Bill Curry Espn spot

ramblin57

Varsity Lurker
From the "git go" I always thought the trade out of Curry for Ross was in GT's favor and still do. Those thoughts were before Ross even set foot on campus. BR did a hell of a job at MD, the BB fiasco wrecked the whole sports program and he needed to get away from there.

GEETEELEE

We suck this much.
he BB fiasco wrecked the whole sports program and he needed to get away from there.
According to what I heard at the time, when Len Bias died, the administration launched an investigation into the entire sports program. Ross demanded they declare football was clean; when they refused Ross resigned.

A footnote, Homer Rice caught Ross in an airport on his way to take a position coach job at Detroit (IIRC), Ross was definitely interested and the rest is history.

AlaGold

Dodd-Like
According to what I heard at the time, when Len Bias died, the administration launched an investigation into the entire sports program. Ross demanded they declare football was clean; when they refused Ross resigned.

A footnote, Homer Rice caught Ross in an airport on his way to take a position coach job at Detroit (IIRC), Ross was definitely interested and the rest is history.
ANOTHER feather in the cap of Homer--who I thought brought Tech into the modern era

ronricks

Flats Noob
Never knew Bill Curry was a controversial figure.

The guy was a pro football player and GT legend.
It is totally possible to appreciate what Curry did as a player and coach but also recognize he isn’t infallible and can be a condescending jerk at times.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member

Ross was on his way to Buffalo when Rice caught up to him. Literally steps away from boarding the plane.

That was some fast thinking and fast acting on Rice's part.

BEEFENSE

Helluva Engineer
Broke my heart when he left for Bama. Don't know what the future might been had he stayed at Tech--but--as stated he IS a true Tech man and loves GT. He has a lot of prestige in the football world and does promote the school at every opportunity. I do feel that he regrets his decision to leave for Bama but hindsight doesn't amount to anything. I can't endorse the negativity about hin except he WAS off-base on claiming his recruits won the NC. He might eventually have led Tech back to nat.l prominence in football--but--what do i know, I'm one who always wanted Mark Price back as BB coach---LOL.

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
Broke my heart when he left for Bama. Don't know what the future might been had he stayed at Tech--but--as stated he IS a true Tech man and loves GT. He has a lot of prestige in the football world and does promote the school at every opportunity. I do feel that he regrets his decision to leave for Bama but hindsight doesn't amount to anything. I can't endorse the negativity about hin except he WAS off-base on claiming his recruits won the NC. He might eventually have led Tech back to nat.l prominence in football--but--what do i know, I'm one who always wanted Mark Price back as BB coach---LOL.
After last night's game, your basketball wish might still come true.

ncjacket

Dodd-Like
I don’t remember this at all. CBC left after the ‘86 season, so by ‘90 the only Curry players on that team would have been redshirted their freshman season in ‘86. So this doesn’t even make sense.

I’ve always liked CBC -yeah, after seeking advice from Dodd he left for Bama, some are butthurt over it -I’m not. Bill Curry has been a fine representative of GT and is a good Tech man.
I agree. I don’t remember Curry saying anything like that. The closest I remember was during the Tech-UVA game saying he felt like he had children on both teams. I also remember Dodd saying on national TV that he had told Curry he should leave.

ncjacket

Dodd-Like
Yeah. Bill has a high opinion of himself and of his opinion. Needs to keep his opinions to himself. It's like anything else, most people don't care about your opinion and of those who do, half will agree with you and half will not. So you end of alienating half of the people that originally were neutral in their opinion of you. I appreciate the good he has done for GT and wish he would limit his remaining time on the planet to doing just that and spare us his other opinions on life.

Go Jackets!
You do realize he gets paid to give his opinion? And he is asked for it by many, many people. He is also always positive about GT.

ncjacket

Dodd-Like
I agree that it doesn't make any sense, but it happened.

As Kentucky had a bye, CBC was at the Virginia game to see his son play. CBC had an interview during the game where he said STTE that those were "his recruits" on the field. At the time, my dislike for CBC was renewed because of that.
He said some were. And they were. He didn’t try to make it sound like all of them were.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
He said some were. And they were. He didn’t try to make it sound like all of them were.
From what I remember almost all the OL were his recruit and they were 5 year redshirt SRs and they were pretty dominate because they were grown arse men. We combined that with the younger skill players that Ross brought in and it was a powerful offense.

FWIW, those OL also gave Ross a hard time when he first took over and it took a couple of years for them to buy in.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
If we had hired Price, we would not be on probation today.