Arian Foster got 40-50k while playing at Tennessee

cyptomcat

Hibernating
LeBatard pushed Foster for an exact dollar figure. Foster guessed that it was “40, 50 grand throughout my entire career.”

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...s-he-accepted-40-50-grand-from-vols-boosters/

Copy of some Foster tweets before they are deleted:

@ArianFoster
Vol fans, it was a joke. I didn't get no where near 50k.
[nice try Arian]

@ArianFoster
Anybody that went to college w me knows I ain't get no 50k lol

@ArianFoster
Soon we'll live in a world where the employees are paid. ��
Imagine that.

@ArianFoster
“@CaptainHulk3: That's not a joke or funny! I'm sure Coach Fulmer appreciates it!”
Fulmer sittin in a million $ home cuz people like me.

@ArianFoster
“@OlegZeltser: @ArianFoster I am sure the IRS would like it share of your earnings from UT”
Cash isn't traceable.

Maybe one day these kids that bring millions to the university might be able to afford snacks and a cell phone bill during years of playing. Not buying into the free education crap. These guys bring in the money, they should at least get a stipend. I'd take the money if I was in his shoes.

So this came out in 2013 and nobody has looked into it? $40-50k is overlooked and $250 worth of apparel that was returned takes a trophy away?

Maybe one day these kids that bring millions to the university might be able to afford snacks and a cell phone bill during years of playing. Not buying into the free education crap. These guys bring in the money, they should at least get a stipend. I'd take the money if I was in his shoes.

Okay, then lets do away with athletic scholarships. If they can earn an academic scholly then fine. Give them a stipend - 20k/year base with an account for the school to dole out more money to players as they see fit (starters, etc.). Encourage kids to stay in-state and keep more money. And kids with better grades that get academic schollies get rewarded with keeping more money. Then we'll see how many of these assholes want to party through school and then cry about their meaningless degree 5 years later.

They don't bring in the money; when they leave, the games are still on TV and the tickets still sell. Ignoring the brand building and investment by schools is crazy. Our football team practices in a $10MM outdoor facility, the players didn't pay for it or build it.

If anyone should get the bulk of any money from GT it is Joe Hamilton and Calvin Johnson. They built the last two generations of fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They will be getting a reasonable stipend now. No reason to argue for one.

So this came out in 2013 and nobody has looked into it? $40-50k is overlooked and $250 worth of apparel that was returned takes a trophy away?

The amount came out yesterday when he was on a radio show. He probably exaggerated, but it's probably still a pretty good amount...

/MouthFartNoise

Cash isn't traceable? I wasted all this time with bitcoin...

Okay, then lets do away with athletic scholarships. If they can earn an academic scholly then fine. Give them a stipend - 20k/year base with an account for the school to dole out more money to players as they see fit (starters, etc.). Encourage kids to stay in-state and keep more money. And kids with better grades that get academic schollies get rewarded with keeping more money. Then we'll see how many of these assholes want to party through school and then cry about their meaningless degree 5 years later.

So much this.

The NCAA doesn't care about 40-50k, but if there were rumors that he received a sweat shirt and a pair of shoes from a friend of a friend, they'd send a whole team of investigators over, pronto.

If you aren't giving them a scholarship then why would you allow illegal colluding between schools to set the salary you pay them?

In that scenario they would be receding market prices, which would differ per player. And they wouldn't have to pay a penny for college because they wouldn't be going to college (which is already true for 90% of today's football factory athletes anyways).

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...s-he-accepted-40-50-grand-from-vols-boosters/

Copy of some Foster tweets before they are deleted:

@ArianFoster
Vol fans, it was a joke. I didn't get no where near 50k.
[nice try Arian]

@ArianFoster
Anybody that went to college w me knows I ain't get no 50k lol

@ArianFoster
Soon we'll live in a world where the employees are paid. ��
Imagine that.

@ArianFoster
“@CaptainHulk3: That's not a joke or funny! I'm sure Coach Fulmer appreciates it!”
Fulmer sittin in a million $ home cuz people like me.

@ArianFoster
“@OlegZeltser: @ArianFoster I am sure the IRS would like it share of your earnings from UT”
Cash isn't traceable.

That's extremely poor grammar. I dont care who you are.

They don't bring in the money; when they leave, the games are still on TV and the tickets still sell. Ignoring the brand building and investment by schools is crazy. Our football team practices in a $10MM outdoor facility, the players didn't pay for it or build it.

If anyone should get the bulk of any money from GT it is Joe Hamilton and Calvin Johnson. They built the last two generations of fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winning builds generations of fans. Justin Thomas helped get a lot of great momentum and exposure for the school to build on this year, but he wouldn't have been able to do any of that if the O-Line wasn't stepping up and making holes.

That's why offensive linemen get paid a lot in the NFL despite never selling a jersey. That's why colleges are outbidding each other to pay coaches millions and millions of dollars. That's why athletic directors are scheduling OOC patsies and asking the ACC for the week off before Tech. That's why coaches fly in on helicopters and grovel at 17 year old kids' feet in hopes of getting them on campus.

Certainly the players are far from the only aspect in building the totality of college football. But to pretend that they aren't a significant contributor to it ignores the realities that you see when you follow college football day-to-day.

All you have do to see that is think about what would happen if they allowed players to be paid with no salary cap. If the players weren't bringing in the money, then no school would pay them because it wouldn't be worth it.

The NCAA doesn't care about 40-50k, but if there were rumors that he received a sweat shirt and a pair of shoes from a friend of a friend, they'd send a whole team of investigators over, pronto.

It was because DRad stuck his middle finger up at the NCAA. He should have been fired for that.

Back