Athlon's college preview mag. revisited

bobby dodds ghost

Damn Good Rat
Athlon\'s college preview mag. revisited

Someone talked about this magazine earlier, but I just finished it and wanted to relay some info.
Tony Hollings on the cover was a bad omen from the get go. Sub-title on cover read..."Are Clemson and Tech getting left behind?"
Athlon 2003 ranked the top 10 best units nationally (QB, RB, WR/TE, OL, DL, LB, and DB). Ga. Tech not listed in any of them.
In the ranked ACC units, with a scale of 1 to 10, Tech's units averaged a score of 5.
Our projected conference finish was 7th out of 9 teams (ahead of UNC and Duke).
Athlons All America teams did not have a Tech player on any of the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd teams.
ACC recruiting class rankings for 2003 had Tech 7th of 9 teams, with our national ranking at 42 of 119.
All ACC 1st Team included Hugh Reilly and Greg Gathers. All ACC 2nd team included Jonathan Smith, Nat Dorsey, and Key Fox.
Quotes from the Tech preview:
"Disheartening losses to rival UGA and then to a depleted Fresno State team in the Silicon Valley Classic cast some doubt as to the wisdom of hiring Gailey. The defection of O.C. Bill O'Brien to Maryland just after signing day and the subsequent shake-up of Gailey's staff only further fueled the perception that things were somewhat amiss at the Flats."
From the Spring Analysis:
"For Gailey's sake, Hollings had better be ready."
pat.gif

Athlon Predicted Finish for Ga. Tech: from 2-10 to 4-8 (this with Hollings)
Athlons national ranking of all Division 1 teams: Ga. Tech ranked #65 out of 119, a few below Wake Forest, and just below North Texas and UNLV.
Mac McWhorter's photo appears in the magazine, as he is touted as a future head coach with an excellent track record. Mentions his coaching victory at GT against Ty Willingham and Stanford.
Athlon's Babe section always impresses. The Delta Kappa from UNC is sporting incredible sweater meat (a must-see for any true ACC fan).
I know, Ol Ghost and his gloom and doom....Athlon's got my back this time.
BOO

Re: Athlon\'s college preview mag. revisited

sounds like they have the popular stingtalk opinion in print!

very cool

Beeware Athlon, Jr., I remember him!

Predictions and projections are what they are: a guess, a hypothesis! Sure, I have gotten excited when I see Tech in the top 25 and even top 10 in some past year's magazines. But we are GT fans, and we should know one thing:

When we are supposed to be good, we underachieve. When we are picked to be bad, we overachieve.

The magazines are for 2 things:
1) Fun, to get people through summer until August
2) To look at cheerleaders
grin.gif

Yes, I have Athlon's magazine from this year, and I was disappointed about their projection for Tech. But hey, come August, I think it will be an entirely different story. Less than 2 months till Provo baby!

Originally posted by bellyseries:
Beeware Athlon, Jr., I remember him!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">i'm sure they must have discussed under Duke that they have the youngest and brightest defensive co-ordinator.

besides that .. it's beeware .. completely and totally

I have been buying the football magazines for as long as they have been published.

Athlon's is always slanted toward the SEC. It is the least desirable and reputable of all the football magazines. It always appears that it is written by UGA sportswriters. I would not be surprised to find out Mark Bradley is a ghost writer and editor.

I would never put any confidence in that magazine. It is a joke.

rolleyes.gif

I buy the magazines every year too... all of them.. but dont pay much attention to the rankings... remember, these same guys had us picked 9th in 2001... and barely on the radar in 2000... I think they also have UGAG picked pretty high... I will bet a case of cold ones that both the Tech and UGAG predictions are waaaay wrong this year !!

It kills me to say this, but I'm afraid Athlon is just about right on the money concerning our 2003 season. "Questioning the wisdom on hiring Gailey".....I'm gonna remember that one. Oh well,...let's hope for the best and get the train-wreck over with,.....cause it's just around the bend.

GATA JACKETS!!!!

Back