Artificial Turf Returns?

8-15_BDS_090120_DK-18-1024x683.jpg

Last edited:
So I got the opportunity to design the field, which was a dream come true. I wrote about it here: http://www.thesportsdesignblog.com/2020/09/03/i-really-designed-the-georgia-tech-football-field/
Congrats and thanks for posting this info and the link to your blog. This quote –
I went in assuming, like with most turf fields, Georgia Tech would be getting a permanent design stitched into the turf. It turns out they’ll be painting the field every week like they did with a grass field, so a lot of my more intricate designs were out from the start, but my favorite ones were simpler anyway.
Can you tell us more about this? Why did they choose to do a weekly repaint? Do they literally hose it off? Are more intricate designs simply too expensive to paint weekly?

Congrats and thanks for posting this info and the link to your blog. This quote –

Can you tell us more about this? Why did they choose to do a weekly repaint? Do they literally hose it off? Are more intricate designs simply too expensive to paint weekly?

Thanks! They choose to paint it as opposed to having a permanent design so the field can be used for soccer games, concerts, etc. With a permanent design, you actually get pieces of turf stitched in that are different colors, so it’s not painted — it’s multicolor turf. So things like a skyline would be easy, but painting a skyline every week would take several hours and cost a ton of money in paint and stencils.

If they do it like the Falcons do, there is a mower/zamboni like machine that washes the paint from the turf. Im imagining an industrial carpet washer that you can ride or push around.

If they do it like the Falcons do, there is a mower/zamboni like machine that washes the paint from the turf. Im imagining an industrial carpet washer that you can ride or push around.

Oh yeah, sorry. They have a scrubber like that.

Would love to see a large state of Georgia on the field, filled in with gold. Maybe a star or a buzz representing Atlanta

L

am I seeing things, or is inside the 15 on each side look like a different material than the rest of the field?
Could just be the direction the field was "swept" or something. Looks like each 10 yards is distinctive

Back