Can Gailey and BOB get along?

Wrecked

Varsity Lurker
I really don't understand his thinking on our offense. First he muzzles our coaches from talking to the press. When he takes the job he retains BOB and says our offense is so successful he sees no reason to change anything. He also says he will not interfere with the playcalling of his coordinator because he did not like that as a coach. Now we understand he was consistently overriding BOB yesterday which would make me think he has been doing it all year. To me the blowup at the Wake game where BOB tried to return Bilbo to the field was the last straw for Gailey. I think if BOB had it his way, Bilbo would be starting. The rift between these two is affecting our offensive performance and I really don't see BOB on the staff next year. Georgia will absolutely kill us if we perform the way we did yesterday.

agree with the predicted ugag result. If our offense parades that BYU, Wake, and Duke gameplan that we lose by 14+.

I am concerned if B'OB wants to play Bilbo and CG does not. I may be complaining about the wrong person.

I still believe the play calling is B'OB. I just see his style written all over this. I do hope B'OB gets a good opportunity elsewhere next year, so we will know who to blame.

It would seem normal for a head coach to cover for his coordinator. If he perceives fans are critical of coordinator, a secure hc should take the blame. I have a feeling he is covering for BOB. Whoever is to blame, the O s--ks!!! Plus, there does not seem to be any answers to make it better. The same thing just goes on week to week. That is a problem.

Law-bee, I agree on that particular point, however I am not so sure there is not more to the situation. If there is more, it still does not make Gailey right for refusing to play Bilbo, Camp, or refusing to bring up another QB.

I am thinking out loud in the remaining thoughts.

Since Gailey has the ultimate responsibility for decisions, it would be to the best interest of the football team to place the best players on the field regardless of any undercurrents or ill feelings between coach and players. That is the honest and upright approach to assure the best chance for all the players to realize a winning season.

Even, if a coach feels he has to discipline a player for attitudes or other reasons, it should not be at the expense of the team. Either the best players are placed on the field, or a player or players are suspended until their attitudes change.

If an assistant coach is involved with any undercurrents between a head coach and some players, then the assistant should immediately be given a pink slip.

However, if the head coach has decided to wait until the end of the year to solve any internal problems, then his efforts should be to get the best players on the field regardless of any of the internal problems.

He can deal with any disciplinary or corrective problems after the season. The number one goal for the football team and the fans is to get the very best players on the field giveing Tech the best chance to win.

The players would be happy, the fans would be happy, and probably most of the internal disentions would go away.

All of this, of course, is if there are any internal problems. I am convinced something fishy is going on with the offensive side of the game.

drinking.gif

Tech's article in The Augusta Chronicle this morning stated that CG changed several of BOB's passing plays to running plays yesterday. I agree. I think BOB will be gone next year and that will be a mistake!

If anyone saw the paper today Gailey took the blame for the 2nd half offensive performance. He stated that he overruled BOB because the defense was playing great and there was no need to take unnecessary risks.

I wonder how often has he overruled BOB? Without any facts it is pure speculation on our part.

I'll agree with Gailey on this, an ugly win is still a win.

Lets get ready for the Thanksgiving holiday. I would love the mutts to be 0-2. (Basketball and football)

I have to agree with Gailey...with a caveat. Suggs was off yesterday, and with a large lead there's no reason to put the ball in the air. He threw some really ugly passes(and interceptions) yesterday. Keep it on the ground and get the win.

The caveat is that Bilbo should have been in. If you're going to play conservatively, why not let your QB of the future get some PT in?

Originally posted by Culb:
I have to agree with Gailey...with a caveat. Suggs was off yesterday, and with a large lead there's no reason to put the ball in the air. He threw some really ugly passes(and interceptions) yesterday. Keep it on the ground and get the win.

The caveat is that Bilbo should have been in. If you're going to play conservatively, why not let your QB of the future get some PT in?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">It is possible (pure speculation) that Gailey just does not have confidence in Bilbo until he goes through a spring practice with the proper mindset.

Everyone presumed (including Bilbo) that this was AJ's team and Bilbo would step in after AJ left.

Well it does not look like that has worked out and if you factor in the possibility of poor QB coaching then the safer call is just to ride out AJ then next year bring in someone who can do the job.

I am just guessing but it seems like a plausable scenario.

As I said on an earlier post...lets not make a big deal about nothing. It simply appears the coaches are giving us more specific info. since we, the alums/fans, are being so vocal all the time now. Now we just try to twist the info around like the darn media to make a story out of it!
...just because CG overrides BOB on a couple of play...that does not mean that they do not get along. I liken this to the COO of a company balancing contract issues between their Sales and Operations Departments to win new clients. Sometimes the COO will give Sales what they want...sometimes Ops...whatever it takes to win the deal. BOB's job is to score points...Tenuta's job is to not give up points...CG's job is to mesh each of their styles together to put a W on the board.

I don't think Gaily overriding BOB is anything out of the ordinary. The head coach is the person who is fully responsible for how the team performs and thus has the right to adjust the game plan during the game. I will agree with him in the sense that a win is a win.

My bigger question is why not give the backups a chance to play if your starting QB was not 100%. If Bilbo isn't ready then at least give Camp some snaps since we may very well need him. It is highly unlikely that we only have one QB on the entire team who knows how to run our offense, but I've been wrong before. I just would have liked to have seen us work out the kinks on an offense that has continued to have difficulties scoring. Especially going into the biggest game of the year.

My biggest concern is the coach(s) not having the back up ready to play. If I see DeBo take the snap and run up the middle one more time I will puke. Does not matter to me if BO'B is here next year or not as long as the job gets done. Do not understand fan's obsession with particular coaches. The job is not getting done, although I may be harsh considering the injuries, but CB is responsible for O'B, and Clough is responsible for CB.

Heck........O'Leary used to over ride Ralph on occasion. Every head coach worth his salt over rides the OC from time to time, that is why he is the head coach

texstinger, we've won sever freakin games!!! We could have/should have won 3 more. At least you mention the injuries which many do not but the number we have had has to screw with timing and continuity, and our QBs have not stepped up the way we expected. Now you can blame it all on the coaches if you want, but it's also reasonable to think that it's because of the coaches that we've done as well as we have. The reason for DB not being ready may be poor coaching or it may be that he isn't mature enough as a player to perform under pressure what he has been taught. We'll know more about him next year.

And you are right, ultimately Clough is responsible for everything, although I'm not sure what the point is.

It doesn't appear they can get along. O'B will not even be here for the Tangerine Bowl. Who will be our new Offensive Co-ordinator?

ncjacket, what I am referring to is really the guts AJ showed by just playing with the flu/infected wisdom tooth. I would have hoped that,because he was not 100%, that the coaches would have by this time developed a back up. Was not being critical of players.

Back