Breaking Down the Hardest 2024 Schedules According to ESPN's FPI

GTFLETCH

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Nine out of the top 10 come from the SEC with Georgia Tech the lone ACC representative.

9. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (54)​

Home: Georgia State (89), VMI (FCS), Duke (52), Miami (20), NC State (28)

Away: Syracuse (70), Louisville (21), North Carolina (42), Virginia Tech (50), Georgia (1)

Neutral: Florida State (11), Notre Dame (7)

The Yellow Jackets will try to build on last season and take the next step back to relevancy in the ACC. Coach Brent Key has done a good job upgrading the talent on the Flats and always seems to have his team ready to play. QB Haynes King returns for year two in Buster Faulkner’s offense after throwing and rushing for a combined 37 TDs.

Based on FPI here is what I came up with.

L - FSU
W - GSU
W - Cuse
W - VMI
L - Louisville
Toss up - Duke
Toss Up - UNC
L - Notre Dame
Toss Up - VT
L- Miami
L- NC St
L- UGA

Here is what I think will happen

W - FSU
W - GSU
W - Cuse
W - VMI
L - Louisville
W- - Duke
W- - UNC
L - Notre Dame
L-- VT
L- Miami
L- NC St
L- UGA

Win the Bowl game to go 7-6

Nine out of the top 10 come from the SEC with Georgia Tech the lone ACC representative.

9. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (54)​

Home: Georgia State (89), VMI (FCS), Duke (52), Miami (20), NC State (28)

Away: Syracuse (70), Louisville (21), North Carolina (42), Virginia Tech (50), Georgia (1)

Neutral: Florida State (11), Notre Dame (7)

The Yellow Jackets will try to build on last season and take the next step back to relevancy in the ACC. Coach Brent Key has done a good job upgrading the talent on the Flats and always seems to have his team ready to play. QB Haynes King returns for year two in Buster Faulkner’s offense after throwing and rushing for a combined 37 TDs.

Others have GT as #6 hardest schedule- counting ND, FSU, Louisville, NCSU, Miami and the Mutts as top 25 opponents this year.

L - FSU
W - GSU
W - Cuse
W - VMI
L - Louisville
Toss up - Duke
Toss Up - UNC
L - Notre Dame
Toss Up - VT
L- Miami
L- NC St
W- UGA

W - FSU
W - GSU
W - Cuse
W - VMI
L - Louisville
W- - Duke
W- - UNC
L - Notre Dame
L-- VT
L- Miami
L- NC St
W- UGA

Fixed the Typo.

L - FSU
W - GSU
W - Cuse
W - VMI
L - Louisville
Toss up - Duke
Toss Up - UNC
L - Notre Dame
Toss Up - VT
L- Miami
L- NC St
L- UGA

W - FSU
W - GSU
W - Cuse
W - VMI
L - Louisville
W- - Duke
W- - UNC
L - Notre Dame
L-- VT
L- Miami
L- NC St
L- UGA

I realize it’s a tough stretch, but ending the regular season with 5 straight losses would be brutal, and I choose to believe it won’t be the case.

I feel good about playing FSU first game as I expect them to be much better later in the season. Will not be at all surprised if we win that game. Not sure what to think of ND yet.

It also just occurred to me that we have one of the 10 hardest schedules, and we don't even play Clemson this year.

But yeah, I think it's more likely that we lose a game earlier in the season (like Syracuse), but then get 2 or 3 wins in the last 5. Of course, that likelihood is 2nd to an undefeated season.

L - FSU
W - GSU
W - Cuse
W - VMI
L - Louisville
Toss up - Duke
Toss Up - UNC
L - Notre Dame
Toss Up - VT
L- Miami
L- NC St
L- UGA

W - FSU
W - GSU
W - Cuse
W - VMI
L - Louisville
W- - Duke
W- - UNC
L - Notre Dame
L-- VT
L- Miami
L- NC St
L- UGA

We’re winning 3/5 of the final 5 L’s you’ve listed and we’re not losing in any European towns, imitation or real.

IMO, The only games we have a lower than 50/50 chance of winning are ND and UGA only because they are later in the season. I don’t see VT, Miami or NCSU as all that formidable opponents on the back end. I would expect maybe one more trip up in first 7 games, so win 5 of 7, then 2 to 3 of last 5 games. I think we now have enough depth all around to fill in mid to late season injuries that have derailed us in the past. As many have noted, I feel that the experience on O will help carry us thru the first half of the season with feeling that the D begins playing better on the back half to keep us in some tough games.

If our offense takes a step forward we will be a very tough out. It wouldn’t surprise me to see 9+ wins. I’m not saying I will be majorly disappointed with less than that, just that we have an opportunity to be really good.

L - FSU
W - GSU
W - Cuse
W - VMI
L - Louisville
Toss up - Duke
Toss Up - UNC
L - Notre Dame
Toss Up - VT
L- Miami
L- NC St
L- UGA

W - FSU
W - GSU
W - Cuse
W - VMI
L - Louisville
W- - Duke
W- - UNC
L - Notre Dame
L-- VT
L- Miami
L- NC St
L- UGA

We ain't losing 5 straight games to end the season. How much money do you want to lose trying to prove me wrong?

Last edited:

L - FSU
W - GSU
W - Cuse
W - VMI
L - Louisville
Toss up - Duke
Toss Up - UNC
L - Notre Dame
Toss Up - VT
L- Miami
L- NC St
L- UGA

W - FSU
W - GSU
W - Cuse
W - VMI
L - Louisville
W- - Duke
W- - UNC
L - Notre Dame
L-- VT
L- Miami
L- NC St
L- UGA

W-FSU
W-GSU
W-Cuse
W-VMI
L- Louisville
W-Duke
W-UNC
W-Notre Dame
L-VT
W-Miami
W-NC State
W-UGA

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! THWG and Frick ND!

IMO, The only games we have a lower than 50/50 chance of winning are ND and UGA only because they are later in the season. I don’t see VT, Miami or NCSU as all that formidable opponents on the back end. I would expect maybe one more trip up in first 7 games, so win 5 of 7, then 2 to 3 of last 5 games. I think we now have enough depth all around to fill in mid to late season injuries that have derailed us in the past. As many have noted, I feel that the experience on O will help carry us thru the first half of the season with feeling that the D begins playing better on the back half to keep us in some tough games.
I think VT will be better - and I think Pry is a good coach. It's taken him some time to figure things out there. Not sure Fuente left him a whole helluva lot, either.
Miami is the biggest question mark in the league year in and year out. Ordinarily, the biggest question is how overrated are they? They've got talent. But really, when has their talent ever been the question. It's usually the talent wearing a headset that's been their problem. Like last year.
Doeren's a pretty good coach too at N.C. State. They won't be an easy out.
Don't know what to think of Syracuse. Brand new head coach but he's mined the portal hard. Besides, the images of our last visit up there are still in my mind, even though we have had a serious upgrade in talent wearing the headset since. Then again, that too was a very low bar to clear. But we have had improvement in that area. That Syracuse team was bad. And they kicked our ass. So maybe we got one coming for them. Then again, they were not very good last year, and that was a damn dogfight until the last few minutes.

Locks for Ws:
Ga State
VMI
Duke (thank God Elko left)
UNC (ya think Key might want this one? Bad? Never mind the fan base wanting it. Bad.)

Probables to 50-50s:
Syracuse
Louisville
N.C. State
VT

Shaky:
Miami
FSU (just because they're breaking in a new QB. But I also think Norvell is a pretty good coach. He got that ship turned around pretty quick from the disaster that was Willie Taggart)

Gonna need help:
Notre Dame

Screw them:
Georgia.

Four locks, plus a couple of the 50-50s/probables, pull out a shaky one and then CBK gets to write his name on the visitors locker room ceiling next to PJ's - 8-4.

We will be picked to lose FSU, Miami, ND, UNC and UGAy.

We can’t have a Chan year when we lose to teams that aren’t as good as us. And I don’t think we will. Coach Key (I wasn’t a fan of the hire) will show why I was wrong and he was the right hire. Year 2 is a big deal and he’s got the brains and work ethic.

We will be significantly better than expected. We beat FSU. UNC will all go to the locker room and hug it out after we trounce them.

Miami, ND and Uga are the only games we may lose, and we will win at least one. My guess is that win is against the mutts. 10-2 record is the worst we’ll do. That’s my unbiased assessment.

With 17 conference schools you can divide the sixteen possible opponents into four quadrants. I am using Lindy’s rankings to make these comparisons.
We play 3 Q1, 3 Q2, 1 Q2 and 1Q1 in conference play. Only Duke matches this. Add in our non-conference Notre Dame and Georgia games and the schedule this year is really difficult. I think we can be successful, but out of 17 conference teams we play the toughest schedule.

The easiest conference schedule belongs to SMU as they play 1 Q1, 1 Q2, and 3 each in Q3 and Q4. NC State is next easiest, 1-2-2-3. Va Tech, 2-1-3-2, and UNC 2-1-2-3, also play easy conference schedules. At the top Clemson and Miami have a slightly easier conference slate than FSU.

Back