CCG recap from the ATL Touchdown Club Yesterday

It's an excellent report, and CG speaks directly to the QB issue. We masy not like his answer, but he's got one. That satisfies me.

Recruiting in GA is very difficult for GT. Unfortunate reality: Georgia Schools ranked dead last in the nation in academic achievement scores. GT incoming freshman average SAT is 1330+. GT will recruit neither a great player/marginal student nor a great student/marginal player. In order to recruit Great player/great student, we must recruit nationally. Coach Braine assured CCG as a pre-req to hiring that we would have the necessary budget to do so. Our list of targeted players is not the same as any recruiting service. We will get players with the ability to achieve the following goals: Win the ACC and beat Georgia.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thank you!!! Maybe reading these statements that came from the man himself will finally get through that black hole Beeware call's a brain!

I got crucified for bringing this up over a month ago when the recruiting topics began to appear and simply decided to ignore his (Beeware's) defense mechanisms as labeling anyone opposing his view an "idiot"!

We will be young on Defense next year and veteran on Offense (reversal of this year). We lose most of secondary, several of 2-deep linemen and LBs. Hopefully Gathers will return at full strength and make great Bookends with Hargrove, but we wil still be young on line and especially in the secondary.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">This is where we find out how much a recruiter coach Tenuta is. His track record speaks well of his ability to bring in very talented personnel. I'm anxiously excited about seeing what type of players on the "D" side we're able to bring in.

There are plenty of Georgia athletes that do just fine at Georgia Tech. About half of our roster is made up of them.
So far, over 30 Georgia high school football players have verbally committed to Division 1 schools including Duke and Vanderbilt....but not one has committed to Georgia Tech.
We were already recruiting nationally before Chan got here. We have recently signed players from California, Colorado, Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Florida, South Carolina, Tennessee, Ohio, New Jersey, New York, etc. Recruiting nationally is nothing new at TECH but NOT recruiting Georgia (successfully) is new and is ridiculous.
Chan and his ragamuffin staff are running this program into the ground right in front of our eyes. You may tolerate it...you may even welcome it...but you can't say it is a surprise because you were warned in advance.
Tenuta will most likely be gone after this year. Regardless, he has a reputation of absolutely detesting recruiting. The North Carolina folks blame him personally for losing several key recruits last year. What happens when Roof's recruits (a lot of which are from Georgia) graduate??

Good report. Still having a hard time understanding how Bilbo has gone from being in the running for the starting job to knowing very little about the offense. If you go back you'll see that Bilbo was looking off receivers before AJ was. I'll defer to the coaches on this one but it sure seems wierd. My big concern right now is our offense putting up more points. I don't care who does it.

Also, I'm not sure I totally buy into the fact that we can't recruit in Georgia due to the SAT scores since we've been able to do it every year before now. However, I also don't have any concerns regarding how recruiting is going or in what states we are recruiting. As long as we have a great bunch of kids, who cares where they come from? I think we'll do just fine.

If Ga. boys do not make the grades, then why are we recruiting 2 Washington High guys. Last time I checked, Washington High was at the BOTTOM of the educational food chain in the state. I'm all for these guys coming to Tech...just trying to prove the falsehoods in some of Gailey's statements concerning recruiting in the state.
BOO

It ewill be very interesting to see how many Georgia High School graduates sign FB scholarships with schools of high academic reputation..i.e Vanderbilt, Duke, Stanford or a service academy. Of course even Vandy, Duke and Stanford can find a curriculum that does not include calculus, physics and chemistry. Service academies are more like GT in the courses required. The jury is still out on Gailey from a coaching perspective but there will be a quick verdict from Tech fans once the recruiting season is over.

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
If Ga. boys do not make the grades, then why are we recruiting 2 Washington High guys. Last time I checked, Washington High was at the BOTTOM of the educational food chain in the state. I'm all for these guys coming to Tech...just trying to prove the falsehoods in some of Gailey's statements concerning recruiting in the state.
BOO
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think it is a lot of spin from Gailey. O'Leary did the same thing when he got here. It is funny how much smarter the GA players got when he started winning.

Nobody said we can't recruit Georgia. What has been said is we can't fill a class of 25+ players on what is available in Georgia............Beeware is and continues to be the biggest idiot on this board and if I ever meet him I will tell him face to face

Originally posted by jacketguy:
Good Recap from the Hive
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Perhaps you could post it over here since I HAVE BEEN BANNED FROM THIS COMMUNITY

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Here you go:

I have heard Coach Gailey speak twice now plus one "Lunch w/ Chan" and yesterday at the Touchdown Club was by far the most impressed I have been. Until yesterday, I thought Chan really hated public speaking.

He is extremely proud of the character of this team. He loves the attitude and toughness that they have displayed in overcoming adversity and never quitting. He feels that GT has played 1 very bad half of a football game (2nd half-UM), and other than that "we've been right there with a chance to win."

He has enjoyed coaching college 6 weeks and the other 4 weren't as good. This is the same in high school, college and pro. You feel better about what you do when you win. The difference he likes best is the impact he can have on the lives of young men (primarily in shaping their character). Pro players aren't looking for that type of guidance much anymore.

His primary topic for this speech was that he was "a product of all coaches he had played for/coached under." He anecdotally listed all of the coaching influences and the primary characteristic that he learned from them. I won't get all the names/characteristics right, but here is what I remember:

His first coach: Toughness and Fundamentals.
Dan Reeves: Organization and Coordination of Effort
Bill Cowher: "What you see is what you get," use your knowledge of fundamentals, but be creative and get the best players on the field where they can help the team (Slash was born).
Jerry Jones: It was good to be there, and it's good to be gone. He learned that he would never again be HC/Offensive Co-ordinator (2 full-time jobs).
Miami Coach: I don't remember.

Q & A (Questions implied):

He was very firm in his opinions of the following:

If you play football, there is a chance you will be injured. If he could tell when a player was going to be injured, He would sit them out just prior to that. Hollings had only played halves of two games, one full game and was obviously featured in the game he got hurt. Editor's note: Injuries occur in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters of games with no statistically significant difference of proportion. If the player says he can play, you have to trust him.

Recruiting in GA is very difficult for GT. Unfortunate reality: Georgia Schools ranked dead last in the nation in academic achievement scores. GT incoming freshman average SAT is 1330+. GT will recruit neither a great player/marginal student nor a great student/marginal player. In order to recruit Great player/great student, we must recruit nationally. Coach Braine assured CCG as a pre-req to hiring that we would have the necessary budget to do so. Our list of targeted players is not the same as any recruiting service. We will get players with the ability to achieve the following goals: Win the ACC and beat Georgia.

He does not favor a College Football Playoff. He said "We are supposed to be an amateur sport. And IF that is what we truly are, then the bowl system is the best system." The primary reason: 25 teams get to go home and consider their season a success on some level. With a playoff system, only 1 team gets to feel great about their season.

Toughest team on GT's schedule this year: DUKE. Because we play them next.

Bilbo is NOT ready to be the starting QB. His progress has been slower than anticipated/hoped for. He can only handle "packages" right now and will only be used if we need a change of pace. Can be effective in that role. Exposing both QBs to injury (by inserting Bilbo at another position) in a given play is too risky when you don't have an experienced 3rd option.

We will be young on Defense next year and veteran on Offense (reversal of this year). We lose most of secondary, several of 2-deep linemen and LBs. Hopefully Gathers will return at full strength and make great Bookends with Hargrove, but we wil still be young on line and especially in the secondary.

I just don't see how Bilbo goes from being a co-number 1 going into the fall to a guy who only knows packages. Did he forget plays he learned in the spring? I think Suggs is a better fit for Gailey's type of offense and that's reason more than this he doesn't know the offense line we keep hearing.

Vandy & Puke u are private schools. Tech is a state university supported by the tax payers of this state. If we do not have the ability now to get the SA's to help us win big from this state then we as taxpayers here should demand changes academically. It is not dumbing down, it is being of service to the people paying your bills. Tech is suppose to be in existence for the students of the state of Georgia, not friggin New Jersey. We demand the ability to get our fair share NOW.

We've added to the playbook since the season started. It's entirely possible that Bilbo was slightly behind at the beginning of the year but has fallen farther back if he isn't able to keep up with the additions. And before anyone says anything, every team adds plays/schemes as the year goes on. Often they add specific stuff for particular opponents. Maybe Bilbo isn't comfortable enough with the basic stuff to be able to assimilate the additions?

Originally posted by ncjacket:
We've added to the playbook since the season started. It's entirely possible that Bilbo was slightly behind at the beginning of the year but has fallen farther back if he isn't able to keep up with the additions. And before anyone says anything, every team adds plays/schemes as the year goes on. Often they add specific stuff for particular opponents. Maybe Bilbo isn't comfortable enough with the basic stuff to be able to assimilate the additions?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Good statement nc I believe the big O called it the light comming on.

Back