As VT and Miami join the ACC officially,

GTTerrific

Dodd-Like
want to welcome them!

Think this is great for our conference. It's great for GT. I'm appreciative of the work involved with the twists and turns that went on as we expanded. Feel this is not a decision based on now, but a decision focused on the future for ALL of our 11 members.

Will it be 12? I feel it will in time. Not sure when that time will be, but am very pleased with the make up of the ACC in all areas with Miami and VT joining the conference.

Go Jackets!

I agree...I'm also warming up to the idea of VT. I think these two teams will create some great FOOTBALL matchups ( I cap football, because frankly, all the other sports are just fillers waiting for the next football season - right ??? ) and thus big games....Bigger games than we would have had than SU and BC....

As far as #12, I would hope that Miami and VT will be able to begin voting asap (anybody know ?) and get a big program w/o the BS from the blue bloods anymore...

The Administrator on the Miami Board said today that Miami and VT will immediately have a voice and vote on any future member. I think this is great as it will neutralize the dominance of the Carolina twins. And yes, I think we will go to twelve within the next year unless the NCAA will allow a playoff game for those leagues with ten.
The Miami board also said that we would have a good idea if that would fly by the middle of July.
They also said that Miami and VT would be proactive in their push for a 12th member. I know such talk is painful to RATFACE AND DEANO.

After a year or so of an elevated quality level of ACC football, we may be able to pick and choose the last member. There has certainly been inquiries from teams like Notre Dame so far, not that they particularly fit the bill, but they kept in contact and watched closely. I think we would now take Notre Dame, if they were willing to accept the same terms as all of the other ACC schools. Notre Dame probably would want the freedom to drop out of the conference without penalty whenever they want and would probably ask for a greater share of the conference sharing pie, both big NO-NO's.
I think most would rather have a true southern team, don't know who. We've gotten speculations about UF, USC, UCF and others that may be a good fit in the revamped ACC. Anything west of the state of Georgia would be out of the question, I believe. I even think UGAg has that potential.
I do believe if one SEC school starts thinking about it, others would do as VT did and try to sneak in the back door. The SEC would then immediately try to steal 2 ACC schools to make 14 (UM & FSU).
By the way, I am very happy VT did it so I'm not slamming them.

Back