Athletic Department Budget as % of Research Spending

Buzzilla

I'm all out of bubblegum

I'm not sure what meaning can be drawn from this, but it is interesting to note that Georgia Tech is near the bottom of money spent on athletics vs research spending.

I'm not saying that's good or bad or anything else. But it is interesting.

That is a good thing for an Institute of Technology or University. If you are spending as much or more on athletics as you spend on research you ought to be ashamed.

I'm not sure what meaning can be drawn from this, but it is interesting to note that Georgia Tech is near the bottom of money spent on athletics vs research spending.

I'm not saying that's good or bad or anything else. But it is interesting.

Lol at TCU 904%

Define research. That seems to be the largest distinction between some of those schools. Obviously whoever put this together just blatantly disregarded theological study from the numbers which leads to pretty skewed results from schools where that's their primary mission. I'm sure there's other things being discounted that lead to large discrepancies you see in Oregon, Ole Miss, and Alabama. UGA outspends everyone on athletics and isn't exactly a renowned research university, so it's hard to take these numbers seriously.

Interesting. Would’ve guessed higher percentages for Georgia, FSU, and Tx A&M. Makes me wonder what’s counted as research.

Obviously having a med school will lead to higher research numbers.Many small, private religious schools have a mission focused on undergraduate education and with fewer graduate programs will have relatively small research spending.

This is an interesting data point. Of course, it doesn't really tell anything about the quality of research.

u(sic)ga spending millions investigating the potency of pig fart smells shouldn't really count, since their students would do that for free.

It’s really impressive that GT’s is that low without a medical school.
I would assume that these figures include GTRI. Wikipedia indicates $800M annually comes through GTRI mostly from the DOD.

GTRI.png

Interesting. Would’ve guessed higher percentages for Georgia, FSU, and Tx A&M. Makes me wonder what’s counted as research.
Having sex with farm animals counts as agricultural research.

Kudos to Texas. A 3.7 billion student population definitely can help.

I keep saying our results won’t change until the school itself takes it (a lot) more seriously. I’ll keep sounding that alarm until I give up on Tech athletics altogether, or the school steps up in a real way.

Like it or not, the football team is the public face of the institute. ENSURING a strong football program is an excellent investment by the school.

Back