Both UGA and GT are focused...

Axe

Flats Noob
...on the task at hand right now.

The Jacket players are working to make the key 3rd down run, catch or pass break-up. Tenuta, O'Brien, and Gailey are busy studying game film as well. Working to put together the perfect attack plan.

The Dawgs are busy too:

"Some things could happen between now and the Tech game to get everybody excited,'' he said. "There are a lot of scenarios that could put us in the game if we win. We know a lot of things have to happen, but we also know those things have happened before.''
   All four teams ahead of Georgia have tough tests this week. No. 1 Miami plays No. 17 Pittsburgh Thursday night. No. 2 Ohio State plays rival No. 12 Michigan on Saturday. No. 3 Washington State plays rival Washington and No. 4 Oklahoma plays No. 24 Texas Tech.
   "We'll be glued to the TV Thursday night,'' Richt said.

I hope Richt and company enjoy Miami vs. Pitt. I heard Billy Bennett is throwing a big time get together for OSU/UM game. I'm sure our boys will enjoy watching clips of UGA/Clemson, Vandy, UF, etc.

Do you think they're gonna overlook us? If they do, they'll be making a big mistake.

No way that Ugag is focused on TECH....especially their fans.

If you read the dawgvent, you will see things like "Tech is like Ole Miss without an offense" or "Kentucky would run Tech off the field." You will also see almost all conversation is about the SEC championship or the National Championship....TECH is definitely an afterthought to them.

Last year Ugag was focused on Tech, because Tech had defeated them three years in a row. But even then, Ugag scored exactly ONE offensive TD and TECH had the ball in the 4th quarter ready to drive to win the game when Godsey threw a very Suggs-like pass that was intercepted and ran back for a TD which was immediately followed by Burns fumble which led to a field goal.

Ugag is infinitely beatable.....IF our offense is allowed to play the game they have been capable of playing all year without interference.

Hey Beeware, you ready to drop your shtick for a couple weeks and get squarely behind YOUR team? You've got an entire offseason coming up to rip the program. Help this place unite over the next two weeks. We need all the positive energy we can get.

An announcement by Beeware that he is dropping all program bashing for 2 weeks would do a lot to bring us together.

Beeware should have one agenda right now, preparing to destroy the Dawgs.

Bug,

I believe that football teams are usually in 1 of 3 emotional states for a ball game.

1. Snooze mode, you know you're going to win and you want to look good for your girlfriend. You'd like to play well but you're not going to lose any sleep over it because you could roll out of bad after a night at the Cheetah and still win on Saturday.

2. Sometimes you prepare to play a team that you know you can't beat if you turn it over 4 times, but if you get excited before the game and play hard you will beat them. You know the team that you are playing has some respect around the country so when you beat them it's really going to make you look good. You're pretty excited about this game. You can't wait to show the nation how good you really are.

3. This game is the only thing that matters. You think about it at night, at practice and during class. Every rep in practice is treated like a 4th quarter play, Every play is treasured by every player on the field. The up men on kickoff returns block like their life depended on it.

I believe we are in mode #3 and the Dawgs are in #2. Kind of like the Clemson game in 2000.

Jackets have weathered the season well IMO. They know what it's like to fight through adversity.

Two weeks of thinking about nothing but WINNING in Athens by our fans, coaches, and players make me believe we'll play with great heart and desire. We'll be focused!

We have nothing to think about other than what to do to WIN!

Go Jackets! WIN! WIN! WIN!

Originally posted by Axe:

3. This game is the only thing that matters. You think about it at night, at practice and during class. Every rep in practice is treated like a 4th quarter play, Every play is treasured by every player on the field. The up men on kickoff returns block like their life depended on it.

I believe we are in mode #3 and the Dawgs are in #2. Kind of like the Clemson game in 2000.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I'll buy it!! That's exactly my feelings on our Jackets!

Here's a quote from Res Ipsa Dawg on the Dawgrun. He doesn't think too highly of us. I think that most Dawgs think this game is in the bag. I hope they feel that way.

A Dawg's View of Tech

In another part of that board (or maybe it was over here on Stingtalk), I remember Axe saying something to the effect of "if we played in an 85K stadium, you guys would respect our defense more"...I think there's some truth to that, even though it's pretty funny.

Bug,

I really think Stadium size has a lot to do with how teams are viewed. I brought up UT and asked why they would be sure to beat us. I know we are limited at the QB position but UT brought a true frosh into Athens that had never taken a snap. He basically ran around and handed the ball off. What makes UT clearly superior to GT? I'll tell you 109,000 seats.

The same goes for our league, we don't have a dominate team but if you put UVA in UT orange and put NCSU in Auburn uniforms. Then all of the sudden the ACC is beating up on each other. Same goes for Wake Forest this year. Send Ole Miss, USC, or Kentucky up to Winston-Salem and somebody is coming home bloodied up.

Send Ole Miss, USC, or Kentucky up to Winston-Salem and somebody is coming home bloodied up.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Send the Dawgs or Florida up there and they are too. They may win, but it won't be easy. Ask FSU.

Bug,

I really think Stadium size has a lot to do with how teams are viewed. I brought up UT and asked why they would be sure to beat us. I know we are limited at the QB position but UT brought a true frosh into Athens that had never taken a snap. He basically ran around and handed the ball off. What makes UT clearly superior to GT? I'll tell you 109,000 seats.

The same goes for our league, we don't have a dominate team but if you put UVA in UT orange and put NCSU in Auburn uniforms. Then all of the sudden the ACC is beating up on each other. Same goes for Wake Forest this year. Send Ole Miss, USC, or Kentucky up to Winston-Salem and somebody is coming home bloodied up.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree with you. That's one big reason why we don't get much respect. We're in a small stadium. Conversely, Clemson gets more respect than they deserve due to their larger stadium.

Can you imagine what Maryland would do to some big stadium teams? Good lord.

No matter what their fans think, I'm sure the mutt coaches & players will be prepared - there's no way they're overlooking us. If they thought they were a dominant team that would (not could) beat anyone on any given night, then they would've stumbled somewhere else along the way.

OTOH, I feel like we have a shot (I like Axes assessment of the 3 emotional states). We saw that it took UGAg a 4th & 15 desperation play (with some luck by virtue of the defender stumbling) to beat Auburn at the end of the game. Our team is very similar to Auburn's in many ways:

1) #1 running back as good as anyone in the country injured for the rest of the season.

2) Strong D built around great linebackers and solid defensive backfield

3) Good offensive lines heading up an effective ground game (no matter who's carrying the ball)

4) Ineffective QB play with the coaches in the stands frequently calling for the backup - the War Tigers got their wish.

5) Both teams have similar records. Both lost games against lesser opponents (Wake & Arkansas) and lost games against FLA rivals that they should've won (F$U & UF).

Axe

I agree with that first post

In fact, as mentioned on the "other board", this game (or I should say, leading into this game), reminds me an aweful lot of the week leading to the NCSU game.....

The Dawg faithful are concerning themselves over the SEC championship game, possible rankings, maybe Tempe, what Miami is doing, what OSU is doing - their schedules etc etc etc....Much like NCSU was doing leading to their game - ie, assuming a win over Tech

Meanwhile the Tech faithful is discussing strategy, how the game migh play out etc...

Now, I'm NOT one of those people who assume that the team is reflected by a handful of fans on a message board by any means (maybe sometimes that happens) ---

But I do find the parallel interesting

Back