Auburn/GT

gnats67

Dodd-Like
Braine MUST go if he or whoever cannot revive this series. They're not just not paying attention, THEY'RE BRAINDEAD!!!

The old "We're ACC, they're SEC" arguments don't hold water anymore. Who is Auburn's AD? Are they braindead, too?

This series should have been revived years ago and not on this "nostalgia" we'll play ya every hundred years bull-hockey either.

Colonel Jim, or somebody, please step up and help us. We want Auburn back on our schedule. ANNUALLY!

Fer chrissakes...

Gnats, I could not agree more.

It happened Wednesday morning.... For the first time in years I became truly fired up for a football game other than ugag so early in the week. The feeling during ugag week isn't fun, its just hatred.

Of course, I am a Tech product of the independent years when we played our sec schedule.

Playing Auburn every year should be a no braine.. r. If we can't play them every season, Tenn. can fill in.

Were any 'real' reasons given as to why this rivalry can't be renewed on a more regular basis? References to an expanded ACC don't hold water with me since they are talking about divisions anyway and therefore the same # of conf. games a year.

I know schedules are made years in advance and I could sit tight for a few years if I knew they were working on getting them on a regular rotation.

I agree with UncleBee, Those were great rivalries and GTech football has rarely been on par with those programs (Bama, Auburn and the Vols) since then.

Originally posted by JacksonJacket:
[QB]Were any 'real' reasons given as to why this rivalry can't be renewed on a more regular basis? QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I don't think Auburn is looking for away games. I'm sure Tech wants to keep a certain number as well. Auburn just cancelled a home & home with Clemson.(Clemson cancelled the other 2 of 4 a while back) From what I've heard, Auburn is about to start additions/renovations to Jordan-Hare and wants the extra home games.

JMB

I was listening to Wes Durham and Tony Barnhardt's show yesterday and they were saying that the conference television contracts were making it difficult. The ACC and SEC have contracts with different networsk and it creates a terf fight over who gets to broadcast the game.

I'm not sure that is accurate, but that is what they said limits ACC/SEC games.

Broadcast rights! What turf fight? The same ruling in 1982 which called ABC Sports/NCAA package an unlawful trust violation gives the BC rights directly to the schools and they in turn may (not by force) allow their conferences to negotiate those rights on their behalf.

Of BCS Noteworthiness... Anything more than a conference affiliation becomes illegal as a collusive monopoly pursuant to that settled case long ago... By the way, that is precisely the reason the BCS has no legal ground to stand on as it negotiates on behalf of over half the Division 1-A schools but excludes nearly half and that's way more than one conference; but that's another issue.

SO, what all this means is that when UGa (yes the hated Bulldogs) and UOk (Sooners) sued the NCAA+ABC and won; the broadcast rights was decided by a court and the decision upheld on appeal. Since you have two competing conferences ALL such BC rights belong to the HOME TEAM in every situation unless negotiated out. Theoretically if TBS paid one conference $250,000/team per game and CBS paid $350,000 per team per game, then I suppose you get disparity when a team travels to the lower paying venue.

But there is no argument as to whose rights prevail. It's the home team.

Sorry I had to mention the fact that you can enjoy lots of GaTECH football from anywhere they play as a result of some good thing done by Vince Dooley and the UGa people who had the nads to challange the NCAA and ABC Sports two decades ago... Go figure!

Been a Tech fan since the early 60's (graduated in 71) and I can safely say that except for Georgia, Tech does not have any present day rivalries that even compare to the ones they had with Auburn, Alabama, and Tennessee. I would love to see the renewal of these games in some way.

I've felt like the ACC has pretty much sold out to the TV people which has shown up by when we have our games.
Agreed w/Uncle B. I miss those old rivalries of the past and I'd like to see us get them back. Some of the schools we are playing lately really don't bring much to the table. Can remember as a child when our family went to Knoxville for a game. The stadium was the biggest thing I'd ever seen in my life. Good game too.

SFW wrote:

you can enjoy lots of GaTECH football from anywhere they play as a result of some good thing done by Vince Dooley and the UGa people who had the nads to challange the NCAA and ABC Sports two decades ago... Go figure!

I did not remember this, and isn't it ironic that ugag won't schedule an ooc road game further than Clemson, SC and they hate it when they do.

On another note, I wonder what our strength of schedule ranking would be if we played our schedule of the early '80s? (Al.,Florida, Tenn., S.Carolina,Clemson, Auburn, ugag, Notre Dame... with Navy, Tulane and Memphis State.)

Back