Anyone know whatever happened to Dwyer?

Jacketeer

Flats Noob
Talked about as a first round pick, why? Because he was listed on some internet mock draft? I doubt any scouts were looking at him 18 months in advance and slotting them on draft boards.

Michael Johnson was listed #1 overall at one point too on a internet mock. Those things have little to no validity. Jake Fromm was listed a top 5 pick on some as well.

He had a 5 year NFL career, which is well above average. Probably plays 1-2 more if not for the incident. He was never a saquon Barkley type prospect. He was always soft, pudgy body composition, and had tiny hands, all things that come out on the wash anyway. Being 15 pounds overweight didn’t help, but it didn’t cost him a 1st round pick either
The pudgy body and 15 lbs overweight were not the case in 08 when he was the ACC POY, running for 1400 yards on 7 ypc. Definitely would have been somewhere in the top few rounds if he stayed in his 08 form/conditioning.

Architorture23

If ur players know u luv them, then u already won.
The pudgy body and 15 lbs overweight were not the case in 08 when he was the ACC POY, running for 1400 yards on 7 ypc. Definitely would have been somewhere in the top few rounds if he stayed in his 08 form/conditioning.
he ran for 1395 in 08 and 09.

Last edited:

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
Talked about as a first round pick, why? Because he was listed on some internet mock draft? I doubt any scouts were looking at him 18 months in advance and slotting them on draft boards.
I think you're either misremembering or exaggerating. It wasn't 18 months in advance -- major ESPN personalities were picking him to go in the first round in the months leading up to the draft.

Obviously they are not always right but there's little reason to doubt that him coming into the combine overweight and performing poorly had a big impact on his draft position. His weight issues continued throughout his NFL career and you can find contemporaneous articles talking about it.

The Champ

Dodd-Like
He wasn’t cut/jacked in 08. He always had a soft body type — he did gain weight which isn’t abnormal for a 18-19 year old. His productivity didn’t really diminish from 08-09. He ran for 1400 yards both years. In 09 he did it with more carries, but less easy yards from defenses not having a clue how to line up vs the 3-0 (Miami, FSU come to mind)

05GTCorndog

Staff member
I think you're either misremembering or exaggerating. It wasn't 18 months in advance -- major ESPN personalities were picking him to go in the first round in the months leading up to the draft.

Obviously they are not always right but there's little reason to doubt that him coming into the combine overweight and performing poorly had a big impact on his draft position. His weight issues continued throughout his NFL career and you can find contemporaneous articles talking about it.
This.

He got even more out of shape during the most important time in his career (pre-draft). That’s like showing up to a job interview in pajamas. Then he went in the late 6th round and showed up to camp in Pittsburgh fat 2 years in a row before finally getting it more together in year 3.

MGYSGT GRITS

Varsity Lurker
Where is he and what is he doing?
JD Sent this also to post...Ohh and I read all the comments I LOVE BEING THE DIESEL. i gave my all to tech and i felt like i brought a lot buzz to GT along with my guys Burnett bay bay and nesbitt beating UGA winning the lone ACC TITLE AND WINNING ACC PLAYER OF THE YEAR OFFENSIVE PLAYER AND BEING AN ALL AMERICAN AND ALL ACC. I love GT until i die. Nfl career wasn’t what i wanted but i had a lot of good games and lived my dream. It’s not how i wanted to end but that’s life i know who i am as a man, but i made a lot of money I’m living comfortably and i enjoyed my journey and my fav times where at GT. I LOVE GT AND TO HELL WITH GEORGIA.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
JD Sent this also to post...Ohh and I read all the comments I LOVE BEING THE DIESEL. i gave my all to tech and i felt like i brought a lot buzz to GT along with my guys Burnett bay bay and nesbitt beating UGA winning the lone ACC TITLE AND WINNING ACC PLAYER OF THE YEAR OFFENSIVE PLAYER AND BEING AN ALL AMERICAN AND ALL ACC. I love GT until i die. Nfl career wasn’t what i wanted but i had a lot of good games and lived my dream. It’s not how i wanted to end but that’s life i know who i am as a man, but i made a lot of money I’m living comfortably and i enjoyed my journey and my fav times where at GT. I LOVE GT AND TO HELL WITH GEORGIA.
His run against Duke, even though it wasn't a TD run, was amazing. 8, 10, 12....15 Blue Devils couldn't bring diesel down until he got the first down. May have been 20 trying to tackle him. It wasn't his longest play from scrimmage, but the crowd went ballistic

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Some negativity on here about JD. I’m not a fan of that.

I’m a big JD fan. I was at Sanford Stadium 2008. Johnson’s first year. We were down at halftime 16 pts and I was sitting in the UGA section getting heckled. I had ice thrown on me in the rain.

We were playing a very good Georgia team quarterbacked by Matthew Stafford. UGA were sports illustrated supposed to win the national championship that year.

JD and Roddy Jones made those Dawg fans in that section eat öööö. They were Thunder and Lightning the second half.

JD was a hell of a RB.

Paul Johnson called one of his finest games in his career at GT that afternoon too. He school that UGA defense.

LaFlavor

Flats Noob
The play where he just ran right over the Hurricane defender and one where the uVA defender flew back several yards after running into him are some of my favorite plays in Tech history.

I can't find the one versus Miami, but he just flattened the dude.

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
The play where he just ran right over the Hurricane defender and one where the uVA defender flew back several yards after running into him are some of my favorite plays in Tech history.

I can't find the one versus Miami, but he just flattened the dude.
That play was also part of the one of the most brutal death marches I've seen in football. Memorable all around.

law_bee

Dodd-Like
Georgia vs Georgia Tech Preview: Clean, Old Fashioned Hate - Saturday Down  South

that ugag win when we took over the 2nd half in PJ's first year is arguably one the greatest GT wins ever. When they posted that graphic on TV "where's the sting" and then we broke that long run on the next play. JD will always be one of the GT's greatest.

I don't think these young guys understand. We had lost 7 straight and Ugag was full of NFL players. It was an unbelievable comeback.