B Back position

Mills was clearly the better back. We go bowling last year if Mills were still here. Marshall was faster, but he didn’t grind those 1yard gains into 3 yard gains, which you need at BB.

It is weird that we're arguing about this, since we all agree they were both great backs. But freshman Mills beat out sophomore Marshall for the starting spot in 2016. Me and the coaches pick Dedrick.
We would be in a great position if either one was still here. Mills probably won because he was a better fit for this offense where he more consistently churned out positive yards. I can't fault coach nor am I criticizing.

Ponchez Mason looks good to me. Jerry sometimes carries the ball like a loaf of bread and he’ll fumble. Always worried when he’s in there but he has looked good as of late.

Jerry Howard sucks. Always has had ball security issues.

Benson had zero fumbles on 204 carries in 2017.
4 fumbles in 11 games 2017, lost them all.

upload_2018-11-2_11-32-18-png.6274

edit to add, 2 against Pitt(29 rushes), 1 NC(18), and 1 Clemson(16).

We've had B-back fumbling issues 2 years in a row now, and they don't have anything to do with the option.

Most of the fumbles have nothing to do with a pitch or mesh. It's just guys getting the ball ripped out of their hands. I'm saying we can't just chalk these fumbles up as a side effect of running the option. They're inexcusable.

Most of the fumbles have nothing to do with a pitch or mesh. It's just guys getting the ball ripped out of their hands. I'm saying we can't just chalk these fumbles up as a side effect of running the option. They're inexcusable.
Gotcha.

I believe it is an effect of this Offense.How many backs that we sign run from a close to center/QB formation in hi school ? Then it seems our more experienced B backs (especially) don't seem to fumble as much.

I believe it is an effect of this Offense.How many backs that we sign run from a close to center/QB formation in hi school ? Then it seems our more experienced B backs (especially) don't seem to fumble as much.

Most of the fumbles are happening several yards downfield, though. Also, I can't find stats, but I don't remember us having these type of fumbling problems until very recently. Did Dedrick Mills ever fumble the ball (or lose yards, for that matter)?

Most of the fumbles are happening several yards downfield, though. Also, I can't find stats, but I don't remember us having these type of fumbling problems until very recently. Did Dedrick Mills ever fumble the ball (or lose yards, for that matter)?
I think he fumbled once, maaaaybe twice in his one season. Its definitely not an offense specific thing. I don't know if players were coached to hold the ball differently in past seasons but it has been a team problem this year.

It may be a size/strength thing also.Mills was 225--bigger than any back in last 3 yrs.

Mills had the strong potential to be a generational type player at his position and let it go. Had he been here 3 or 4 years, we may very well have talked about him like we do CJ, Joe, and other greats. He was that good as a freshman and was only looking to be better.

Back