Best Ga Tech coaches since Dodd Poll

Who are the three best GT coaches since Bobby Dodd retired?

• Bud Carson 27-27

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Bill Fulcher 12-10-1

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Pepper Rodgers 34-31-2

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Bill Curry 31-43-4

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Bobby Ross 31-26-1

Votes: 180 78.6%
  • Bill Lewis 11-19

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • George O'Leary 52-33

Votes: 191 83.4%
  • Chan Gailey 44-32

Votes: 10 4.4%
  • Paul Johnson 82-61

Votes: 183 79.9%
  • Geoff Collins 9-25

Votes: 7 3.1%

• Total voters
Yeah, those Orange Bowls, ACCC, ACCCG, and beating the dawgs x 3 in their house..........were completely program destroying. And, no I don't want him back and yes it was time to drop the TO.

Yes they were. I'm glad we've reached agreement. 3X mutts is nice - should've had at least 3 more if PJ was a better close-game HC.

3IAR vs mutts is better IMO. Looks less fluky.

Damn near every GT team in the last 50 years was a good QB away from a great season.

Gomer’s problem was his style was like he was playing to get into the NFL playoffs. College is a single elimination deal for 95% of the teams not named Bammer, Ohio St, Notre Dame, etc.

No idea what you're talking about as GOL, Ross, and PJ all had some great QB's at some point in their tenure.

Gailey didn't have a single one. Reginald Ball, AJ Suggs, Taylor Bennett. These guys were horrible.

Damn near every GT team in the last 50 years was a good QB away from a great season.

Gomer’s problem was his style was like he was playing to get into the NFL playoffs. College is a single elimination deal for 95% of the teams not named Bammer, Ohio St, Notre Dame, etc.

I don't know, I think CPJ's problem was a lack of a defense. He didn't have problems scoring points against most teams.

Not sure of the relevacy of your reply in a discussion about PJ and GOL?

Here's one that's more relevant: No GT HC has ever blown a 20-0 home lead vs the mutts until PJ did so in 2013.
Kinda difficult to blow a lead when you beat them on their sacred home turf when taking a knife to a gun fight....3 times, huh? Let's focus now on getting a lead of any damned magnitude on em.

I don't know about that. We played Samford quite a few times and Vandy & Conn were pretty much equivalent to FCS.

Huh?

Wins vs FCS teams
PJ 14 (11 years)
CG 3 (6 years)
GOL 1 (6 years)

There were also a lot more games against MTSU, Bowling Green, Tulane types that watered down win % as schedules expanded too

It was a lot harder to win 7 games in the 90s or 00s that it has been in the last decade

Why did anyone vote for Lewis or Collins? Carson, Fulcher and Rogers were all much better coaches.
Not sure what went on with Fulcher. He had everything he needed, including good coaching (though not HC) experience. For some reason, he apparently felt he was just overall beat and just couldn't continue. I have seen and talked with him several times over the past few years, and he still looks great.

Huh?

Wins vs FCS teams
PJ 14 (11 years)
CG 3 (6 years)
GOL 1 (6 years)

There were also a lot more games against MTSU, Bowling Green, Tulane types that watered down win % as schedules expanded too

It was a lot harder to win 7 games in the 90s or 00s that it has been in the last decade
Who is more responsible these days for making schedules,. the HC or the AD? I assume both are involved, but I tend to blame TStan for them more than CPJ or Collins. I'm not sure what to think about what DRad might have done while he was Tech AD, but I don't remember Clemson playing any awesome OOC teams while he was there.

Kinda difficult to blow a lead when you beat them on their sacred home turf when taking a knife to a gun fight....3 times, huh? Let's focus now on getting a lead of any damned magnitude on em.

that wasn't even a good attempt to deflect. 20-0 at home with Coach DeathMarch and still lost. should've beaten the mutts at least twice at BDS. The 3 wins in 11 years were a nice change from Gailey but let's not lower ourselves to be thrilled about a 27% win rate.

3 in 11 < 3 IAR

that wasn't even a good attempt to deflect. 20-0 at home with Coach DeathMarch and still lost. should've beaten the mutts at least twice at BDS. The 3 wins in 11 years were a nice change from Gailey but let's not lower ourselves to be thrilled about a 27% win rate.

3 in 11 < 3 IAR
We have a 33% win rate against the mutt with coaches not named Dodd, 38% counting Dodd.

Bring back Goof and Donnan, get us a real coach and maybe that will improve.

Back