Biggest to OG?

My wife’s cousin has a son who is 6’2”, 235 lbs…and he’s just turned 14. He plays on both the freshman team and varsity; rules limit how many plays he can be in on the varsity so he’s generally only in the varsity games in the 4th quarter…and usually dominates. He plays DE and OT, but usually DE on varsity. Someone PM me how to be sure he’s on the recruiter’s radar.
Get him on the track, work on sprinting, speed, and explosion drills, can't just be big, gotta be big and fast.

Good luck to the young man and watch his diet.

Go look at the Top10 Contracts for Tackles at the NFL level and do the same for OGs, then get back to me.

Many NFL Teams rarely draft Guards, they draft Tackles and those that can't cut it at Tackle get moved to OG.

One 6-1 OG (Shaq Mason) doesn't mean that the general rule is flawed, compare your 6-1 exception to Quentin Nelson that played OG at ND , 6-5 and like 330lbs and considered to be the best OG in the NFL.

To quote Nick Saban, "if you recruit too many exceptions, then you will no chance to be an exceptional Team" (GT Fans might want to remember this one)!
Have you not seen the movie the blind side? Tackles get paid more because they have to watch their QBs backs. The more skilled defensive players are the edge rushers, not the Tackles. The tackles are mainly there to push the line back and plug holes for run.

In the NFL, tackles may be more valuable today but back in the day your guards did all the pulling and center has to snap the ball accurately so they were not usually as large as the tackles, who were usually the biggest, most immobile and often dumbest players on the team.

To address the OP’s original question, confident Shamire Devine was the largest TO offensive guard we ever had.

Guards and tackles are two different body types. If that wasn't required everybody would look like an OT. There would be plenty of college OTs to man all the OL positions in the NFL but they don't.

Try winning with crummy/mediocre G-C-G and get back to me.

Guards and tackles are two different body types. If that wasn't required everybody would look like an OT. There would be plenty of college OTs to man all the OL positions in the NFL but they don't.

Try winning with crummy/mediocre G-C-G and get back to me.
No one said you can win with a crummy C-G-C, I just stated that most coaches will keep a talented DT at DT , rather than move him to OG, a position that has a lesser impact on the Game in Modern FB.

Get him on the track, work on sprinting, speed, and explosion drills, can't just be big, gotta be big and fast.

Good luck to the young man and watch his diet.
Of course. The HS coaches have been watching him since he started in youth football; I’m sure he’s getting good advice. From what I’ve seen, he moves well and is pretty fast. He got a sack on his first play in the varsity game last Friday.

I just stated that most coaches will keep a talented DT at DT , rather than move him to OG, a position that has a lesser impact on the Game in Modern FB.
Incorrect -you stated: " "However, every NFL GM would pick Kent Hill with his length, quickness, Athleticism at OT , over a super talented OG."

I appreciate your suggestion to help the OL , but I have to take a hard pass on that.

A lot of potential people can play OG, very few people have the size, quickness, and Talent to play DT, so when you find a DT with the size of Biggers that has decent quickness, you don't move him to Guard.

Guards and Centers are manned by Guys that don't have the Athleticism to play any other Interior Line Spot on either Off or Def, to summarize --- If playing OL and DL was a Pickup Game, the OGs and the Center would be last Guys picked.

Not if one of them was Shaq Mason.

Incorrect -you stated: " "However, every NFL GM would pick Kent Hill with his length, quickness, Athleticism at OT , over a super talented OG."
That's correct and I stand by that.

Tall, quick, OTs with long Arms, and great footwork will almost always be chosen by an NFL GM in favor of an OG, the OT is much harder to find, and the OG is much easier to find.

When you find certain traits in a hard to find position, you snap up that draft pick when you get the chance.

Not if one of them was Shaq Mason.
No matter how good Shaq Mason is or was at GT, the overwhelming majority of HCs would prefer to have an OT that is equally as well regarded -- that is because the OT makes a much bigger impact in most instances

No matter how good Shaq Mason is or was at GT, the overwhelming majority of HCs would prefer to have an OT that is equally as well regarded -- that is because the OT makes a much bigger impact in most instances
There haven't been that many OTs at Tech that I would take ahead of Shaq.

Back