BOB's value to GT football

kingbee

Varsity Lurker
BOB\'s value to GT football

I think that way too many people on this board underestimate BOB's value to the GT football program. First of all, there was no decline in our offensive production in 2001, despite the fact that Godsey was not 100%. (I'm sure O'Brien had nothing to do with this, right?) As for this season, many factors could explain the problems we had with our offense. One, I believe, is the fact that CG claimed that he kept BOB to run the offense that had been so successful at Tech, and then did not allow him to do so. I saw very little this year that resembled our offense from 2001. Granted, some of that was due to injuries, but more I believe, was due to CG's conservative offensive philosophy.

I hope I'm wrong, but I do believe our offense can and will get worse in 2003, especially if we are starting a freshman QB. As I said before to all of you who are glad to see BOB leave, be careful what you wish for. He certainly is good enough for Friedgen to come after him, and I expect to see him as OC at Maryland before too long.

Re: BOB\'s value to GT football

Yes I agree. I'm not a big BOB fan, but BOB was not in charge of the offence in 2002. CG was. In the uva game, TECH scores 23 points in the first half. In the second half, no points. It was like CG was calling the plays so not to lose. And the duke game looked to be the same way. 17 points in the first half. No points in the second half. But the weather did not help any. IF CG dose the same thing in 2003, it will be a long year. Its been along time since TECH was a run right, run left, run up the middle team. Ball control dose not always win games(f$u). And being conservative is not always the way to go.

My next concern is that CG sees TECH as just another job. It's like he has no LOVE for TECH. He seems not to care about TECH or TECH's history. I HATE THE REDNECK NATION, but at lest they got someone who cares about their history. And wants to become part of it. Can CG say the same thing? I don't thank so. I hope I'm wrong.

THWG

soapbox.gif

Explain to me where you get any of this? Why do you think Chan doesn't care about Tech? Ever hear him say anything to support what you are posting? That part of your post is total garbage.

As far as play calling etc., you really need to go back and check out the play by play and field position of the UVA game. This was hashed out during the season, but our choice of plays showed little difference between the first and second half except for field position. I agree in the Duke game that he just decided to sit on the lead, but he admitted as much after the game. He just didn't believe Duke could score on our defense as long as our offense didn't do anything stupid.

I have no problem with BOB. He's a good young coach but may have been thrust into the OC position before he was quite ready. I'm sure he will get another shot someday. BTW it looks like he may be LB coach at MD.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
I have no problem with BOB. He's a good young coach but may have been thrust into the OC position before he was quite ready. I'm sure he will get another shot someday. BTW it looks like he may be LB coach at MD.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ncjacket,
A question for you if you don't mind.

Regarding your above statement about BOB not being quite ready for the OC job....would it be fair to say the same thing about Chan?

For example...."He (Chan) may have been thrust into the head coaching position before he was quite ready".

Couldn't a fair minded person ask this same question about Chan? I think so....and I also think a follow-up question would be quite pertinent:

Will he (Chan) ever be ready?

The foreseeable future of TECH football rests on this question.

My next concern is that CG sees TECH as just another job. It's like he has no LOVE for TECH. He seems not to care about TECH or TECH's history.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Absolute Bullsh__!

All you had to do was go to the Edge Center last Wednesday morning as the signings came in and listen to the man. There is no doubt in my mind that CG cares more than you about Georgia Tech football.

beeware, please just cool it. Note that the topic of this thread is: : "BOB's value to GT football".
Really, brother Tech fan, there is no need to spue venom here. Start your own thread for this.
You really denigrate your abilities to constantly harp, harp, harp......
You are smart, insightful, intelligent, humorous, so do not use every opportunity to constantly play the ANTi-GAILEY GAME. Come on, that is beneath your abilities.

BW you ask questions and want an answer but you never answer the questions put to you. Are you like the cat fish that I hear so much about? All mouth no brains?

BeeWare, on paper, Gailey has been the most qualified of all the coaches we have hired at GT. Even Bobby Dodd did not have the credentials of Gailey.

Does that make Gailey a great college coach? No, only time will tell. However, there is a vast difference from the credentials of O'Brien for his job and Gailey for his job.

Gailey wins hands down in the credential department.

wink.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
...on paper, Gailey has been the most qualified of all the coaches we have hired at GT. Even Bobby Dodd did not have the credentials of Gailey.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ahso,
Thanks for the laugh.

Your quote above is kind of like saying:

"On paper, the Titanic was unsinkable".

Originally posted by beeware:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ahsoisee:
...on paper, Gailey has been the most qualified of all the coaches we have hired at GT. Even Bobby Dodd did not have the credentials of Gailey.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ahso,
Thanks for the laugh.

Your quote above is kind of like saying:

"On paper, the Titanic was unsinkable".
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">It isn't the least bit like that. Ahso is stating a fact. That the Titanic was unsinkable was a hope, a remark about the future.

It is clear that you hope that Gailey will sink, but you're just tiresomely speculating.

belly,

A little exercise for you and ahso:

Read THE resume...then watch the ugag game (51-7).

Rinse, lather, and repeat...and repeat...and repeat...

It will eventually become clear to you.

Originally posted by 2 Big Techsticles:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif"> My next concern is that CG sees TECH as just another job. It's like he has no LOVE for TECH. He seems not to care about TECH or TECH's history.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Absolute Bullsh__!

All you had to do was go to the Edge Center last Wednesday morning as the signings came in and listen to the man. There is no doubt in my mind that CG cares more than you about Georgia Tech football.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">2Big, Can't tell you how glad I was to see you and others there. Am with you.

That was indeed impressive. We can talk about words spoken that day from Coach Gailey till we're blue in the face, but you could feel that man's heart with HOW he spoke to us with those words.

Was really glad you were able to make it. For next year I hope that all those having a remote thought of attending will just make it some how.

If only AFR, Gregg, Others, and You would have asked better questions.
wink.gif
Seriously, have been to those for years now. Never have I been in a setting with coaches and fans being so attentive to one another for such a long period of time. For all fans at the Edge it was a real treasure of an experience I'm sure.

Go Jackets!

I don't quite understand. beeware, you are so full of it. How can you allow ONE football game to color your opinion of a coach? This place is like a broken record. Chan this...Chan that. I think some of you are just disolutioned and think that by coming on this board and playing coach that you can vindicate yourself for being a no-name everyday joe. Get off the man's back for once! One or two games DOES NOT make for a disapointing year all around. He did not squander anything last year. Why don't you direct your attention to Florida State. They lost 4 games. First time in over a decade. Bowden has been called a "master" coach and so forth, and even he had a hiccup. Now lets look at somebody who was having to adjust to the college game where unlike the pros the homestate rivalry really is the benchmark of the year. Some of you sound like pathetic dogs whining to get inside on a cold night. SUPPORT is what is needed. FAITH is what is needed. Some of you just have a lot of Hot Gas to blow and nothing much else to offer. IF you are a FAN, then be one. Rome fell because it got split in half. Surely they spilt over something a little more serious than personal feelings over a coach. In the end, it is JUST football. It is something to be enjoyed. So enjoy it already!

Interesting, beeware. GT, purportedly your team, gets beat, and you go on and on and on about it. Anything to try to win an argument (by the way, your logic sucks) even if-or is it especially if-it's really all about your ego and how "right" you are about a coach! Who cares how many crappy things we say about Tech, as long as we get to bash Gailey!

You got your priorites working doggie-style, my man.

Last night I did something I’m not proud of. I wrote that I did not thank CG cared about TECH. I was wrong. I did something I tell my players not to do. I get mad and stopped thanking. I had no right to say that. I’m not CG and I can not say what he thanks. So to those I have offended I say “I’m Sorry.”
pat.gif

Hey Wrekfan1, we must be neighbors!

Go Jackets!

LOL.. Quit arguing with Beeware... he is just a Georgia fan who has only had the same comment for a year now..

Beeware is probably related to Ray Goff or something, and my guess is that, years ago, Chan probably dented his mobile home or spilled something on his red shag carpet...

Originally posted by wrekfan1:
Yes I agree. I'm not a big BOB fan, but BOB was not in charge of the offence in 2002. CG was. In the uva game, TECH scores 23 points in the first half. In the second half, no points.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">We had the same sorts of performances with both
O'Leary and Friedgen on the sidelines. The 2000
UGA game is a good example. Even the Fridge had
a habit of taking his foot off the gas pedal in
games like that.

Its not just an issue with our current staff.

beeware, is that hole you're in about CG not deep enough? You gotta keep digging?

If he turns out not to be a good coach, we'll hire someone else. If he turns out to be good, everybody but you and one or two others will be happy. None of us StinGTalkers is in charge of that, so why not relax a little. We all know where you stand.

Back