BYU fan's perspective

SouthGa

Varsity Lurker
Re: BYU fan\'s perspective

Sorry DH but I have to agree with a UGA poster who quoted,"I've seen better teams at recess."

I agree the future looks pretty good and who knows, if this team does not become disheartend by early disappointments they could be a force to reckon with towards the end of the season.

South Georgia Jacket

Insightful post, DeanH. I also think that a key was the way your QB read the blitzes from the 2nd quarter on and found the hot receiver over and over again. I was more impressed with the Cougs than most want to admit. I think y'all will have a good year.

You were right on the mark about our receivers. I don't think your guys could cover them 1 on 1 but Reggie's 2 or 3 deep balls were overthrown. Funny we didn't see those deep throws in the 2H but you probably went to a 2 deep zone or similar to keep from getting beat.

Gailey needs to roll out Reggie almost every pass at this point, not drop him back in the pocket. Our OL is good, but were disappointed that they did not do more. We need to see Woods, someone who is more of a scatback and can hit the holes quicker and make people miss in the secondary. I'm not knocking PJ, he's just a straight ahead kind of runner.

BYU is a good team that will prob be 8-4 if that QB stays healthy.He did a GREAT job taking the licks and delivering.Penalties were the only reason we were in the game.

I think DeanH makes some valid points but before we gush too much over his kind words there are some things I think need to be remembered:

[1] BYU plays Southern Cal next week and takes on their former OC in Norm Chow. They know what Chow will bring to the grass. I think they knew with Ball they could lay off in their backfield and they did. Yes Ball had receivers open all night and couldn't see them. Part of good defense is playing tall to obscure the qb's view and BYU did that pretty well. Why play bump and run when the offense you are facing isn't even effective in getting first downs against essentially a prevent deep set formation?

[2] Other than 41 yards on 2 plays BYU stuffed TECH's running game completely. BYU's linebackers are active and fast. They hit gaps really well and there just were no real holes created. Their front six were a lot better this time. last year they got pushed around pretty good. This time they took TECH's O-Line off their feet on running plays and that was what they hoped to do.

TECH has a long way to go. Fortunately they play a pretty venilla smash mouth team in Auburn and for all it's greatness and rankings, is going to play a hard nose game with TECH. TECH can win that type of game if it wants to. Do they want to?

BYU fan\'s perspective

My first take: Georgia Tech fans you should have high expectations for the future. You have a young TALENTED team everywhere. I know the loss hurts but there are so many positives about the team. From a BYU fan perspective let me tell you what I saw:

1. Reggie Ball is exceptional! Why they tried to let that guy stay in the pocket and pass I will never know. Rolling out of the pocket and either running or throwing is a better option than trying to hang a 5’11” in there. Reggie had many runs when he wanted them once he was out of the pocket. He has a great arm and just was a little jittery with wanting to make big plays. Having been at the game he had open guys all night and could have killed us with a few more games under his belt. He seriously is a talent!

2. That O-line is top-notch. They were blowing our D-line back almost every play in the first half. I don’t know frankly why they didn’t challenge BYU to stop the run every time until BYU really did stop it. It appeared to me they would pick up 5 to 7 yards on first down with Daniels and then all of a sudden go to a pass or some swing out sweep run. Keep the running game a power run and use the talented beefy o-line you all have. Then I might have play-action passed once BYU was pounded into an 8 man front rolling Ball out to the left or right away from the box.

3. One of my keys to you guys winning (reference the post "a great match up") was turnovers. This truly is where you beat yourselves. But the positive here is that if you remove these you have a fluid exciting team and Gaily appears to be the kind of coach to fix these things.

4. Smith is an all-world receiver. Having been at the game I was able to look at things that ESPN probably couldn’t show you. Smith was WIDE ASS OPEN so many times it hurt to watch! I was cringing thinking “Oh bloody hell! If Ball could only see that we would be killed!” Ball through past him and over him a few times which could have gone for touchdowns twice.

Execution is the biggest bugaboo that you guys had (as well as BYU at times). The talent is there. The coaching and everything else. It might be a long few games stretch but I have to say that there is a bright future ahead for you as Tech fans.

Congrats on the victory and good luck this year.

Your QB is a gutsy guy. Stood brave in the pocket and picked us apart. He took some hard hits and it seemed everytime we paid. Reminded me of former GT QB George Godsey.

Thanks very much for your complimentary statements, Dean. I agree in most every way with what you had to say.

Most of us old codgers forget how it would be to have jumped out of H.S. football and onto a major college campus with only a few weeks of practice with a team new to us, such as Ball did.

Your words are appreciated. Thanks much. Wishing the best for your team this year..

Back