Best defense

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
I think you are confusing Matt Ryan with Brady Quinn. There was a definite fix in the Notre Dame game game, they were freaking tackling our DL. Matt Ryan just picked the defense apart.
This BS was all game.

kirk.susong

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Dodd had a couple of teams in the fifties that allowed less than 50 or 60 points all year, against a full SEC schedule. With multiple shut outs and a couple of field goals allowed with no TD's surrendered.
If we're going to compare across eras, during the ten seasons from 1911-1920, we gave up less than 4 pts per game... for a decade (while averaging multiple touchdowns ourselves).

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
From the north stands I watched a plastic flask descend from the west stands and hit the ump in the head following this call. The fanbase got a penalty called on them. Worth it.
I think that was probably the most agitated crowd I have ever been a part of at GT. When BC had the ball backed up near the south end zone, cups and garbage were being thrown at Ryan as he dropped into the end zone to pass. I thought we were going to get a crowd penalty. BC was blatantly holding all game and I truly believe the ACC allowed it to protect a league star and Heisman candidate. The crowd was practically a mob we were so fed up.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
CPJ was hosed when the faced a DL that could simply dominate the line of scrimmage like LSU & Iowa. He did ok in bowls against teams like Mississippi State or Kentucky that couldn't.

I don't ever remember Tenuta making an adjustments. Either a team could read the blitz or it couldn't.
MSU had an excellent defense that year. Fortunately for us, CGC defensive scheme performs poorly against the flexbone.

And every offense struggles against a team that dominates the LOS. That is a hallmark of what Saban and Sweeney have done.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
I think that was probably the most agitated crowd I have ever been a part of at GT. When BC had the ball backed up near the south end zone, cups and garbage were being thrown at Ryan as he dropped into the end zone to pass. I thought we were going to get a crowd penalty. BC was blatantly holding all game and I truly believe the ACC allowed it to protect a league star and Heisman candidate. The crowd was practically a mob we were so fed up.
Notre Dame in the 1970's. ('78?) Dirtiest game ever played against us, and the refs were complicit. Imagine a db clotheslining a GT wr in front of a ref and the ref threw a flag. We cheered, and thought, "Finally" only for the call to be offensive pass interference. It was like that all game. Another example was ND punt that went out the back of the end zone untouched and one ref tried to spot the ball on the one.

Crowd was livid... futbol level livid. Crowd threw everything they had at ND and would have hit officials if they could. They stopped play so the team that had tried to cripple Eddie Lee Ivory all game could get away from the sidelines and "pray." They say we threw frozen fish but I never saw any evidence. Anyone who knows first hand reply here. I think it is just another hypocritical ND slander.

The Champ

Dodd-Like
Even in the Matt Ryan game, where Tenuta’s D was torched by the best QB in the country and our D hosed by the refs, we gave up…24 points.

The Champ

Dodd-Like
From the north stands I watched a plastic flask descend from the west stands and hit the ump in the head following this call. The fanbase got a penalty called on them. Worth it.
Guy next to me launched a small glass Jack Daniels bottle from the north end zone, went through the goal posts, and I swear it landed on 40 yard line. Guy had a hose on him

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
Even in the Matt Ryan game, where Tenuta’s D was torched by the best QB in the country and our D hosed by the refs, we gave up…24 points.
Man I don’t think I’ll ever forget that game. BC OL holding on every freaking play, get called for half of them. I think at the team the penalties was only 10 yards from LOS and repeat the down. So a no brainer to hold if you have to.

GEETEELEE

We suck this much.
Our own @beej67 chunked it. It was a water bottle, it didn’t hit the ref, but came close. I was in the lower west, the ref directly in front of me and the bottle came over my head from the upper deck.

bandman

Damn Good Rat
Notre Dame in the 1970's. ('78?) Dirtiest game ever played against us, and the refs were complicit. Imagine a db clotheslining a GT wr in front of a ref and the ref threw a flag. We cheered, and thought, "Finally" only for the call to be offensive pass interference. It was like that all game. Another example was ND punt that went out the back of the end zone untouched and one ref tried to spot the ball on the one.

Crowd was livid... futbol level livid. Crowd threw everything they had at ND and would have hit officials if they could. They stopped play so the team that had tried to cripple Eddie Lee Ivory all game could get away from the sidelines and "pray." They say we threw frozen fish but I never saw any evidence. Anyone who knows first hand reply here. I think it is just another hypocritical ND slander.
At that time. the seniors sat in upper east and the band was in lower east. i thought the fish was funny (mostly thrown before the game when they came running out). I stopped laughing when liquor bottles (not airline stuff, big ones) came flying out of the upper east with about 3 min to go in the game - I didn't want those coming down on me. Notre Dame players never took off their helmets on the sideline the whole game. When a big bottle hit the ground on the sideline, the ND team actually went out onto the field. Not our finest hour.