AP rankings vs recruiting

we have had 6 recruiting classes in the top 25 and ONLY 3 teams ranked in the final poll

Originally posted by law_bee:
we have had 6 recruiting classes in the top 25 and ONLY 3 teams ranked in the final poll
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Doesn't seem like some good rankings have helped us on the field.

Love our players a great deal, but we've not been as loaded as some around here say we are in my opinion.

Go Jackets!

Originally posted by law_bee:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Whatever.

The way the rankers did it, we're 21st in final rankings, 25th in recruiting.

Having top rated recruiting classes is great but in the end I still firmly believe that it is how they are coached that makes the difference. I guess that is why I don't get too upset over our recruiting classes because the rankings can be very subjective.

For instance, I'm from Seattle and root for UW as my second team. They don't even show up on the recruiting Top 25 rankings yet still rank very well in the AP side. In addition, I would argue that they have had better talent during the 90's then quite a few of the teams in the recruiting rankings.

In addition, USC ranks very high on the recruiting side but is nowhere to be found on the AP side.

In the past I think having great talent overcame bad coaching but the parity in football today has begun to show these weaknesses. Frankly we haven't been in the upper class of football teams in recent history and therefore shouldn't expect recruiting classes that are in the top either. You've gotta win a very high percentage of your games on a consistent basis to garner that attention. It starts with taking good (not great) talent and turning them into great players.
That requires putting people in a position to succeed which is the purest definition of great coaching.

Originally posted by bellyseries:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by law_bee:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Whatever.

The way the rankers did it, we're 21st in final rankings, 25th in recruiting.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yes,indeed they did. In that regard we over achieved in the final rankings.

GTPilot. How many of the players stay in the program makes a big difference as well as I see it.

Love our players a great deal, but we've not been as loaded as some around here say we are in my opinion.

Go Jackets![/QB][/QUOTE]I have to agree 100% we were not as loaded as many think.Just a fact of life and we need to admit it so we can look at things in a fair way. Just my opinion.

Indisputable correlation. Perhaps the exact # is not the same, but the range IS. Top10 recruiters are in top10, top20 recruiters are in top20, top25 recruiters are in top25.
People who say recruiting doesn't matter should take a hard look at this. People who think a coupla recruiting classes ranked by Superpreps in the 40s or 50s will play top20 football are whistling past the graveyard.

Back