rest a little.

We need to run, run, run. It looked like we were trying to force the passing game against UNC. It didn't work. We might as well make UGA prove they can stop our running game. That is what we do best. I want to see just enough passing to keep the safeties honest.

When your Cox is as big as ours, you might as well put it on display for a full 60 minutes.

Will they put 8 in the box?

I think this is an adjustment that they might make later in the game since Cox should be able to knock an undersised Curran on his ass on runs in the A or B gap thereby making them put a safety up in the box or and extra linebacker in a 4-4.

Will we see a three receiver set on nonpassing downs?

They will propably try to exploit our nickel corner and Richt has been using this a lot.

How do we neutralize their TE down the middle on the block and release play? LB? Safety? Jam him at the line?

Do we need to have someone chip the end on Cord Howard, he seems to be a bit slow and gave up the tater hit that forced the fumble at the 3 yard line against UNC?

How do we neutralize the screen pass?

Should we gameplan a lot for the 3 step drops and cutback runs since they could be using it to neutralize our agressive D?

What are th wrinkles saved exclusively for this game?

Just some questions I'm throwing out there, thoughts?

Yeah, Taylor just isn't good enough to carry us. Tashard is. Everyone likes to bitch about run-run-run-punt but our best two players are our RB and our punter, so as long as the score stays low I expect we'll see a lot of that, and honestly it's our best chance to win.

On offense, it should be like any other game. Run the ball and try to get lucky on some easy passes. Test the waters every once in awhile with a relatively safe pass down the sideline.

Defense is where this game will be won. I'm not overly worried about Moreno, as no one has really been able to run on us all season. Stafford and his receivers are much better than our secondary, so the issue will be getting pressure on him with our front four and LBs. If we can overpower their O-line, I think we have a great shot.

Throw in solid special teams play: big punts, not giving up run-backs on punts and kickoffs, reliable field goal service, etc.

I give us a decent chance. You never know what can happen in a rivalry game at home.

IMO the key to the game will be third down conversions. GT first of all needs to stay out of 2nd & long and 3rd & long situations. I know that our strength is the running game, but if the running game is bringing little or no gain on first down, then GT needs to open up a little on first and second down and let TB throw some safe out patterns.

The running game and kicking game are indeed strengths of this team --as beej67 has pointed out-- but GT needs to avoid the 3 and out syndrome that keeps the defense on the field too long. If this happens then I'm afraid we're in for a long afternoon.

- - - - -

added: Also --GT needs to wrap up on Omar Moreno and not allow him to spin out of tackles for four to five additional yards .

I'd run Choice. Sit Bennett: play Nesbitt. Get Nesbitt out in space so he can make some plays. Just go ahead and open it up and see what happens. Georgia doesn't do well against teams with athletic quarterbacks. What do we have to lose? We've been playing not to lose for too long against these guys. Let's try playing to win for a change.

I'd run Choice. Sit Bennett: play Nesbitt. Get Nesbitt out in space so he can make some plays. Just go ahead and open it up and see what happens. Georgia doesn't do well against teams with athletic quarterbacks. What do we have to lose? We've been playing not to lose for too long against these guys. Let's try playing to win for a change.

Nesbitt's ball security issues and lack of accuracy are a huge liability to have an entire game, I think it might be good to get him a series or two to change the pace if our original gameplan doesn't work or in run situations but a whole game is too much for the kid given where he is right now. He could, however be a great wildcard to have for some situational trick plays saved exclusively for this game (:fingersx:).

I think it comes down to line play. If we can run, and conversely stop them we win. If we are forced to pass we're in big trouble. The team that wears the other down wins late I think.

Coach Gailey, why did you choose the sig GTYellowJacket12?

;-)

Coach Gailey, why did you choose the sig GTYellowJacket12?

;-)

:laugher:I'm telling you I love the kid (Nesbitt) and would like nothing more than to see him run a spread next year for us, but right now given what I've seen in games I just don't think his accuracy, vision and ball security warrant starter status, situational change of pace "yes", starter for the biggest game of the year "hell no". A series or two similar to the two play scoring drive vs UNC would be ideal.

Beej67 is right on target, as usual. Our best two players are our RB and our punter. Nesbit is a great runner as well and threw a TD pass against NC as did Tashard. Our running game is the key to keeping our D and their O off the field, but if they overcompensate against the run perhaps our runners can throw the big one on them like we did twice against NC.

Back