Assessment Thus Far

Father WASP

Flats Noob
After watching practice, here is my view:

First, the bad - 1. The defensive line, although without pads, looks way too inexperienced, small and without depth for us to have a big year. 2. To be in shorts, I cannot believe how many of our players are already hurt, gimping or less than full speed.

The good - 1. The team looks more disciplined than last year. Although freshman Grant has some locks hanging out, most appeared more clean cut. Practice looked much more focused and purposeful than last year. 2. Brad Huneycutt. Watching him at guard I see an all ACC player.This guy can move for 300 lbs. 3. The offensive line's first team can be really good - but if anyone goes down the talent falls off considerably.

The question marks - Quarterback. If Bilbo falters, you won't win with a freshman vs. our schedule. Also, after 3 years now, I'm bewildered as to why Camp has never been given more reps (one year he was a fullback). The guy is solidly built, is as accurate with the short ball as anyone we've got, and could add an option run.

The other question mark will be the kickers. I didn't get to see them but if we are to have a chance they have to play well.

Overall, the team reminds me of the Curry years - some good kids who look like they are more disciplined than last year, with a half dozen or so who could play anywhere, but across the 22 short on depth. Nothing new, and also nothing new with the nemisis we have always faced at Tech - a shortage of top notch defensive lineman. Unless Brezina turns out to be a Rock Perdoni type - undersized but smart and quick, I believe we could get hammered by the strong running teams like Auburn and State.

It does appear Gailey might have woken up, and I've always said I can get behind them if they cleaned up and put out, which is what they are doing now. The wins and losses don't matter as much to me is how they play and are they getting better.

I do have some questions as to how these players can show up on the injured list the day they report. Gailey should be asking the strength coach and/or the medical staff how they weren't more involved in the summer.

You've got to be kidding me.

You're #1 point was on the hairstyles of the Student Athletes ?!?!?!

They may be in shorts, but they are hitting pretty hard.

Perdoni was 5'8" I believe and about 230 pounds fully dressed but was a stump. If Brezina has half of Perdoni's heart, he will be a good one.

I'll tell you one thing, these guys really worked hard this summer. You can tell it by looking at them. They are a well conditioned team. So don't go blaming the strength and conditioning program for injuries.

Originally posted by ramblinwise1:
Perdoni was 5'8" I believe and about 230 pounds fully dressed but was a stump. If Brezina has half of Perdoni's heart, he will be a good one.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Rock at 230lbs? Thought it was closer to 250. Great leg drive and upper body.

FatherWasp,
I leave for a few months, and someone steals my signature!!!

I guess if you snooze you lose...
pat.gif

Wonder if the injuries can be attributed to the artificial turf installed on the west half of Rose Bowl field in 2001. I really hated to see that done.

Originally posted by Kennesawkid:
I'll tell you one thing, these guys really worked hard this summer. You can tell it by looking at them. They are a well conditioned team. So don't go blaming the strength and conditioning program for injuries.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Are we conditioned to play four quarters at the Provo altitude in the first game? Oxygen Please!

Originally posted by FHstinger:
Wonder if the injuries can be attributed to the artificial turf installed on the west half of Rose Bowl field in 2001. I really hated to see that done.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Have you actually been on it? Have you played some football (or at least run around on it like a madman) on it? Have you been on it when it is raining?

I have. It is good stuff. Better than real grass in the rain. If you have been on it, you are the first person who has and doesn't like it that I am aware of.

If altitude mattered, Denver would win all the championships every year. Provo is at about 4,500 feet, which is lower in altitude than Denver. If that's all they got, they ought to be worried.

Originally posted by 71YellowJacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ramblinwise1:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Rock at 230lbs? Thought it was closer to 250. Great leg drive and upper body.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">IIRC Perdoni was listed as 5'10 or 11, 235. Runner-up for the Lombardi. His size wasn't too bad for back then. Jim Stillwagon the Lombardi winner that year was considered a hoss.
-Lombardi Winners-

FW, what kind of injuries are you talking about. The ones in the paper today are Fox with muscle spasms, and Robinson with injury to his hand. Tell me how those have anything to do with summer conditioning?

Back