CGC naysayers check in

johncu

Dodd-Like
Yeah, I'm not sure why people can't understand this. I am much more bothered by the way we're losing than the fact that we're losing. Watching ND move up and down the field yesterday was really depressing. By and large it wasn't exceptional athletic ability, spectacular catches, faster players, etc. It was simply much better coaching. (And by coaching I don't just mean 'play calling' but also 'training and preparing players.') There were many plays where they picked up 10-15 yds by tossing the ball to an uncovered receiver in the middle of the field.
I wasn’t even mad like I was watching the Clemson and BC games. I was just demoralized. When we got the strip sack and there was a flag on the field, I KNEW it was on us. Our defense is predictable in its tendency to give up crucial 3rd downs, our offense is predictable in its tendency to kill our own drives with penalties and turnovers, and our special teams are predictable in their complete and total incompetence outside of Pressley Harvin.

It wasn’t fun to watch.

swampsting

Now with incredulous facial expression
Basically that Collins is building a program and Golic likes what Collins is doing. Year 2 of phasing out of the 3O, got to get the right players, Collins is a great defensive guy and will get it right, kept pointing out how many true freshman and sophomore players Collins was playing. Praised the talent level of said freshman.
what TV talking head doing our games hasn't said that?

as my buddy said last night, he has people come up to go and "I like your coach." Including some guy wearing a goat's head last night.
and we said "of course you like him. he's not 5-15 for you."

cuzjacket

Varsity Lurker
You either understand how bad the inherited roster is or you don’t. True freshmen and sophomores don’t win games by themselves. They make mistakes and get beat, as do G5 level players playing better competition. It’s going to continue to happen for another year. Accept it, understand it, and you won’t be so damn frustrated.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
You either understand how bad the inherited roster is or you don’t. True freshmen and sophomores don’t win games by themselves. They make mistakes and get beat, as do G5 level players playing better competition. It’s going to continue to happen for another year. Accept it, understand it, and you won’t be so damn frustrated.
Just for kicks. And totally theoretically. For how many more years do you recommend that we all accept it? Three? Four? Seven? Because you're not the first, second, or eleventh fellow to post essentially that same thing here. But none of you fellows ever seems to put any sort of expiration date on that can of "Total Grace and Understanding" you like to spray all over our coaches.

Asking for a friend. TIA!

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Just for kicks. And totally theoretically. For how many more years do you recommend that we all accept it? Three? Four? Seven? Because you're not the first, second, or eleventh fellow to post essentially that same thing here. But none of you fellows ever seems to put any sort of expiration date on that can of "Total Grace and Understanding" you like to spray all over our coaches.

Ans: Given what was inherited (multiple consecutive recruiting classes that finished well outside of the top 50) I would give any new head coach at least 4 full years of recruiting to completely overhaul our roster. But realistically I could see it taking 5-6 full recruiting cycles to really get it going.

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******

I've posted this several times already. Our AD spelled out a timeline for you. He was given two years to play with house money.

Stansbury told the AJC that he did it because of his belief that shifting the offense and its personnel away from Johnson’s option offense will take time. Tech’s roster, for instance, has 16 running backs (including walk-ons) and no tight ends. (Johnson’s offense doesn’t use a tight end.) By comparison, the Temple roster that Collins assembled for the past two seasons has eight running backs and fullbacks and seven tight ends. A seven-year deal shows Stansbury’s commitment to invest in Collins for the long term.

“So that’s something I talked to (school president G.P. “Bud” Peterson) about early on, was I really felt like we needed to give the new head coach a seven-year contract, knowing that it was going to take a couple of years really to probably transition to whatever systems that they were ultimately going to want to run,” Stansbury said.

GTWannaBee

Dodd-Like

This is stupid. You know good and well how bad our current talent level is, and yet you expect a coach to come in here and turn things around right away. CGC has at least one more year before real criticism should start, but, to be honest, he’s not going anywhere for at least another three years. You aren’t interested in even giving him the chance to build this team though.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
Two different posters; two completely different answers. BTW, I might be wrong, but I don't think too many longtime Tech fans are going to just be patient with CGC and hold our tongues if this team still hasn't "got it going" and is still getting housed like this after "6 full recruiting cycles" (i.e., in 2025). Honestly, that sounds like a Dawg fan's dream . . .

Not surprised by the WILDLY varying answers from another full year to five more full years of patience and waiting before we can give up on CGC . . . .

But I'd still like to hear from our brother cuzjacket.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
Yeah, he has a two year grace period. At that point, I expect him to be a ‘year 1’ coach worth of expectations.

So he replaced a guy who’s teams were 6-6 over their last two years. So I would expect him to get between 5-7 wins and be roughly 4-4 in conference. Any historic ass kicking would be a really bad indicator. Losing to FCS schools would be a bad indicator. Not scoring an offensive touchdown would be a bad indicator. I would switch coordinators if that happened. But Collins himself should be safe for 5 years.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
This is stupid. You know good and well how bad our current talent level is, and yet you expect a coach to come in here and turn things around right away. CGC has at least one more year before real criticism should start, but, to be honest, he’s not going anywhere for at least another three years. You aren’t interested in even giving him the chance to build this team though.
Reading comprhension is your friend. There is a chance that if you develiop it, it will make your posts seem less "stupid."

I very clearly did not say ANYWHERE that I "expect a coach to come in here and turn things around right away." I don't. And if I HAD said that, it would have been stupid. But since I didn't say that, and instead I merely ASKED for a timeframe for our patience and lack of criticism, and when we should expect things to turn around . . . it is YOUR post that is "stupid."

But I'll mark you down in the "he gets until the end of 2021 before we should criticize" camp.

Oh, and I am well aware he is not going anywhere any time soon. Posted the same thing here more than once. Criticizing is not the same as saying "off with his head!" Thinking they are the same thing would be . . . what was that again . . . "stupid."

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
Yeah, he has a two year grace period. At that point, I expect him to be a ‘year 1’ coach worth of expectations.

So he replaced a guy who’s teams were 6-6 over their last two years. So I would expect him to get between 5-7 wins and be roughly 4-4 in conference. Any historic ass kicking would be a really bad indicator. Losing to FCS schools would be a bad indicator. Not scoring an offensive touchdown would be a bad indicator. I would switch coordinators if that happened. But Collins himself should be safe for 5 years.
So disappointing to me that so many Tech grads cannot answer a simple question that required only a simple numerical value.

So many different numbers of years in your post . . . two years, "year 1," 5 years of safety . . .

Here, maybe I should give an answer, so all of you IM majors can see how it's done . . .

For me, the expiration date of grace is two full years, End of 2021 season.

At that point, if this team still looks like a goat rodeo and is getting housed 73-7, losing to teams like The Citadel, losing season, etc., then there will be no excuses for me.

I realize he would not be fired. But that sure as hell doesn't mean I should patiently have to hold my tongue about it, or not blast TStan for botching the hire with which we would probably be saddled for a couple of more years.

Sure hope it NEVER comes to that, either. I am hoping hard that CGC is able to turn a corner and eventually get better results than we've seen so far here - or frankly, than he produced at Temple. Don't need to be seeing people here trying to keep spraying him with Teflon in 2022, 2023 . . . 2025.

Hopefully, I won't either.

Go CGC.

cuzjacket

Varsity Lurker

It takes 3 years for an average coaching change to take hold. This is no average coaching change. Year 4 is when I expect things to start clicking.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
So disappointing to me that so many Tech grads cannot answer a simple question that required only a simple numerical value.

So many different numbers of years in your post . . . two years, "year 1," 5 years of safety . . .

Here, maybe I should give an answer, so all of you IM majors can see how it's done . . .

At that point, if this team still looks like a goat rodeo and is getting housed 73-7, losing to teams like The Citadel, losing season, etc., then there will be no excuses for me.

I realize he would not be fired. But that sure as hell doesn't mean I should patiently have to hold my tongue about it, or not blast TStan for botching the hire with which we would probably be saddled for a couple of more years.

Sure hope it NEVER comes to that, either. I am hoping hard that CGC is able to turn a corner and eventually get better results than we've seen so far here - or frankly, than he produced at Temple. Don't need to be seeing people here trying to keep spraying him with Teflon in 2022, 2023 . . . 2025.

Go CGC.
We weren’t taking historic butt kickings, failing to score an offensive TD, or losing to FCS teams in CPJ last years. If any of that happens next year (after the 2020 season), I would see it as a very bad sign.

But under no circumstances would I fire CGC until the end of 2023 (short of a BL type situation). I have seen enough of our coordinators to say they need to get their öööö together by the end of next year. Neither of them have shown me much on the game planning front. Both have been pretty good with halftime adjustments. Neither seem to be able to make adjustments during a half, but that could be due to a new system (2019) or a freshman QB (2020). The defense needs to step up this year, but I will cut them some slack with the offense turning the ball over so much.

GoldZ

Dodd-Like
November of 2021 the coaches will essentially be at the end of their third season. If the Medusa like monster of: penalties, turnovers, not being able to kick PATs/FGs, secondary (CGC's specialty) being lost on their assignments, weird timeouts, and maintaining a 3rd down malaise on D, are still present throughout November, we are in deep trouble, because that is more than enough time to correct the aforementioned problems. It may be too early to expect a ton of Ws, but to expect fundamentals to be sound is more than reasonable.

OTOH, gaining some measure of momentum in late Oct thru Nov, would be a sign of better things to come, including a fair measure of Ws in 2022 (say 7-8) and 8-9 in 2023. Key at this point is 4 DTs out of the top 20 DTs in the ACC and a pass rushing DE a lot like Mr. Swilling---after all, the DTs/DEs no longer have to practice against the TO, so Elite recruiting (CGC's term), should bring em in.

GTWannaBee

Dodd-Like

Go CGC.
You are trying way too hard. Not sure why you thought we would all get together and come up with a consensus on what the amount of time should be. We all have our own opinions. My opinion is you won’t be posting on this board after this season.

Sure hope it NEVER comes to that. I’m hoping hard that YOU are able to turn the corner and eventually make better posts than we’ve seen so far here.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
You are trying way too hard. Not sure why you thought we would all get together and come up with a consensus on what the amount of time should be. We all have our own opinions. My opinion is you won’t be posting on this board after this season.

Sure hope it NEVER comes to that. I’m hoping hard that YOU are able to turn the corner and eventually make better posts than we’ve seen so far here.
You're trying way too little. At least I hope that wasn't your best.

RoanokeJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Dude, the internet doesn't do solutions