Blueshirting

I'm fine with that too. The penalty fir transferring is absurd.
So is every other NCAA rule. The NCAA, by its existence, is a farse. Kids on academic scholarships are allowed to work any job they please. They're allowed to talk to whomever they please before they come to the school. They're allowed to take free shoes from people.

The point of the NCAA is to artificially create the absurd notion of fairness and parity in a completely unfair system.

I like how this article was in an Alabama newspaper and pointing the finger at Tennessee for their questionable signing practices.

No. You can't write a rule around the possibility that schools will break the law for a sport. Go back to no freshmen eligibility and make the scholarships a four year commitment. Then, when dumb thing like grade-fixing and other SEC/FSU-style hijinx take place, you simply take away scholarships.

Football student-athletes are already a three-year commitment, more or less.

Too simple to work. ( sarcasm intended if not obvious )

I approve of all of it, for basketball as well.

And if anyone complains about impeding their right to go pro, let people bypass college entirely if they can get an NFL or NBA team to sign them.

In hindsight, the move to allow true freshmen to play was a huge mistake if you care about what the NCAA claims to care about.

Yep. Just like I'd be fine with other schools that have a super talented guy on the bench whos isn't gettin the reps transferring here.

I think you'd actually see more parity if this were allowed.

Good point.

Why should a kid be penalized for a decision for four years?

All those Bama signees, clearly destined for years on the bench but unable to get beyond their childhood dream of playing for Bama, can come to their senses when they see the writing on the wall with a little age and wisdom.

It is stupid how much talent is sitting on the benches at the football factories, recruited mainly to keep them away from the competition rather than to play.

Let everyone in good academic standing transfer freely. It is another incentive to make sure you stay in good standing.

Good point.

Why should a kid be penalized for a decision for four years?

All those Bama signees, clearly destined for years on the bench but unable to get beyond their childhood dream of playing for Bama, can come to their senses when they see the writing on the wall with a little age and wisdom.

It is stupid how much talent is sitting on the benches at the football factories, recruited mainly to keep them away from the competition rather than to play.

Let everyone in good academic standing transfer freely. It is another incentive to make sure you stay in good standing.

LoneStar, there is not one player recruited to keep him away from another school. You are ööööing stupid if you think so.

Saban recruits players to play and keep his check rolling in.

Maybe CPJ recruited Morgan Bailey to keep him away from Clemson, but that's not what he told me.

LoneStar, there is not one player recruited to keep him away from another school. You are ööööing stupid if you think so.

Saban recruits players to play and keep his check rolling in.

Maybe CPJ recruited Morgan Bailey to keep him away from Clemson, but that's not what he told me.

Not sure if this is serious or not.

Every football factory recruits many more players that could possibly get playing time, even some that don't end up getting scholarships because someone better came along after they accepted the offer.

If the talent is sitting on your bench ( or worse, waiting in hopes of an opening next season for a scholarship ) instead of competing against you then it is clearly an advantage. Distribute that unused talent across your competition and the advantages are not so great even if you got the top talent.

Coaches ( all, or at least most ) are also clearly concerned with where players transfer as well. If they can't use them then they don't want to see them in direct competition.

Let players transfer freely where they want to be and the advantages of the top recruiting programs will be lessened.

Not sure if lonestar is serious or not.

Talent sitting on your bench is an advantage because it pushes the rest of your team, and because you can't really tell who is good enough to play until you have everyone compete with each other. It also provides depth in case of injuries or poor performance.

Do you really believe that if a coach recruits a QB when they already have another QB on the roster, that they are doing that solely to keep that player away from other teams? Did Richt sign both Mettenberger and Murray in the same year just to make sure one of them wouldn't go somewhere else?

I don't think any coach recruits players specifically to keep them away from other schools - they recruit them because they think they have a shot to help their team win football games.

Back