Auburn coach tailors offense to fit players

He's been a system coach since he left UH and became a head coach. He has his 20+ years of comfort zone running his offense and adjusting to what the D shows early.

Why would he stray from what he knows to try something very different and then have to completely abandon his comfort zone and figure out a different way to coach.

If some school right now floated to their fanbase that they would hire CPJ right now for the same money, but with the condition he run a different offense, what would be the response?

It is what it will ever be.

That was sort of my point. He's attached to his option offense and the recruits don't like it, so we're about as good as we're going to be. I think he would be great at a program that's down and wants to get back to respectability - schools like Purdue or UVA. We were already an annual bowl team before he got here and it wasn't good enough then so he's not going to garner the same level of admiration here that he would at a place like Purdue (or what he had at Navy) by simply being slightly above .500.

Last edited:
I did not see a whole lot of skills to tailor to. The fall down before you get hit skill, the throw a screen pass ten feet over your receivers head skill, or the stop and dance and turn a no gain into a 5-yard loss skill? Oh wait I almost forgot the get a 10 yard gain only to fumble skill.

You forgot the go 9 yards on a run then jimmy juke left & right on 3rd & 10 skill.

This system requires players to buy into it. They won't do that when the media their family and their high school coaches tell them not to. Therein lies most of the problem with Vad don't forget that much of the fan base doesn't want to believe in the offense either. Because for some reason people jizz themselves at a jet sweep over a rocket toss and a short slant over an portion dive.

That was sort of my point. He's attached to his option offense and the recruits don't like it, so we're about as good as we're going to be. I think he would be great at a program that's down and wants to get back to respectability - schools like Purdue or UVA. We were already an annual bowl team before he got here and it wasn't good enough then so he's not going to garner the same level of admiration here that he would at a place like Purdue (or what he had at Navy) by simply being slightly above .500.

I'm not sure if the recruits dislike it as much as you think. Tons of high school teams are running option offenses these days, plenty from under center. It goes back to the chicken/egg thing, but I think almost all negative assumptions would go away if we had some extended success running it. IMO if we strung a few 2009 type years together in a row, perceptions would be a LOT different.

Back