'CG couldn't be as involved in daily academic progress as O'L'?

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
\'CG couldn\'t be as involved in daily academic progress as O\'L\'?

Man, did he make a bad, bad mistake. In today's AJC (linked in toto at bottom) it says:'As a result of this change, Gailey could not be as involved in the day to day academic progress of his players as was O'Leary, who was almost obsessive in riding herd over his players when it came to academics'. IMO, O'Leary, nor Ross, would've put up with this garbage of not being in total knowledge of the academics of their players.
The AJC also reports what could be another bad, bad mistake, but the paper attributes this as only what 'others' said:'Others, however, said that Gailey was not as demanding about class and study hall attendance because of a management style that came from his NFL experience. Gailey chose not to address that criticism'. IMO, this style is very laisse-faire & OBVIOUSLY doesn't work @ GT.
The AJC goes on to quote O'Leary directly:"I was very hands on to the point where I probably annoyed a bunch of people there. I knew when the tests were going to take place. I had people checking classes and study halls to make sure kids were there. I probably spent 50 to 60 percent of my time on academics. But that's how you have to do it because it is such a different situation academically." IMO, I agree totally with O'Leary. @ GT you have to be completely on top of the academics.
To sum up: I believe Gailey made a horrible, awful mistake by putting up with anything where he didn't have full control in keeping up with what his players were doing academically. If true about Gailey's mgt style, then CG made another terrible mistake by not demanding academic competence. What Gailey is doing is not working & must be changed, either by him or someone else. Ga Tech has paid a huge price.

AJC says Gailey couldn't do what O'Leary did

Re: \'CG couldn\'t be as involved in daily academic progress as O\'L\'?

Ace, let's come back to the point of reality......the AJC will make trouble for Tech at every opportunity.....read what they said and what you said very carefully:
"The AJC also reports what could be another bad, bad mistake, but the paper attributes this as only what 'others' said:'Others, however, said that Gailey was not as demanding about class and study hall attendance because of a management style that came from his NFL experience." Gailey chose not to address that criticism'.IMO, this style is very laisse-faire & OBVIOUSLY doesn't work @ GT.
I am no conspiracy NUT(!!!), but I can see those who want to throw firewood on the blaze. Folks let us all wake UP: First Discovery Needed: "Who is the REAL/TRUE enemy of success at any Georgia Tech function????? All this "terminolgy" is pure baloney!!!!!!! Let's settle down, and get to the truth: then act upon the TRUTH, and nothing less.

Gotta agree with techasmillion. AJC couldn't give a hoot'n holler for GT. IMO the only way GT will get any respect from AJC is for GT to become the dominate force in our state for a stretch of 3-4 years. Until that happens, UGA will continue to be the "politically correct" camp for the AJC as has been for a long time.
Also, GOL's comment surprised me and it cost some of the respect that I had for GOL. Looks like he took an opportunity to undercut CCG and GT. Admitted, I may be reading something in there that I shouldn't, but it stuck up there like a neon sign to me.
As I see it, the best source for depression for GT is the AJC, and UGA loves it and is eating it up. Let's not fall into any traps. Sure, read AJC, but keep that grain of salt handy. LOL

Ace.. the skids are greased... All that is needed now is a push...

GT Ace, if I am not mistaken, Gailey was told by the administration that the new set up was becoming standard at most all institutions so the coach could not interfere with the academics.

Now, you say O'Leary and Ross would not put up with such a plan. They would in today's set up or they would not be here. Why do you think the coach from Boston College reneged and removed his name from Tech's list of candidates?

Gailey was told the score when he was hired and agreed to the new rule. He could either agree and come here or disagree and not be invited here the same as the Boston College coach.

It seems rather simple to make accusations and assumptions when you don't have all the information in front of you.

It is the same as the movie stars telling Bush how to run the war without having knowledge of all the intelligence information. "The blind leading the blind and both shall fall into the ditch".

rolleyes.gif

Million, it's been well documented by many other sources, besides the AJC, that Chan is much more laid back & not as intense on the players as was George. In fact, quite a bit of this info came directly from the players after Spring a yr ago when many were talking about how much easier it was with Chan at the helm.
Our own players are many of the 'OTHERS'.
The AJC did a fairly nice piece on this MAJOR headliner of losing 10 of your players, many in important roles. Very informative, with quotes from a coupla different sources to give perspective. Losing 10 varsity players after 1 semester is real darn mindboggling for everyone, including the AJC.
Shoot the AJC messenger if ya'll want to, but we've got a mess over there. I pointed out the downfall of not getting enough recruits that we could've taken this past Winter. Gailey hollered "if we keep all we recruit then 20 is enough each yr". Now look at where this philosophy leaves us!!!!

Originally posted by techsamillion:
Ace, let's come back to the point of reality......the AJC will make trouble for Tech at every opportunity.....read what they said and what you said very carefully:
"The AJC also reports what could be another bad, bad mistake, but the paper attributes this as only what 'others' said:'Others, however, said that Gailey was not as demanding about class and study hall attendance because of a management style that came from his NFL experience." Gailey chose not to address that criticism'.IMO, this style is very laisse-faire & OBVIOUSLY doesn't work @ GT.
I am no conspiracy NUT(!!!), but I can see those who want to throw firewood on the blaze. Folks let us all wake UP: First Discovery Needed: "Who is the REAL/TRUE enemy of success at any Georgia Tech function????? All this "terminolgy" is pure baloney!!!!!!! Let's settle down, and get to the truth: then act upon the TRUTH, and nothing less.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Techs... thanks for bring a bit of sanity to this board... you are like a breath of fresh air..

JacketGuy.. this is the breath of fresh air your boy techsamillion brings to this board.. Quoting from this thread from yesterday: http://www.stingtalk.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004464

Here are his words: "Some of you are prime candidates for situations begging for mob violence and lynching parties."

Threatening people.. not only very immature, but sad.. very, very said.. This is your breath of fresh air? I am very big on letting everyone express their opinion & have their say.. Threatening other people with violence is where the line should be drawn.. I'm sure if the owners of this board see this behavior they will move to dismiss this individual immediately & permanently...

BeeBad, try reading the post again. What is being said is that some posters are prime candidates TO BE IN a lynching party, not to be lynched. Reading comprehension babe, it's a wonderful thing.

NC.. I read it differently than you.. Perhaps techs can verify his meaning...

Ahso, it's seems to me that there would be several ways to keep up with academic progress without interferring with the new setup the administration set up. O'L listed a few, but I'm sure there are many others to check on if your players are in class, doing study hall, going to tutoring, etc, etc.
My personal feeling, as stated, is that the 'new' santions on coaches would NOT have been the same if O'L had stayed in place.
The people who really know if Gailey was 'up' on what was happenning academically aren't talking. You, me, the AJC, & everyone else ARE assumming. U may be correct, I may be correct, the AJC may be correct, Techsamillion may be correct. Do any of us KNOW what is really happenning in our Athletic Department? NO, of course not. But, we're making some educated guesses.

GTAce, I can buy that. I think there is a lot of guessing going on right now.

Each one of us have our own ways of doing things. My way might not be the right way for someone else. His way might not be the right way for me.

After having said that, I would make my investigation and give a full report to the school and fans. In my way of thinking, it is better to have everything out on the table than to have a lot of guessing and innuendos among the fans.

I, also think the fan has a right to know what is going on internally because he is funding the football program.

wink.gif

Originally posted by techsamillion:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Tech: I think in this instance and have not always felt the AJC was against Tech just a lot more pro-Dawg. I also have seen over this last month the AJC very much ragging on UGAG on a continuing basis for all their most embarassing behavior. Day in and day out they have not let it go.

It's the situation at Tech that has us in the paper and I believe they (the writers) spoke fairly on what they investigated. It's a hard pill to swallow but this time we were lucky that UGAG was having so much more crap going on at the same time - they got more negative pub then we did and their's was about breaking laws and DUIs!

Back