Big 10 going conference only

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Article says part of the rationale for going to conference only is "By limiting competition to other Big Ten institutions, the Conference will have the greatest flexibility to adjust its own operations throughout the season and make quick decisions in real-time based on the most current evolving medical advice and the fluid nature of the pandemic."

In other words, this isn't the final word, whatsoever. I am definitely starting to think it is spring football or no football.

jts1207

Memes posted are not fact checked for accuracy
Why have any games at all? I'm not sure what this helps

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Agreed. You are cutting exposure by only 25 percent and that isn't a game changer. Either it's deemed safe to play or it isn't. If not, wait and play a full season with fans.

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
???

If the alternative is cancellation, I'd say this helps as much as necessary to salvage the season. Making it conference-only probably allows regulations to be mandated on how travel, attendance, etc is controlled. Other conferences appear to be following suit, so there will be some uniformity at least

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
So, ND has the deal with the ACC. This has gotta be the death penalty for the likes of UConn, but why are they playing FBS ball, anyway? What about BYU?

Flywheel

Wait, what year is it?
Anyone who loses a home game after visiting the B10 is going to court over this.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
So, ND has the deal with the ACC. This has gotta be the death penalty for the likes of UConn, but why are they playing FBS ball, anyway? What about BYU?
It’s not just death for the independents. The mid majors like Georgia Southern, App State and down are going to get hit big too. Those programs depend on the payout they get from being a tuneup for LSU and Bama to make their AAs work.

txsting

Elite level sh*tposting
My bet is ACC would include ND as "conference" in this case.
i think we would be obligated to give them 5 games if we play. But yes I'd be all for putting them fully in. Of course that isn't happening, football or no football.

txsting

Elite level sh*tposting
what is the big covid-related help of "conference only" schedules? Less games, potentially an easy way to buy an extra month at start of the season?

GTWannaBee

Dodd-Like
what is the big covid-related help of "conference only" schedules? Less games, potentially an easy way to buy an extra month at start of the season?
Schedule flexibility is what the Big Ten said. It allows them to move games around more easily if necessary.

79tech

Damn Good Rat
One would thing that UGA game could be played given last game of the year - however - if you make the championship game, you could be exposing your team as well as your championship conference opponent to out of conference corona. For tht reason - I think UGA game is toast.

samsgt02

Dodd-Like
One would thing that UGA game could be played given last game of the year - however - if you make the championship game, you could be exposing your team as well as your championship conference opponent to out of conference corona. For tht reason - I think UGA game is toast.
Exactly. We need to protect our players before we go to the ACC championship. We’d probably catch something much worse than COVID from those filthy animals.

18in32

Petard Hoister
It’s not just death for the independents. The mid majors like Georgia Southern, App State and down are going to get hit big too. Those programs depend on the payout they get from being a tuneup for LSU and Bama to make their AAs work.
I think it's more likely this'll be the death of yet more men's athletic teams at those schools. Football at Ga Southern can pay its own way. But nothing else can at the level of expenditure they've gotten familiar with. So when revenue drops, they don't kill the goose that lays the golden egg, but the men's non-revenue sports.

jts1207

Memes posted are not fact checked for accuracy
Schedule flexibility is what the Big Ten said. It allows them to move games around more easily if necessary.

Thats a bs excuse. What are they going to do.... postpone a week if they have x number of players with it? Makes 0 sense

BainbridgeJacket

F*** Joe Biden
Thats a bs excuse. What are they going to do.... postpone a week if they have x number of players with it? Makes 0 sense
It means they're going to try to make a run of it by being more controlling of travel, etc., but recognize that this gives them the ability to halt, postpone, or cancel real time. I don't think we have a season, but they're going to wait until the last minute for such decisions.