BIG wins this season

JacketFanPCB

Damn Good Rat
I was thinking about this season as a whole after listening for the UMPTEENTH time to that great montage of Munson/Durham from our 2000 season. Y'know the stuff from Munson: "Tech's offense at this moment is BRILLIANT to watch...Tech is just marching this thing down the field like we were Wake Forest or Maryland or somebody, etc" And of course the Durham stuff like the D. Smith interception and TD return at UGA, and "The catch" at Clemson that year.

At any rate, after thinking about those two BIG wins that year, I would be happy if we could get TWO OR THREE of THESE BIG wins this year:

1/Georgia
2/Clemson
3/FSU
4/Maryland
5/Auburn.

If we could win AT LEAST TWO of those games, I'm sure we'd have some great highlights to get us through 'til next year NO MATTER HOW we finish the season as a whole. We just haven't had any big rival wins the last two years and we especially need to avenge some tough conference losses to Clemson and Maryland!

There's no room for error; and, it will be hard to tell until the game is played, but I think 2 of those big wins are probably doable. With hard work, heart, and lucky breaks with injuries, Tech could have a slightly better year than projected. Lets hope so anyway!!!
grin.gif
But no matter what folks, buy those tickets and fill those seats. Support those Jackets that we all profess to love. STING 'EM!!

Auburn Will Beat Us like a rented mule. That is one game I predict will get real ugly, probably not as bad as UGA last year but something similar to the MD game.

Also, the ACC can expand all they want and of course I'm definitely for it, but Atlanta will be SEC territory and always will be.

South Georgia Jacket

Originally posted by SouthGa:
Auburn Will Beat Us like a rented mule. That is one game I predict will get real ugly, probably not as bad as UGA last year but something similar to the MD game.

Also, the ACC can expand all they want and of course I'm definitely for it, but Atlanta will be SEC territory and always will be.

South Georgia Jacket
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I disagree with Atlanta will always be an SEC territory. I believe that the Atlanta metropolitan area will become a fertile ground for us with teams Miami, Syracuse and BC coming to town with FSU, NC State, Clempson, UVA and MD also on the roster - of course we always play UGetanA. Hopefully, we won't get stuck in a with Wake and Dookie as permanent football foes. I would much rather see Miami and FSU play us than Tennessee, any Mississippi school, South Carolina, Kentucky, Vandy(I know we play them) or Arkansas. Atlanta is a beautiful city that is has gotten a lot nicer since '96. There is tons to see and do there. Why someone would want to be in Athens, Knoxville, Podunk Mississippi, Columbia, Auburn or any other SEC city is beyond me.
Tech just needs to step up its metro Atlanta recruiting efforts and reap the benefits of having such a great location.

Originally posted by JacketFanPCB:
[QB]I was thinking about this season as a whole after listening for the UMPTEENTH time to that great montage of Munson/Durham from our 2000 season. Y'know the stuff from Munson: "Tech's offense at this moment is BRILLIANT to watch...Tech is just marching this thing down the field like we were Wake Forest or Maryland or somebody, etc" And of course the Durham stuff like the D. Smith interception and TD return at UGA, and "The catch" at Clemson that year.

JacketfanPCB, thanks for bringin up some of those memories. I have the picture of the catch at Clemson from Godsey to Watkins with the left hand. Beautiful! My favorite radio call though, was Munson in '99 when we got to try a second field goal in OT. he said something like, "We stopped them once; there's no way we can do it again. The kick is up, it's good, and Tech has beaten us."
My second favorite was the one on the radio with Daryl's return in Athens in 2000 to make it 27-3 before the half.

So Larry's such a legend that we're picking our favorite calls of his on a Tech board? Wow. The obsession continues...did you hear him during the game last year?

PLEASE ignore the bait from the dog and let's NOT derail this good thread!!!

Let's just talk about the BIG games that we REALLY want to win next year. The ones I mentioned were the ones I want to win the most. What say YOU???

smile.gif

1) Georgia
2) Florida State
3) Maryland
4) Auburn
5) Clemson
6) virginia

1) Georgia
2) Florida State
3) Auburn
4) Clemson
5) Virginia
6) Maryland

There's no large margin between those last three, I just put them in random order because the Clempsun, Virginia, and Maryland games are equally important to me.

1/Georgia - "To Hell with Georgia" I say we start treating them like Florida does.
2/Clemson - Remember when the Fridge was there and they were supposed to whup us at Grant Field? They were better then and didn't. Look at the all time record 43-20-2. We should always beat Clempson.
3/FSU - After this year, they'll pay anything for Richt
4/Maryland - I am one of the few that believes the other Fridge is overrated. Joe Hamilton was an outstanding player. Goose was a super intelligent player. I think we can beat them like we did from 97-2000
5/Auburn. - Close series between us and them, but beating them early would be awful sweet and shake up the rankings.

I think if we can get some good QB play and if the defense tightens up, as it should, we can win all of these.

Originally posted by SouthGa:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Man, talk about a good morning bubble buster.
pat.gif

Awbun's gonna be a benchmark for the rest of the season. If TECH shows up for that one it'll be a good year. If Awbun beats us 'like a rented mule' it could be a rough ride. Trying hard not to look past the Mormans but Awbun LOOMS on the horizon.

I say again, in my opinion, Auburn is beatable. They may prove to be SEC champs, who knows, but its early in the season and after their huge game with USC. Don't know if our defense can stop the run, but if it does, Auburn would be very vulnerable. My opinion is very much unqualified (don't ya just love armchair quarterbacks and prognasticators?), but I do predict a good year for Auburn, but 2 to 3 losses for such a one-dimensional team. I just hope that our boys have more confidence than we are showing collectively.

Who do I want to beat the most? Hmmm!

BYU
Auburn
FSU
Clemson
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
NCSU
Maryland
North Carolina
Duke
Virginia