Can we move the ball vs. the 3-3-5?

I apologize for implying that BYU was anything special if that's how it was read. I am simply pointing out that there are some big differences between last year's team and this year's team in some key ways.

An aerospace engineer can bring to his shed of recources graphite, steel, aluminum, titanium and all types of exotic composites and structural designs. But without his proper input he has either a wing or a lead like mess. I once listened to an east block materials scientist talk about how America had defeated the old Soviet system because they knew how to do things and not just copy things. He said we could make a plane that looks like the F-15, but we couldn't really make an F-15 (their Mig 29). "We didn't have the more critical knowledge and while it performs some things even better than an F-15, the Eagle flies circle around the MIG in combat and there is no comparison."

BYU has had the materials, just not the right engineer before Mendenhall arrived. Coaching is the key to success. Mendenhall will probably build a much better fundamentally skilled defense at BYU.

Does that analogy help?

Wake Forest runs the same defense. I have confirmed this.

Tech wins 31 - 17

Originally posted by Sports Forum West:
I apologize for implying that BYU was anything special if that's how it was read. I am simply pointing out that there are some big differences between last year's team and this year's team in some key ways.

An aerospace engineer can bring to his shed of recources graphite, steel, aluminum, titanium and all types of exotic composites and structural designs. But without his proper input he has either a wing or a lead like mess. I once listened to an east block materials scientist talk about how America had defeated the old Soviet system because they knew how to do things and not just copy things. He said we could make a plane that looks like the F-15, but we couldn't really make an F-15 (their Mig 29). "We didn't have the more critical knowledge and while it performs some things even better than an F-15, the Eagle flies circle around the MIG in combat and there is no comparison."

BYU has had the materials, just not the right engineer before Mendenhall arrived. Coaching is the key to success. Mendenhall will probably build a much better fundamentally skilled defense at BYU.

Does that analogy help?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Using that analogy, the engineer (Mendenhall) would have to pry off each piece, bang out all the dents, straighten them out, and then remold them into something he wants. Sounds like a lot to do in a preseason.

I hope you're right though. That would mean that GT will be facing a crew that will be just learning things themselves.
fart.gif

Jackit makes an interesting point. Unlearning bad things might be as important for BYU's good players. Some of them had some pretty bad skill habits and that can be hard to change. They are a very disciplined bunch of kids. As some of you point out correctly, many are return missionaries so they have a mental maturity level that could be of some help when learning to play fundamental ball a second time.

West,
Looking at BYU last yr I saw some good athletes esp DBs(I agree on Heany).The def up front was questionable.If we can not run the ball even with the stacked blitz configuration we will LOSE and maybe big.
I'm also afraid that our young DBs have not seen a decent pass game like BYU has.Our only hope is our Sr LBs link the defense and cause enough problems for a questionable BYU running game.Maybe then it will slow the pass also.
Actually all that may even out but turnovers and the kick game will strongly favor the Kitties.That should do us in.

Originally posted by bob23:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by Sports Forum West:

So with Mendenhall has now gone from UNM to BYU, has better athletes (14 with starting Experience, 3 legitimate All-Am prospects), so it's expected that BYU will be very very good defensively.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Agree with most of your post with the exception of this. Three AA candidates from a team with a weak defense? Not saying I know you're wrong, because I don't know BYU's personnel very well, but I would challenge the assertion that they have 3 AA candidates on defense...</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">He also said yesterday that Ray Guy went to Utah State. This guy makes some of the most well thought out posts on this board, but then he makes outrageous claims (you know, like he invented the question mark).

Back