Bad loss but fine line despite score

eball

Varsity Lurker
Yeah, we lost 41-17 but I honestly believe before we read too much in to this seemingly lopsided loss we should consider the fine line between winning and losing this game. Really, 2 plays decided this game. The drop by Nate Curry which would have tied the game at 17 and the interception returned for a touchdown thrown by Ball when it was 27-17. If you take away those 2 plays, we win that game. We would not have been in desparation mode and Duke likely would not have scored that last TD. Granted we should put Duke away easily but Tennessee had to stop Duke in the red zone twice in the fourth quarter to hold on to their win the week before. Bad loss, yeah but do not read too much in to it. There has not been as much of a drop off as people perceive. I think we will win this weekend and pull off one of the last 2 games in an upset. The Continental Tire Bowl looks like a strong possibility if we can do this. Most of these games really are decided on a fairly fine line. Maybe we will be on the right end of that line in a couple more games.

Agreed. Dook outgained us by only a few yards in spite of our pourous defense. If we'd not kept giving them the ball (4 t/o) and followed through on our offensive series we win that game.

After much thought I'd have to conclude that the primary factor in the game was our lengthy time away from the battlefield. Dook was battle tested (UT in Knoxville) and we were a tad soft after so much time off. A little goes a long way in Div 1.

I actually couldn't disagree more, and in fact, this goes to my greatest concern in the next few years as we evaluate where Chan takes us. I'm concerned that some Tech fans, as happened during Bill Lewis' regime, will lower their expectations.

As JacketGuy likes to quote, it's simple.
Losing to Duke by 24 points is INEXCUSABLE. We should not give up 41 points and have the same yardage as Duke, period. This loss is much more than two or three plays, two or three turnovers. You're talking about "what ifs" that would simply have kept the game close.

The FSU loss was two or three plays, two or three turnovers. I don't blame the team for losing that game -- they gave a great effort.

Don't you guys remember Bill Lewis in his last year excusing loss after loss as a few mistakes here and there? He loved the phrase "little steps of improvement" even after we would be manhandled in games. To me, it's coach speak to cover the butt and avoid admitting you can't figure out a solution. I give Chan a lot of credit for just saying straight out, we screwed up.
Last Saturday, we were outclassed by the worst program in the conference. I'm not saying fire the coach or anything rash or take away from Duke's effort, but a good, strong bowl program needs to take care of business against 2-7 teams (or now 3-7 teams). We flat out blew it Saturday. And if such efforts develop into a pattern, it's lower performance than we should expect at Georgia Tech.

Back