Baloney, Frosh play because failure to get & retain players!

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
That's not good, not good at all. Not to say the Fr are not good players, some will be decent to good div1a players, but that so many will be playing that are not ready. Sampson & Eziemefe were forced to play when not ready (coaches had already decided to rs both) because of the terrible injuries we had @ RB.
In '02 we could've taken more than 16, but that's all Chan got & he has now lost FOUR of them (Sampson, McNair, McHargue & Bridges) & 3 of them were pushing for starting jobs. That leaves TWELVE from the class of '02 & Ivery messed up a knee. Hope we don't lose more in Aug.
In '03 we could've taken more than 21, but that's all Chan got & he has now lost ONE of them with the others not even reporting yet. If ya think all 20 of those will be here next yr, this time, u're not in today's world.
There could be more players gone with the end of Summer Semester. They'd join the already SIX upper classmen not coming back. Just wait til injuries start coming in Aug, Sept, etc.
Gailey has GOT to get us more ACC calibre players in here. Gailey has GOT to run our football program which I thought we hired him to do. Does he know how to get ACC competitive players? & keep them? Does he know how to run a div1a football program? It's very sad to be asking these questions after 2 recruiting seasons, 1 football season & 1.5 yrs on the job.
Chan's a good man & a good coach, but my question is: CAN HE GET THE PLAYERS TO WIN & BE IN THE UPPER ESCHELON OF THE ACC & WIN THE ACC? CAN HE GET THE PLAYERS???????

Good questions, Ace, but why put it all out there for the world to see? What would you do differently than Coach Gailey has done? Just put yourself in his position and think about it for awhile...it seems to me he was handed a raw deal except for the salary. In his exact position what you have done differently???
No one knows his daily schedule....no one knows his pain...no one knows the hours he puts in, no one knows his determination. As a matter of fact no one knows much other than what we are told in AJC and rumor mill. What specifically would you do? And this is considering what restrictions would/have been placed upon you? I think the best thing we can do if we truly love Georgia Tech is "let up" and let the man do the best he can; give him the benefit of the doubt. He was not handed a "no lose" situation.O'L was in the position of having to make some changes or find another place. Gailey was handed an "iffy" situation, a mongrel staff, and then on top of it all had an inordinate amount of injuries to key players. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt.....at least until about the 4th game of the season. I am amazed at the "surperior complexed" individuals that have unloaded on him; especially to his back. I always say, if a man/woman is not brave enough to speak to a man face to face he is not worthy to be heeded.

I think the frosh coming forward this year may be one of the most refreshing things we've seen in some time. Please remember these aren't little kids that don't know how to play football. Ideally, you have a program that recruits and redshirts, which I'm sure we'll get back to, but there's nothing fatalistic about putting "the team" on the field. Look for good things to come out of this class.

I whole-heartedly agree! True Freshman can
and will not be able to compete against teams
with Soph,Jr. and Sr. redshirts. There is no
comparison. I am gald to see that some of my
fellow GT supporters are not living in a
"dream world" and have accepted the hard facts
of reality.

The fact is some freshmen can compete with sophs, jrs, and srs. Look at UVA last year for proof. However, it's also true you don't want to play frosh because you have to. You want to do it if they force you to due to their ability. What we are facing this year is a situation where some will play simply because of lack of other alternatives. OTOH, it's not only a situation that freshmen can take advantage of, but also those RS-FR and sophs who haven't had much playing time up til now. We'll find out how strong our team is from top to bottom. It could be a refreshing change, or it could be trouble. Personally I think we have enough talent to put a competitive team on the field. However, we can't afford too many guys to not play up to their potential and we have to hope that this is a "good" year for injuries. I'm not predicting 13-0, but I'm also not giving up like some around here.

That's not entirely true...If you recall, as GOL's recruiting improved, many of the incoming frosh would win starting jobs over the incumbant from the previous year. It wasn't until O's 3rd or 4th year that we were able to begin stockpiling talent.

However, the number of flunkouts we've had does ensure an exceptional large number of freshmen will get an opportunity to play. Not the situation I would prefer, but not necessarily the death knoll of the program, either.

Back