Bilbo:"if the coaches are patient with me, it will pay off"

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
Seems to be a very mature young man. If he can now bring his QB play up a level we'll have a heck of a QB.
Here's an article from the Augusta Chronicle with some new quotes, especially from Bilbo, "It was like I only had one bullet in my gun and I didn't want to waste it on anything but the deep ball.":

Bilbo wants the job

On a side note, it's amazing how the out of town papers (Savannah, Augusta and especially Macon) have so many more informative Tech articles, while the scum at the AJC couldn't give a horse's hindquarters about the hometown team.

Damarius Bilbo is intelligent, big, strong, fast & motivated... He will be operating behind an outstanding offensive line with a corps of talented receivers... Considering that we have an experienced NFL offensive coordinator guiding him I'm sure we can expect an outstanding year from this fine young man...

Beebad, I can't believe you made a positive post. I agree with you. The kid has more talent than some NFL QB's.

Kid, I think you missed here. If this wasn't intended as tongue in cheek by beebad, he has gone schizophrenic.

Originally posted by BeeBad:
Damarius Bilbo is intelligent, big, strong, fast & motivated... He will be operating behind an outstanding offensive line with a corps of talented receivers... Considering that we have an experienced NFL offensive coordinator guiding him I'm sure we can expect an outstanding year from this fine young man...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I need a drink..
drinking.gif

Part of the interview is very tellin on last year's team I think. Bilbo never had BOBs confidence and it doesn't sound like they ever really connected. If Nix has already gotten Bilbo to believe in him we're way ahead I think. Hopefully that will translate into how he prepares and how he handles the offense.

I've said it before, I'm convinced BOB is a very good young coach and could be a great one. But he wasn't ready at this stage of his career to develop a QB from scratch and tailor an offense to fit. He'll likely learn under the Fridge but it crippled us last year. With Nix' personal experience as a QB he can hopefully make the connection with the kids and teach the position. And by not having the OC duties as well he can concentrate on teaching.

Mods, please push pin ACE's post. Bilbo's quote about the coaches having patience with him is IMO the key issue to our second half of the season success, as well as '04/'05.

Finishing the season on an uptick is critical to recruiting. Last year's "no hook" was a disaster and we should all hope that a "quick hook" this year doesn't lead to even worse results. THWG

Not withstanding the Fresno State game, I thought Bilbo did a pretty good job last year. His TD drive at the end of the 1st half of the Carolina game was a critical spark. I felt he was the only quarterback to bring offensive continuity during the Wake game as well.

He has a cannon for an arm and seems to be very accurate on the deep balls. Unfotunately, he does force them sometimes. But, good receivers can pick them away from DBs (i.e. FSU with Weinke). We all know he runs very well too. Hopefully, the quarterback draw will not be our automatic 1st down play with him this year.

I hope they give him a couple of games at least to play as the sole starter. He has tremendous upside and has shown some flashes of brilliance. I'd hate to see him thrown on the scrap heap on account of a game or two.

Back