Carol Moore was scared of GOL

buzzy bee

Varsity Lurker
I wonder if General Wood might be able to add to this but Carol Moore was scared to death of GOL. Everyone knew this. She couldn't wait for him to leave and then get back at anyone associated with the football program. Her statements this morning in the AJC make me sick.

If the system is not corrected (bye-bye Carol) we will be in for the worst decade in GT history.

How many of you who have been associated with GT ever made the vow to never go back to the Bill Lewis days again. Well it's time to be heard. Start with Clough..to Braine..to Moore, etc. Don't sit back and let this happen..unless you are a big fan of MIT football.

the mere fact that this happenned means someone's head should roll.

I am not familiar enough to know who is MORE at fought but that is not the issue. Sometimes you take the hit for your subordinates.

I know if I had an 18 y/o athlete for my child I would have to give careful consideration before I let them go to GT.

I think Moore should probably be fired for her statements made to the press. Her attitude that "it is not MY problem" is such crap. When we recruit an athlete we sit in his house and tell his mom and dad how we are going to care of them.

I know if I was another coach recruiting against GT I would blow up her statements and hand them out to the recruits.

Does she not know everytime she opens her mouth she embarrasses GT and herself.

When you promise a young man or women support and this happens you look like a big LIAR.

The numbers are TOO HIGH for her to be saying NOT MY PROBLEM.

Someone at GT needs to muzzle her! Again, here's GT allowing these kind of statements... they need some drastic steps taken in the public relations area!

For a school with the kind of students they graduate - the people who work inside are definitely not as smart as those who get their degrees from there. The bleeding has to STOP soon or all GT athletics will be taking this hit!

She would not even get near the second floor except to eat lunch.

I borrowed this from Thomas Sowell, "All of us are ignorant, if not misinformed, on vast numbers of things. What makes experts different is that they dare not admit it. That is also what makes experts dangerous"

I found this appropriate for the situation and you can insert pictures of the proper parties.

This is much worse than "Resume-Gate" and people immediately were punished. Hey, I think those who did not perform in this ONE PARTICULAR AREA should be history tomorrow morning. Ipso facto, corpus-delecti, and modus operandum!!

that's the rub. It appears GT is taking this attitude that these are "dumb" athletes and they don't matter.

At the risk of bring the Catholic church into this, this whole mess reminds me of the church scandal.

They are so busy covering up to protect themselves, they have forgotten, if they ever knew, their mission is to serve the kids.

Techsamillion, I agree, Resume-Gate was really small compared to the magnitude of this situation.

I am not sure of the number, anywhere from 8-11 mentioned as failing, but this has been indicated as being the tip of the iceberg.

The number of 8-11 failures at one time is mind boggling, but to hear it may be the tip of the iceberg is really scary.

Probably O'Leary's resume would have been changed somewhere along the line if everyone thought it was that important. It seemed there were a lot of people fudging (that does not make it right), and all those associated with the resume just figured it should be left alone.

That was a mistake of judgement, not one of gross negligence. This mistake basically hurt only one man and his family.

The negligence of the hill to monitor, evaluate, and correct the tutoring situation will affect many people past, present, and future.

Someone at Tech either should have known or did know the athletes were in trouble grade-wise. Whoever was responsible, possessed the authority, and took no action to correct the deficiencies, appears to have been negligent.

Surely, the one responsible had to understand the kids passing of these courses were extremely important to them, all of Tech, and the Tech family. If, as stated, the coach was intentionally left out of the loop, then it means someone else, remaining in the loop, is responsible.

Even though the student is ultimately responsible for attending the classes, the monitoring and tutoring system exists because of its need. If it is not going to be proactive and prevent a disaster like this, it might as well be abandoned.

At this point, it is history, but the problem should be rectified immediately. There may be some instances where the kid did not try and did not care, but there may be instances where the kid tried and just came up short.

Since the school failed miserably on the ones that tried, it seems reasonable to me, the administration should review each SA and determine if some changes are in order on his past quarter of work.

Why should a kid be the victim if he was promised help, but did not get the help he needed.

I would not dare to suggest this in a normal situation. This particular situation suggests it was abnormal for the SA, and the tutoring and monitoring system failed the student.

I, also, would not suggest it for any of those students who just would not try because they did not really care to play for the coach.

This affects Tech in many ways. Georgia Tech is one of the most well known technical schools in the country. It is popular and draws many of its students because of both the academics and sports.

The popularity of the school also benefits the president and the faculty. If there were no football, the school would not be as popular, might have fewer students, smaller salary for the president, and smaller salaries for the faculty.

If the sports became insignificant at Tech, it is possible the large contributions might also drop in all facets of the school.

The problem is as important as the many that have complained about it.

The guilty party or parties may not be as obvious, but the problem is very obvious.

drinking.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
This affects Tech in many ways. Georgia Tech is one of the most well known technical schools in the country. It is popular and draws many of its students because of both the academics and sports.

The popularity of the school also benefits the president and the faculty. If there were no football, the school would not be as popular, might have fewer students, smaller salary for the president, and smaller salaries for the faculty.

If the sports became insignificant at Tech, it is possible the large contributions might also drop in all facets of the school.
drinking.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Sorry Ahso, your first paragraph doesn't fly one bit. GT could drop to Div. 2 athletics today and it would not have a significant impact on the "popularity" of the school from an Academic stand point, or academic recruitment. Nor would it affect the financial situation of GT in any manner that you could notice. Sports does not draw "many" (your words) students to GT. GT Sports doesn't help a single GT graduate in their job interviews.

Your second paragraph it sounds like you are talking in theoretical terms. Sure in theory all of that is possible... for a place like UGA. Not so for GT. State of the football program at GT has had exteremely minimal if any impact on those things you mention.

Your third paragraph, while I recognize you are simply proposing an idea, that idea doesn't hold any water either. If you understood where GT's money comes from, then you would know that dropping football all together would have zero impact. Heck, I would venture to say it migh actually generate more revenue for the academic/research side.

Academics and Athletics at Tech, while they have coexisted for a long itme, are mutually exclusive. One does not need the other.

Beeserk, you may be entirely correct. I have been made to "cool down" tonight and not speak so freely (personally).
But I really, honestly, wonder if you are correct in the following:

"Academics and Athletics at Tech, while they have coexisted for a long itme, are mutually exclusive. One does not need the other."

I really do believe that Tech needs a strong athletic program in order to experience "elite" existence.
were it not for Tech football/basketball, many would not know of its existence, imho.

Now if that is what Tech would desire, then surely enough that is what Tech can inherit; but it grew in esteem mutually as a top flight academic institution and an above average, sometimes superior athletic institution.

I hate the thoughts of it being an
MIT of the South......I think it would eventually become less. Again, just mho.
smile.gif

Techs,

I am right there with you, and want the same things as you. You just have to define which audience thinks we are "elite". Are we elite in sports circles, in academics, or both?

You, I, and many others obviously want both. Myself, i don't think we can be "elite" in athletics AND academics. I have no doubt we are and will continue to be elite in academics. Whether you want to be or not... we are MIT of the south. I think we can compete and excel in certain years for athletics. However, to excel we have to have the right people in all athletic positions. In this day and age it very well may take a Tech man (with a brain) to run things, and at a very minimum a coach who understands the academics from the get go.

There is a HUGE population of the GT family doesn't care about sports. Why do you think we can't fill our stadium?

I certainly hope GT can achieve eliteness, but it will always be "unique"!

It's my belief that sports give GT national recognition and the school's reputation is then reinforced by its academic program -- that's certainly how I became familiar with GT when I was younger. It wasn't just football and basketball either. GT baseball and golf consistently had top shelf programs and they were well known for that, even up north where I'm originally from.

I don't know about others who have passed by (I know there are many students and alumni that don't care about sports), but when I came to GT, one of the main appeals to me was its glorious athletic history in various sports.

Overall, in my opinion, GT doesn't have the national academic recognition of an MIT, CalTech, or Ivy League school. I think the academic reputation of GT is greatly aided by those who speak of it in the media and that helps it gain academic recognition.

Beeserk.....
Thank you for further clarification. For some reason, the statement that stood out most to me personally was:

"There is a HUGE population of the GT family doesn't care about sports."

I guess truly therein lies the rub, and therein lies the bone of contention that appears (to me at least) to be more prevalent than ever.

I guess my problem is trying to understand that part of the GT family that does not care about sports, and worse: detests sports. I just wonder if times,if they are not prevailing upon the higher powers to the extent that to have decent sports programs will always be a struggle and to have superior programs may be (eventually) impossible.

I for one, were I a proponent of Tech being the "MIT" of the South, would be very despondent: because if that were my goal (my personality suffers). If I could not surpass M.I.T. (that being where my interests lie) I would be most miserable. If academics were that prevalently important, I could never rest until MIT were trying to be the G.T. of the North. Maybe here is one of the real trouble areas; but no commoner can help here.

If these eggheads have their desires fulfilled much further, BDS is going to be an ancient relic one day surpassing the pitificity of Penn Stadium in Philadelphia. I stood at the oldest stadium one day in the 70's, looked down, and almost cried. A monument to pretense and FAILURE.

I have no power; I have to go with what occurs: but if the group you speak of progresses much further, then my guts will have to be calmed (after 43 years of living and dying with Tech) by saying: Tootle ooh!! I will not live and die with a Georgia Southern, Valdosta, etc. type existence, and I will never connect with UGAG; so I will just go to my grave content to major on things more worthy. sorry, that is just how I feel. No offense to anyone. I say, Pres. C.; you are on the spot good brother (maybe the results will not show in your lifetime) but they will be on your tombstone visable or invisable.

Originally posted by Thunder:
It's my belief that sports give GT national recognition and the school's reputation is then reinforced by its academic program -- that's certainly how I became familiar with GT when I was younger. It wasn't just football and basketball either. GT baseball and golf consistently had top shelf programs and they were well known for that, even up north where I'm originally from.

I don't know about others who have passed by (I know there are many students and alumni that don't care about sports), but when I came to GT, one of the main appeals to me was its glorious athletic history in various sports.

Overall, in my opinion, GT doesn't have the national academic recognition of an MIT, CalTech, or Ivy League school. I think the academic reputation of GT is greatly aided by those who speak of it in the media and that helps it gain academic recognition.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Just curious, have you graduated yet? Serious question. GT students typically don't grasp the importance of what GT means until they graduate and get into industry.

Actually you have it backwards. GT isn't regarded as high by "the media". Our grad rates kill our "rankings" by US News, and other media outlets.

If you look at rankings by actual people in idustry, we are CONSISTENTLY ranked #3. Behind Cal Tech and MIT.

You are simply wrong that GT's "reputation" is enhanced by its academics. GT's reputation is based on what it's graduates have done after graduation. GT's repuations is for putting out Engineers (and all types of degrees now) that perform better than most. Academics IS GT's reputation.

Sure, the GT name is recognized nationally. Sports has certainly helped that. It has not formed a "reputaton" though.

BeeSerk, I have stated my opinions and you have stated yours. That is good, now others can throw the items back and forth and comment on them.

I will tell you that the beginning of Bobby Dodd and his great teams in the early fifties plus his amazing wins in the bowl games helped put Tech on the map in the South.

At that time people all around the South came to Grant Field to see the Yellow Jackets play their brand of football. It became very hard to get tickets in those days with most games being sellouts.

That era of football, indeed, placed Tech on the map as a school known across the US. I read years ago the reason more and more colleges were fielding football teams was the fact it caused more students to attend those colleges. I can see the reasoning, because many kids go to college to have fun along with getting a degree.

smile.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
BeeSerk, I have stated my opinions and you have stated yours. That is good, now others can throw the items back and forth and comment on them.

I will tell you that the beginning of Bobby Dodd and his great teams in the early fifties plus his amazing wins in the bowl games helped put Tech on the map in the South.

At that time people all around the South came to Grant Field to see the Yellow Jackets play their brand of football. It became very hard to get tickets in those days with most games being sellouts.

That era of football, indeed, placed Tech on the map as a school known across the US. I read years ago the reason more and more colleges were fielding football teams was the fact it caused more students to attend those colleges. I can see the reasoning, because many kids go to college to have fun along with getting a degree.

smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ahso, I don't doubt these statements one bit. In fact, I would trust you more than some young punk like me about that time and era.
smile.gif

No doubt that Dodd and GT football got GT's name in papers all across the country back then.

My main point is that GT Football has very little to do with GT's reputation (at least where it counts). Sure, national recognition is a great thing for our sports program. National recognition brings in more money for our sports program. It does very little for the school itself in this day and age.

We have national recognition today because of our engineers and other degree holders. They are spread out all over the country now (which is an interesting topic in and of itself since Tech was founded to help rebuild the South and make it economically competitive).

I LOVE GT football! I don't want to see it end, and in fact I want to see it reach new heigths. I simply see the clear distinctions between the "school" and the athletic program. If battle lines are ever drawn, the "school" will always win.

BEESerk, my experience working at Duke for 11 years is contrary to your opinion. Even a school with the academic reputation Duke has experiences increases in applicants and acceptance rates when their basketball team does well. Does that make it a better school? I don't know. If you can choose a higher caliber of student it should improve the academic standing of the school. I believe that if Tech dropped to D-2 we would still be a great engineering school. But it would have an affect on Tech. We would see fewer applicants. We would see much less involvement and interest from alumni. And I believe we would get significantly less support from the state.

Ahso, you are spot on here.

As a kid in New Orleans I ushered at Tulane games and the Sugar Bowl. Seeing GT play in the Sugar Bowl in 1956 and 1957 (IIRC) I was hooked. I'll never forget the model airplane they flew at halftime (made to look like a Yellow Jacket of course). Even though I ended up at Purdue for B.S., the Tech intrigue continued and I ended up there for graduate school. This would never have happened if not for that earlier memory, since I was not in the Southeast.

Coincidently, my first job was at Lockheed and one of my co-workers was Bob Barton, who I learned was the one flying that model plane 10 years earlier.

Back