BYU ran a fake punt on 4th and 19 from their own 5

That's what I'd do in Madden. Crazy thing is it didn't cost them anything. Boise St. committed a personal foul, their offense stalled and they missed a FG. Apparently, Army tried to do it on 4th and 44 last week. It also didn't cost them. LaFayette threw in interception on the next play. Never Punt indeed.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17847042

How can any coach think that's a risk worth taking.
I'm sure it was a "If they line up this way, run the fake, if not, punt it" scenario. You gotta admit 4th and 19 from your own 5, the defense most likely either selling out to block it, or trying to set up a good return for good field position. Probably not a thought crossed their mind to watch for the fake. Fake punts that work generally net a big gain also, so the 19 yards probably wouldn't be hard to pick up if it works.

Edit: Just watched the video. FWIW, that was a dumb ass fake punt call. If I call a fake punt from the 5, it's not gonna be a run because they're likely bringing the house to block it. It would definitely be a pass play.

Edit: Just watched the video. FWIW, that was a dumb ass fake punt call. If I call a fake punt from the 5, it's not gonna be a run because they're likely bringing the house to block it. It would definitely be a pass play.

Exactly. It's not a good call either way, but to run it there is bonkers.

That was either brilliant or super crazy.

Thing is, their D then held BSU to no score during the next series.

8oi5qch.jpg

well, he was 14-0 last year, he's 6-1 this year so far. Must be doing something right.

well, he was 14-0 last year, he's 6-1 this year so far. Must be doing something right.
In all seriousness, I would totally support the onside kicking thing, especially with an offensive team like ours. An extra possession matters a LOT more than field position, IMO. And I would probably punt some, but I'd give the punter a fake option on every play and have him do delayed rugby punts to try to hit opposing players and not give the opposing punt returner a clean catch. Willingly giving the ball to your opposition is dumb, and the only reason people do it is because taking risks like that hurts your job security, even if they are smart risks.

Part of the reason he never punts is the inconsistency of HS punters, so whatever formula he's using factors in the likelihood of not netting a ton of yards on a punt. I bet he'd punt more often with a decent college punter.

I like your idea of the rugby style punts with an option for a fake every time. There's got to be some reasoning why coaches don't do this more often because it makes perfect sense on paper. It's frustrating how often I see punts in college/NFL where the punter could have walked for a 1st down if he had looked up.

As for the BYU play, I admire the call. It was executed atrociously, but I don't mind taking the risk when the defense won't be expecting it if you have a play you're confident can be executed. I've always thought a brilliant fake punt call would be to take the delay of game on a 4th and 4 from the opponents 40 under the guise of getting a few extra yards of room for your punter to pin them deep. Then run the fake on 4th and 9.

The "own 5" part is not as crazy as the "19 yard" part. Even when fakes work, there's seldom 19 yards gained from LOS by the punter.

I like your idea of the rugby style punts with an option for a fake every time. There's got to be some reasoning why coaches don't do this more often because it makes perfect sense on paper. It's frustrating how often I see punts in college/NFL where the punter could have walked for a 1st down if he had looked up.

We used to do this all the time a couple years ago. It tended to work well (I only recall that one disaster in the Music City Bowl). Maybe we just don't have as much faith in the punter anymore to make the right decision?

Last edited:
I like the call, but the play choice bad and the execution was worse.

Never punt.

Forget #NeverTrump or #NeverHillary...sounds like a lot of us are on team #NeverPunt

Sometimes I think punters or whoever makes the call to fake the punt get confused by the original line of scrimmage sticks and the first down sticks.

Back