Changes In Academics

I don't see anything in the mission statement that would preclude my suggestion about Ga State. "Social science" is one of the great weasel words of the last 100 years.

Didn't Arthur Murray go to Tech? His dance lessons had a technical approach, with his little feet patterns for you to follow. Perhaps his company would endow a program of "Dance Science & Technology" (I believe he passed on a few years ago).

Seriously, I don't think it would hurt us to have a few more programs as long as we keep them science and technology related. As noted above, Stanford, Michigan, Notre Dame and others have are all top-rated and have strong athletics.

Since I started this topic a few days ago,
I have noticed several references that
Tech could become another Duke.

Although Duke will never, ever be known
for it's football prowess, their basketball
program is a "basketball factory."

And I have read or heard that Coach K has
allowed different majors and courses for
their almighty basketball program.

I would never want to see Tech add courses
like UGAG has for their atheletes, but I
honestly believe other courses and majors
could be made available for our SA's so
that "we" can be competitive in the "new"
A.C.C.

With our present situation it's like Coach
O'Leary said......."Tech wants to be MIT during
the week and FSU on Saturdays."

Its been stated before but it bears repeating, especially in this topic.

The city of Atlanta has been commercially developed by Tech graduates including in a big way Kim King and now John Dewberry. I do know that the COO at Dewberry Capital, Lara Hodgson, another ex Tech Athlete teaches a course at Tech on commercial real estate.
I asked her why Tech won't add a degree program in this field. Her answer was that the regents see no need because Ugag already has a program.

Talk about BS!

BEESerk, the mission statement in and of itself does not in any way put this debate to an end...as u can plainly see for yourself on this board. Based on your assertion, ALL of D-1 football should be immediately disbanded. Do you actually believe ND's,PSU's, or anybody else's states a mission for their football team? By the way, how would/does our FOOTBALL TEAM's mission statement read? Something like: "Guys, just go out there and do the best you can with those ankle weights on"!? Like it or not, the football tradition at GT is every bit as important to it's alumni and student body as any academic program you wish to choose. Like it or not, athletics is an integral part of "education". Ever notice how meaningful an elementary/middle school's soccer or basketball team is to the kids? As for the mission statement, take note of the reference to "practicality" and "fairness". It would be quite practical, as bellyseries states, to improve the team's chances, and I'll assure you there is nothing fair about the unlevel playing field we now face.

IMO, there is a wide gulf between the football factories 71 alludes to and what we could/should do at GT. The wonderful/rare/valuable skills and diversity that athletes bring to the GT table should be embraced, not shunned. THWG

Back