Assessment of Game and Team

ahsoisee

Dodd-Like
It is still hard to get a good handle on Tech at this point.

Even though Connecticut scored 14 points in the last quarter, it was against the scrubbs. However, the scrubbs need a lot of work. If they ever want to get qualitiy playing time, they have a tremendous amount of improvement to make the remainder of the year.

I was surprised the scrubbs played that poorly today. I don't know if they are bad or Tenuta has not worked with them as much as he should have. That was the confusing part of the game.

The production by the third string offense was not bothersome either, as Gailey was keeping it vanilla, and Connecticut knew they could jam up the line.

Ford looked good, even though he did not have great stats. The Clemson game is a critical test to us next week. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Bilbo looked a little out of sync today.

Good assessment Ah. I thought the first stringers played fairly well. Of course TOUCHDOWN TONY was the story of the game. Clemson will indeed be keying on him next week. The passing game could be a bit better. Don't know if it was more the receivers' fault or A-J, but it seemed we could've done more through the air in the first half. I was a bit disappointed that Johnathan Smith didn't get more throws. Maybe they are trying to keep him healthy for next week.

The 2nd half was about what you'd expect I suppose with a lead like that. The 2nd team DOES need to improve their sense of urgency. Those third and long plays came back to bite us on the butt WAY too many times in the 2nd half.

Overall, a solid win without giving anything away. We've REALLY got to step it up a notch before we head into Death Valley next weekend!!

bigthumbup.gif

Give UConn some credit for making some nice plays
in that 4th quarter against our 3rd string. There
were a few very nice passes made by the Huskies.

UConn is better than Vandy, no doubt.

I also thought the second and third unit performance was disappointing. Bilbo was not impressive and I see no reason to let Camp play more than one series when it is obvious that Bilbo needs work. It would be interesting to see Bilbo get to work with the first unit.

I think we are in for a difficult afternoon at Clemson.

I was disappointed that too much zone was played with the 2nd and 3rd team. I prefer attacking defenses.

The O was in better sync but still too many penalities.

Overall a good win and a learning experience for the younger players.

Miscmun.gif

as this is my weekend off i was able to watch the game live. the really nice thing since i live in outside of macon i was able to get the radio feed this saturday. the only reason being that ugag or the braves weren't playing and the station let GTech on air. yellow jacket i am in agreement with you about Camp playing but it is nice to get him some reps. but in all relity if they weren't gonna let Bilbo run the option or throw some on first down he wasn't gonna get much practical experience in my opinion.

also enjoyed seeing Hobie Holiday and Kelly Rhino having good days in the defensive alinement. but i hope to see more blitzing and a more active defensive front when we play Clemson.

Hollings has really been a nice find at running back. He looks very fast and like he has excellant balance and vision. I know he is a good athelete i hope all his good running continues in the future cause i know that we are gonna start stepping up in competition next saturday.

since i have been off all day i have been imbibing in my favorite beverage so if some of this is incoherent please forgive me.

drinking.gif
drinking.gif
drinking.gif

uzi.gif
sniper.gif

Lets not forget that the blocking assignments have to be practiced for the 2/3 teams and game practices are more important than the final score as we may need these players if an injury occurs. So the 2/3 team ran vanilla but the bocking and playing making can not be down plyed.

I think...

1st Team:
All in all looked pretty good, but as Ahso states, its hard to guage due to the opposition... I dont like the penalties on offense...the running attack looks good, even though we pretty much played a vanilla package... there were only a handful of variations of the same plays... in my opinion, the passing was average... hopefully as the season progresses, Suggs will find consistency... some are pinpoint, others are not, not sure if this is the QB or routes ran... but just know that we are not on the mark... Defense looked good, but did notice a few missed tackles... and didnt like the fact that we allowed receivers to beat us on a few plays .. if the passes had been there, they would have gone for TD's .. there werent many, but against better opposition, it doesnt take many of those to get out of a game quickly...

2nd and 3rd Teams:
I also agree, there is a big dropoff here... as I watched, I wondered how much more effective Ford would have been with the first team... I hope that there are times that we see both Hollings and Ford together in the backfield, with the first team O ...

All in all I was impressed that the team went up there and took care of business, even though the game was played in a much smaller venue, against a lesser opponent. The guys did seem focused on the task at hand... and got their work done... I liked that... in years past, Tech would have struggled in a similar situation...

Back