Chan Gailey .........

statelinejacket

Damn Good Rat
I expected Coach Gailey to open up the offence as the game went along and I can't understand why he did not. He tied one hand of Reggie Ball's behind his back. Maybe I should say he tied Reggie's feet up completely. Did Reshaun Grant get into the game or did he join Damarius Bilbo in the category of 'did not play-offence to simplified'? Very curious gameplan. I fully believe that Reggie Ball is the real deal, most observers do. Therefore to take all the imagination out of the gameplan makes no sense. Reggie could have handled much more of this offence if what we have been told is 100 percent true in regards to how he arrived at fall camp totally prepared by knowing the offence and able to execute it from the start. I hate to say this but it is possible that Reggie Ball was 'coached down' for this game and this could be a real indication of what we will see this year. I said it when the switch was made and Reggie replaced Damarius Bilbo, the coaches at Stephenson High deserve alot of credit for Reggie Ball's immeadiate success. And who wants to bet they was screaming at their televisions for Coach Gailey to take the cuffs off their quarterback. As harsh as this sounds....well it was ment to be.

Originally posted by statelinejacket:
I expected Coach Gailey to open up the offence as the game went along and I can't understand why he did not. He tied one hand of Reggie Ball's behind his back. Maybe I should say he tied Reggie's feet up completely. Did Reshaun Grant get into the game or did he join Damarius Bilbo in the category of 'did not play-offence to simplified'? Very curious gameplan. I fully believe that Reggie Ball is the real deal, most observers do. Therefore to take all the imagination out of the gameplan makes no sense. Reggie could have handled much more of this offence if what we have been told is 100 percent true in regards to how he arrived at fall camp totally prepared by knowing the offence and able to execute it from the start. I hate to say this but it is possible that Reggie Ball was 'coached down' for this game and this could be a real indication of what we will see this year. I said it when the switch was made and Reggie replaced Damarius Bilbo, the coaches at Stephenson High deserve alot of credit for Reggie Ball's immeadiate success. And who wants to bet they was screaming at their televisions for Coach Gailey to take the cuffs off their quarterback. As harsh as this sounds....well it was ment to be.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The last I heard, Grant had an injured ankle.

Had we held on to the ball, I have a feeling we would have scored on at least two more drives.

Originally posted by statelinejacket:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I try to respect everybody's opinion on the board so let me say this. Do you think it might be that the coach was using the plays Reggie knew well enough to run and was not able to run others because he was not experienced enough on them after all he has only been able to practice a few days. I believe we should atleast give Chan that don't you. I think If we will give him time he will build us a team we will be proud of. I was not happy to loose but was very pleased with the progress that is being made inspite of all the losses of players we have had. Just my opinion.

I think Chan ran his offence. It reminded me alot of how Miami looked when he was there. He is a pro coach. Look at how they are winning super bowls except St. Louis. OK QB who makes few mistakes in a very simple offense that is run dominated like the Baltimore Ravens or Tampa Bay. They have stifling defenses. It is night and day between the college game and pro ball. I firmly believe that for Tech to win consistently we must run a Fridge style offense with alot of motion and complexity. We will never have the athletes to line up one on one, but we have smart players who can be coached and are smarter than the average. We also need all of our athletes to play. Great move by CG to get Landry on defense, but we cannot waste DBo. Find a spot and lets play him.

Fan of Bobby Dodd: I don't know if my opinion is respected by you or anyone else, though I would like to think it is. But let me be honest with you. The coaches made this switch of Reggie Ball for Damarius Bilbo because he arrived at fall camp prepared, meaning he had this offence down and also because of his ability to execute it without making costly mistakes. Alright where was this offence he had down pat? Pitch left, pitch right, some quarterback draws, mixed in some swing passes to Jonathan Smith to see if he could make a play. Plays that Reggie himself was fully capable of doing if he was allowed to get out on the corner. Where was the option? Even a simplified offence as this could have been burdened with a couple of these. That is why I suggest that he is being 'coached down'. Because the young man appears to be capable of doing more than what his coaches allowed. As the game went along I and I believe everyone watching expected the coaches to loosen up the offence and it has to bother you that they did not.

Stateline I'm sure you understand that even the best quarterbacks who know the plays (system) have to practice them to be able to execute them properly and it also takes the runningbacks time to learn to execute the same plays with him (options reverses ect.)that is all I'm saying and I believe the coach let him and them run all the plays they were capable of handling at this time and I believe it will increase week by week. I also believe we have the best quarterback on the field. Just my thoughts

Bottom line: CG has to hit recruiting trail hard and OFTEN!! More creativity needed in game situations - we cannot line up and go straight at 'em. We need a runner who can break at least one long one a game. Running game KEY.

Originally posted by FAN OF BOBBY DODD:
Stateline I'm sure you understand that even the best quarterbacks who know the plays (system) have to practice them to be able to execute them properly and it also takes the runningbacks time to learn to execute the same plays with him (options reverses ect.)that is all I'm saying and I believe the coach let him and them run all the plays they were capable of handling at this time and I believe it will increase week by week. I also believe we have the best quarterback on the field. Just my thoughts
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Fan of Bobby Dodd: I agree with parts of what you said and I hope you are right on the rest. But I doubt that this offence will be anything but predictable. Whatever Chan Gailey decides to do from game to game it will not stray far from his very conservative approach. We could be in serious trouble.

Back