Bill Connelly's 2017 GT Preview

You say that like we are lining up a two-deep team of 4 and 5 star players.

Isn't that the point though? The scheme he currently wants to run is run best by a bunch of 4 and 5 stars. Just playing teams straight up.

Whereas, without a bunch of NFL talent you bring pressure and mix things up. Put the onus back on the offense to react to what you are doing on D.

Isn't that the point though? The scheme he currently wants to run is run best by a bunch of 4 and 5 stars. Just playing teams straight up.

Whereas, without a bunch of NFL talent you bring pressure and mix things up. Put the onus back on the offense to react to what you are doing on D.

I get your point, but I think we are better off making teams grind it out. The more times they touch the ball, the more likely they are to make a mistake. Sure we might get more sacks and ints with pressure, but we will give up more homerun TDs as well.

The bend but don't break defense is what I'd pick, from a statistical gamesmanship perspective, if I was running a talent deficit against my opponent. It's no secret that the end of the field is easier to defend than the middle, because it compresses the offense. If you can consistently get your opponent to run plays where it is easiest to defend them, you maximize your utility of that advantage.

All that said, I am awful at football things, so we should probably blitz our brains out.

I get your point, but I think we are better off making teams grind it out. The more times they touch the ball, the more likely they are to make a mistake. Sure we might get more sacks and ints with pressure, but we will give up more homerun TDs as well.

The problem I have with this is that we are routinely giving up the TDs anyway. We let the other team hold the ball away from our offense, and then let them score when they get down to the red zone.

I'm not a coach, but it's infuriating when I see us line up and I think "well, if I'm the QB I'd throw it to that guy. They need 7 yards for a first down and the DB is sitting 12 yards away from him, and is going to backpeddle at the snap." And then boom, that exact thing happens. First down.

The bend but don't break defense is what I'd pick, from a statistical gamesmanship perspective, if I was running a talent deficit against my opponent. It's no secret that the end of the field is easier to defend than the middle, because it compresses the offense. If you can consistently get your opponent to run plays where it is easiest to defend them, you maximize your utility of that advantage.

And we've had some success with it. I think it was 2014, I remember there were a number of games where we allowed gobs of yards, but managed to shut the offense down between the 20s. It didn't hurt of course that we were also scoring at will.

All that said, I am awful at football things, so we should probably blitz our brains out.
This only works if you have sufficient talent in your front 4. You have to rely on them to get consistent pressure by themselves. If they can't get to the QB quick enough, the bending starts turning into breaking when their wideouts have time to get past the secondary and get open. It's a complete failure when an opposing team is able to march down the field and score a TD. It's the kind of öööö we do to other teams with our offense.

A perfect counter to our offense,with the talent we have, is a attacking style of defense with lots of blitzes. If successful, you can get the ball back quicker on offense and use the clock to demoralize them. If we get a big enough lead, the pressure is now on them to get outside their comfort zone and catch up. That's when you move to combination of bend but don't break with a mix of blitzes. If you give up a quick TD, it hurts but at least the ball is back in the hands of our most trusted unit. I want them to get the most snaps they possibly can.

This only works if you have sufficient talent in your front 4. You have to rely on them to get consistent pressure by themselves. If they can't get to the QB quick enough, the bending starts turning into breaking when their wideouts have time to get past the secondary and get open. It's a complete failure when an opposing team is able to march down the field and score a TD. It's the kind of öööö we do to other teams with our offense.

A perfect counter to our offense,with the talent we have, is a attacking style of defense with lots of blitzes. If successful, you can get the ball back quicker on offense and use the clock to demoralize them. If we get a big enough lead, the pressure is now on them to get outside their comfort zone and catch up. That's when you move to combination of bend but don't break with a mix of blitzes. If you give up a quick TD, it hurts but at least the ball is back in the hands of our most trusted unit. I want them to get the most snaps they possibly can.

Sounds like the good old Tenuta defense to me.

Sounds like the good old Tenuta defense to me.

rock.png

But that's all that Roof does. Until we get completely wrecked in one game and PJ jumps down his throat about calling more pressure.

I long for the day he just goes ahead and jumps down his throat the day before the first game.

Back