Ball has some great talent, I just
hope we as fans are willing to put
up with some of his short-comings
during the heat of the battle.

If QB, Ball is unable to move his team,
are we all ready for QB Suggs to take
his place?

"Inquiring Minds Want To Know"

It should be expected that a rookie QB will have some bad moments from time to time but this kid seems to have a great upside with his athletic ability he can put some pressure on some defenses. Also with a kid with this kind of talent most Tech fans will realize that it is just a matter of time until we have us a WEAPON that will be feared by our opponents. I can certainly be patient with him as long as we can see some growth in the kid. We must remember it was not always peaches and cream with Joe Hamilton until he got some experience. I remember the Navy game when little Joe seemed to get frustrated and threw some interceptions and we can look at his sophomore year when we opened at ND and took the second half kickoff and drove the ball inside the Irish ten yard line when little Joe made a bad decision and threw an int. in the EZ when he had two receivers wide open. What hurt so bad was the fact that we were leading the Irish at the time and another TD would have just about closed the door. But we all could see little Joe getting better by the game and he began to really blossom in the second half of his soph season. With a kid like Ball we can expect some growing pains but we will also be rewarded with some unexpected wins that we wouldn't have otherwise had with a slow QB.

Oldgoldbee, since I am not at the practices daily, I cannot determine the status of each player enough to make a decision of who should be playing.

It is obvious the coaches and those attending practice daily are the only ones who have the insight to make player position changes.

Since I do not have the necessary information, I am completely at the mercy of the coaches to make those decisions. The little intelligence I possess tells me the coaches have more data to make the decisions than us keyboard punchers who do not attend practice and have no daily knowledge of the practice results.

If Ball makes mistakes, I have no option, I have to grin and bear it. I could not prove that Bilbo, Sugg, Carter, or Camp would not make the same mistakes.

There are at least three coaches keeping an eye on the quarterbacks, Nix, Geiss, and Gailey. Those three will be responsible for the actions of the quarterback who plays.

It is their decision to place Ball as number one, so any failure here will fall directly on their shoulders. Also, all the positives regarding the move will also be on their shoulders and they will get the credit for the move.

Personally, I don't have a lot of confidence in the Suggs I saw last year, but I don't know how he will perform under Nix. It is possible he will play better under Nix. At any rate, it is not my call, and none of us fans can do anything about it. I guess it does not matter whether I give Chan my okay or not.

Father Time

ahhhhhhhh, football, beer, chili cheese fries, wings, and getting fat=favorite time of year.

i plan on enjoying the season with lower than normal expecations. but.... hopefully there will be some pleasant surprises.

I know that freshman quarterback and mistakes go together. I certainly remember Joe Hamilton's struggles. There was a lot of discussion at one point as to whether he should even be our starting quarterback he made so many mistakes. But if I read the practice reports correctly, Ball is making fewer mistakes after 10 days or so of practice than anyone else, experienced or not. I think that had a lot to do with why Gailey has so much confidence in him this early. If he can show that kind of patience and poise in such a short time, the learning curve may be very short with him. Given the tremendous upside he has as a play maker, I don't see how any Tech fan can not be excited about seeing this guy lead our team.

Go Reggie! I hope he takes the first snap of 2003 and never stops - GT on the way to becoming what we all want - a top 10 team - there is no reason this should not happen eventually.

I am more concerned about special teams than qb/rb/ol/dl etc. Who will shine on kick returns?

Good post and thread OldGoldBee..

Will I give him slack.. yes, because from what I have seen thus far in practice, I think this kid is going to be special.. but, he has to have time to mature.. he will make Freshman mistakes.. but, I think we will be stronger at QB with those mistakes as opposed to staying on a prior course.

I am probably one of the few that hopes to see Suggs play some this year.. I think he can help us.. it will just depend on the game situation.. I dont want to see him start.. but dont want him on the bench all year either.. he can help us, it just needs to be the right situation..

Suggs did have a good practice on Saturday.. probably on par with Ball, if not a little better, but the offense just seems to flow much better with Ball.. Ball has a smoothness about him that the others dont.. even in carrying out fakes or completing a play .. so far he has just seemed to be more complete overall.. its amazing to me how one person can make the other 10 look that much better.. but it is quite evident while watching.. thus far anyway

Can't wait for this season to start. It's always interesting to watch a team with a lot of unknowns.

I think you have to give Ball a lot of leeway this year. You can't develop a quarterback if you take him out after every mistake.

I'll give anybody some slack if I'm seeing effort and improvement. Sometimes in athletics stuff just doesn't work. But if the kids keep their heads in the game, keep the effort up and show me they are learning from their mistakes I can deal with it. It's more when you see the same mistakes over and over that I can lose it.

Back