Anyone know whatever happened to Dwyer?

Gobees

Jolly Good Fellow
Saw him at Lakepoint Sports Complex two years ago during a baseball tournament.
Looked like he'd been frequenting Golden Corral.

ScionOfSouthland

Dodd-Like
He did a radio show with the Steelers not too long ago, one of those where are they now deals

GCdaJuiceMan

Flats Noob
Not sure what line of work he is in but I do think he is training kids at the RB position around town or at least some of his posts on Facebook make it seem that way.
As a poster said above, at the 2019 spring game I spotted him on the side line, was not difficult to notice his enlarged circumference.

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
Dwyer always had trouble controlling his weight and was never quite the same after he gained all that weight after his soph year. He was still awesome, of course, and had a potential NFL career he threw away with some bad life choices. I hope things have worked out for him in life since then.

Reactions: odw

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Still had the most impressive HS film of any of our recruits, with Gibbs being right there at him. Dwyer had speed to burn and hella power.

The Champ

Dodd-Like
Dwyer always had trouble controlling his weight and was never quite the same after he gained all that weight after his soph year. He was still awesome, of course, and had a potential NFL career he threw away with some bad life choices. I hope things have worked out for him in life since then.
Not sure he threw away a potential NFL career if he played 5 years in the NFL. Maybe he threw away the potential of a 7 or 8 year career, due to the domestic violence incident.

The Champ

Dodd-Like
Still had the most impressive HS film of any of our recruits, with Gibbs being right there at him. Dwyer had speed to burn and hella power.
Yep. Gibbs was more Reggie bush like, smooth cutbacks with great vision and speed; Dwyer basically just turned on the after burners and it was over.

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
Not sure he threw away a potential NFL career if he played 5 years in the NFL. Maybe he threw away the potential of a 7 or 8 year career, due to the domestic violence incident.
Yeah I suppose the four years he was on his rookie contract with the Steelers counts as an NFL career and he earned $1.9M. I was referring to the lucrative 2nd contract that every NFL player needs to get the big money.

GT to AZ

Helluva Engineer
I really thought he was on his way to turning the corner here in AZ and earning the starting role. Then the domestic violence issue and it was all over.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
He was the best RB in the country in 2008. 1-cut 220lb bowling ball with breakaway speed. And was still Top 10-ish in 2009 after adding some lbs. But yeah if he had kept that ‘08 form he would’ve done some damage with the Steelers run game.

CoachTech

Flats Noob
JD was working at Fury in Woodstock just last year I believe. Fury is a training facility for Football, Baseball, Basketball, ect. He is one of my favorite GT players. The run against UVA gets me fired up every time!

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
His career length might not have been affected but he definitely left a lot of money on the table. He was being talked about as a first round pick and then ended up dropping to sixth because of a poor performance at the combine, which was attributed to weight/conditioning. That's a difference of millions of dollars.

Really a shame. Will never forget a lot of the memories he gave us.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
Jokes aside, the last time I saw him was at the Taco Mac in Kennesaw a few years ago.

Loved cheering for him on the flats. Even cheered for him when he went on to the Stillers.

The Champ

Dodd-Like
His career length might not have been affected but he definitely left a lot of money on the table. He was being talked about as a first round pick and then ended up dropping to sixth because of a poor performance at the combine, which was attributed to weight/conditioning. That's a difference of millions of dollars.

Really a shame. Will never forget a lot of the memories he gave us.
Talked about as a first round pick, why? Because he was listed on some internet mock draft? I doubt any scouts were looking at him 18 months in advance and slotting them on draft boards.

Michael Johnson was listed #1 overall at one point too on a internet mock. Those things have little to no validity. Jake Fromm was listed a top 5 pick on some as well.

He had a 5 year NFL career, which is well above average. Probably plays 1-2 more if not for the incident. He was never a saquon Barkley type prospect. He was always soft, pudgy body composition, and had tiny hands, all things that come out on the wash anyway. Being 15 pounds overweight didn’t help, but it didn’t cost him a 1st round pick either