Chan should be front runner for COTY

BEESerk

Flats Noob
at this point.

I predicted 4 wins and anything else would be gravy. I would have to go search, but I am pretty sure I said that he will have done one heck of a coaching job if he does better than 4 wins.

I stand by that statement. It has been a roller coaster ride, but the oscillations appear to be dissapating. If we win the games we *should* win, then Gailey has done an incerdible job. Lose the next 4 games in a row and that all goes out the windoe (just being a realist here), but I don't believe there is any way that happens.

Gailey must sustain a constant performance level. No more roller coaster from here on out (with judgements tempered depending on opponent). I like his recruiting so i will expect more of the same next year. He is setting his own bar and I like that.

I predicted 4-8 as well...and am thrilled beyond belief that we should finish the reg. season at least 7-5...and if we pull an upset in one of the two games we should be heavy underdogs in...then 8-4.

I am pleased and shocked at the same time. I felt that there were just too many bodies missing to make this happen.

A lot of players across the country do not believe in their "system" or their coaches...and they are giving up. Our kids are fighting tooth and nail like every play is their last. Obviously there is something there that leads them to believe our program is headed in the right direction...and I am right there with them.

Maybe I'm making something out of nothing, but I have noticed something about Chan Gailey. Now...I loved George O'Leary but when he was interviewed, he would say something like 'Cox made a really nice play on the fumble'. When Chan was talking about the play where 4 guys touched it before Jonathan Cox picked it up, he said, "I kept thinking we had it about 4 times, then I saw JC coming". In one of the first interviews he gave after having spent time with the players last year, he called Jonathan Smith "Freddie"...knowing this was Jonathan's nickname.

I may be making much out of nothing, but it just seems that CG is more of a hands-on, get to know the players, type of coach than GOL was. And, I can tell you from personal experience, kids will play their hearts out for someone they admire, respect, and love.

Count me in on the standpoint of "CHAN IS DA MAN!"

posted by ibgw:

I may be making much out of nothing, but it just seems that CG is more of a hands-on, get to know the players, type of coach than GOL was. And, I can tell you from personal experience, kids will play their hearts out for someone they admire, respect, and love.

I'm with you on this. From this fan's perspective, it looks like the chemistry of this team just keeps getting better. It appears that these guys really do like each other, and that they would run through a brick wall for Chan and company.

Here's to hoping nothing squirrly sets in on the loooong break.

If he is COTY I just hope we have a better year next year than last year's COTY is having this year.

Originally posted by gt82ne:
If he is COTY I just hope we have a better year next year than last year's COTY is having this year.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">What you say!

confused.gif

I'm not saying that Chan is a better coach than Richt (or that Richt is better either), but Chan has clearly handled (more) personnel losses better than Richt has handled (less) personnel losses.

Chan not only endured more losses, but more crucial ones and was left with much less talented 2 or 3 deep.

I can't recall a time our players have brought up the losses. It's almost like they were forbidden to talk about it. They keep saying - i.e. - what's past is past and if we want to win we have to find a way to win.

I keep hearing UGA players and coaches alike talking about how things might have been without the losses or what it will be like when guys come back.

Tech players are being taught to think like men and think like winners - things that will benefit them well after football.

To clarify, I believe Tyrone Willingham won at least one national COTY award last year, ergo, if Chan gets it this year I hope we don't have a similar year that ND is having next year.

I predicted 4-8 as well...and am thrilled beyond belief that we should finish the reg. season at least 7-5...and if we pull an upset in one of the two games we should be heavy underdogs in...then 8-4.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">If we win the next two ballgames I don't know if we will be that heavy of an underdog against UVA.

If he gets us to 8-4 or better he should be COTY.

I think he is cleary the front runner for ACC COTY but I don't believe he will be (or should be) considered for national COTY unless we run the table. National COTY usually goes to a coach that wins a conference or is at least in a major bowl.

Have you noticed that Chan and O'Leary are both very emotional, but in very different ways? George was great at yelling at players after a mistake, or after a loss he was very surly. He never got really emotional after somethng positive such as a good play or a win. Of course, he would pat someone on the head for a good play on occassion, but I don't recall him singing the fight song, or being "giddy" in the locker room interview after the game. I am very high after a win and appreciate Chan being very excited and singing the song. I feel that George was so into the Woody Hayes macho thing that he considered positive excitement to be detrimental to the image. That was a shame.

Originally posted by Kennesawkid:
Have you noticed that Chan and O'Leary are both very emotional, but in very different ways? George was great at yelling at players after a mistake, or after a loss he was very surly. He never got really emotional after somethng positive such as a good play or a win. Of course, he would pat someone on the head for a good play on occassion, but I don't recall him singing the fight song, or being "giddy" in the locker room interview after the game. I am very high after a win and appreciate Chan being very excited and singing the song. I feel that George was so into the Woody Hayes macho thing that he considered positive excitement to be detrimental to the image. That was a shame.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I don't really like comparing coaching styles b/c they both can work. But I do like Chan's enthusiasm.

That's what I'm saying. I like the enthuiasm. I just wanted to tell George to loosen up and smell the roses once in a while. And though I was on a first name basis with him, I was afraid to say that to him.

In my mind Chan is a little bit of Bobby Ross and a little bit of Bobby Bowden..he is like Ross in the fact that they both are REAL HANDS on coaches that know HOW TO COACH on the practice field, coaching players up..He is like Bowden in the fact that he really is a NICE guy that players love him..He is so personable with his players and he has a deep Christian Faith that guides him in every decision he makes..

If we beat Duke, NC, and VA.. Gailey BETTER get COTY in the ACC.. but those 3 games represent alot of football.. we have to play hard and focus on each game..

I am betting that we are 8-3 going into Georgia.. and I am also betting that Georgia will be 8-3 as well..

Back