Changes in Strength and Conditioning....

Gold Rush

Flats Noob
Needs to happen ASAP IMO..
Right now, here in Jan is when Strength and Conditioning starts for next year.

If we want to see big changes in this area, I would think and hope that we'll be hearing something soon. If we continue on the present course, next year will be a disaster. I don't care how good the players are, if they don't have appropriate S&C, the talent won't go nearly as far.

The question is:
1. When might we hear something in this regard ?
2. WILL we hear anything under the current "covert" conditions we seem to be operating under ?

I agree with you completely!!I read a article somewhere (think it was in ajc) that CCG stated that it would be one of the main focus points this year.
drinking.gif
(maybe it was in Augusta Chronicle)

Unless they make a personnel change I wouldn't expect we would hear anything. I mean, what would they say? If we want to know if they are changing anything about the program somebody will need to ask IMO.

Maybe Coach Gailey thinks it's more important to recruit players he can win with than it is to think up press releases to satisfy Beeware and Father Wasp.

Well, I for one, hope the staff can actually do MORE than one thing at a time !
What I mean is, I hope that during recruiting "season" the staff is also interested in the existing team as well, and ensuring that the team is appropriately strong and conditioned for next year. Would this be so difficult during recruiting season - or should the staff shut down all operations that don't involve recruiting.

Is that what you are suggesting ?

Gold Rush, I share your frustration with the bunker mentality. The silence started with Gailey's hiring and as continued since.

This goes beyond "personal style". I believe they have a belief that there is no need to address the troops and the less the say you better.

I wouldn't count on hearing any news. You would think they would put out some pre-scripted quotes for damage control if nothing else. But then again what can they possibly say.

Above all else, this is January, but in light of the dramatic changes that need to happen you would think there would be a sense of urgency. The coaches convention is this week, so networking is at its highest point of the winter. I agree with your other point as well about the need for a new strength coach.

No, but I am suggesting it is more important to work on recruiting and strength and conditioning than it is to issue press releases about it. Reread my post.

I'm reallynot trying to be argumentative here.
An interesting discussion, and I see your point.

However, I DO believe that all of us who contribute our hard earned money to the program, are in fact analogous to stockholders, and yes, I do believe we kind of have a right to know whats going on. Not minute details, but something as obvious as S&C (given how most agree that thats how we lost several games this year) - then yes, I could imagine that the staff could take 15-20 minutes out of their day to let us know what, if any changes are occuring in S&C.

Just my opinion

Gold Rush, it is a good opinion too. I have posted a number of times that our FB program is run like a secret order or the gestapo. They spit in our face and then have the audacity to solicit money like a vagrant needing a drink to stop his shakes. They are an arrogant bunch of B******"s
that shuts us out and makes no apology for it. If enough of us wrote them back and told them that the money stops until the secrecy is lifted I can guarantee you that they would be open and forthcoming. I don't expect them to send me a list of their recruits along with a status report
on the recruits but we are in the midst of a full blown crisis in which we have just witnessed an all time low in infamy and Coach DULL and DA BRAINE wants to shut us out as if it's none of our
business. After 56 years of sacrificial support I am seriously considering telling them to go to hell.

In complete deference to my good friend posting buddies, CycleJacket, and ncjacket (my favorite pals along with belly and terriff, and ahso, and beeware) who I hold in highest esteem:
I was among the earliest that called for a greater emphasis on S&C. I received a good bit of ridicule and scorn for that as I recall; so be it. Post and haul up the barricades.
I still believe it to be a major difference between the winners and the "also rans." I am glad that others have climbed on board. I know the difference both from experience and observation.

I too am dismayed by the "left-out" feeling that many of us are having. If you go 12 and 0 nobody cares; but if you struggle (as we did this year) the masses need encouragement. The key to it is : proper communication. Else you have what we have presently on our hands (a group of doubters and malcontents (me included) ). It may be a small group in number that expresses doubt; but look at the facts of TV and radio rating and measure the number of those that are represented by those that express joy or dismay. Like I say, I don't give a flip if you dress in skirts as long as you win, but when you don't win, you have to go a step further and let your constituency (sp) know what is going on. That measures are being taken, etc........Okay, the inevitable: ONE MAN'S OPINION. Sorry for any offensive measures taken......Just one of those days for me....sorry, cannot explain.

Big Buck, I agree with you. That being said watch out - anytime I or others post a questioning opinion or statement we are blasted as being somehow less than worthy than those who are content to go to the back of the conference bus and get embarassed 51-7 and lose to the second string of a third tier WAC team and generally just revisit those dark years when we didn't put up a competitive effort. Keep up the heartfelt posts!

Personally I think the whole stock holder analogy is complete BS. But that is just me. I do understnad why you feel like you have a "right" though. Many people give a lot more than me, and people get sensitive when it is "their" money being used.

Personally, I am not looking for any positive "returns" on my investment. That doesn't mean I don't expect and want excellence... but I give to MaTech simply because of what MeTech means to me and what it has done for me.

I give to MaTech because I can, not because I expect something in return. That goes for Roll Call and AT. I believe in my school first and foremost, not in the people who happen to be in charge at any given time. That is why I give.

Good going Beeserk, my emotions may not always show it but I do agree with you whole heartedly.
Lately, sometimes I don't know if I am coming or going. I left "both" board for a week and still I come back and show my a_ _! My apologies. Hey,if all our energies were to be 100% positive toward Tech's good, a lot more could be accomplished in a shorter amount of time. Yes, I know, I speak with "forked tongue" in the minds of many. Sometimes I think I ought to just take an 11 month vacation.

Originally posted by techsamillion:
Good going Beeserk, my emotions may not always show it but I do agree with you whole heartedly.
Lately, sometimes I don't know if I am coming or going. I left "both" board for a week and still I come back and show my a_ _! My apologies. Hey,if all our energies were to be 100% positive toward Tech's good, a lot more could be accomplished in a shorter amount of time. Yes, I know, I speak with "forked tongue" in the minds of many. Sometimes I think I ought to just take an 11 month vacation.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Techsamillion, whatever is bothering you, just remember: "This, too, shall pass." Meanwhile, post whatever crazy damn thing you want to. We seem to be a bit more than just a sports board here.

Okay, I'm confused. All I was trying to say is that nobody is going to put out a press release that says "we aren't doing anything with our S&C program". Likewise I would be shocked to see any school put out a story that "we are changing our emphasis in our S&C program". Maybe it's just me, but I've never seen any mention of that from a school unless there is a personnel change or unless a writer or somebody specifically asks. I never said we shouldn't know or that it isn't important. Just that if you want to know somebody needs to ask. Sorry if I upset anybody.

ncjacket, many of us are up tight right now. If we were coming off a 12-1 or 11-2 season we wouldn't be hearing so much wailing and hell raising but we have just travelled a very pathetic journey that none of us want to travel again and this is not the time to stonewall. They should say something, anything but sit in their ivory tower and ignore us. Can you imagine what
our crowds are going to look like? Oh the Auburn game will be sold out all right, with about 60%
Tiger fans. But for the most part the new seats will not be used by Tech people. Our program is in a downward spiral and tickets will become harder to sell with the Chan Brand that we saw this year.

It just seems bizarre that we have never really heard much from S & C and all of a sudden we expect them to issue press releases in response to a bunch of fans bitching and moaning on an internt message board. I think the proper way for them to communicate about it would be for the Strength and Conditioning Coach to be a guest at the Lunch Bunch group.

It would give him a chance to share his philosophy and even talk about some of the specifics of what they do. In addition, it would give Hivers and Stingtalkers a chance to ask questions. I am sure he knows the many fans felt like we looked weak in the trenches. On the DL we were undersized but there should have been no excuse on the OL.

D'right Cycle...One our greatest needs in my Uninformed opinon is for commumincation that results in HOPE. Whatever it takes. Find ways to instill it. I could offer suggestions, but I am an amateur. I just hope the professionals feel some motivation to pass along to the rest of us some hope and things to get excited about. I keep getting this strange feeling that the less those of us are promised/informed, the less we will look for: experience expectation=wise and the less disssapointed we will be. That may be okay at times and in certain situations, but I see a Tech support group that is ready to get charged up and ready to hear information that will lend itself to same...........Sorry, just one man's opinion.

Techsamillion I know where your heart is at my man. How frustrating to open up the AJC every morning in hope of any tidbit of hopeful info - coaching, recruiting, etc. Alas, it is not to be.

Oh well. Our baseball team is no. 1 in the nation again (hope that doesn't jinx them) - and they kicked Georgia's ass 7 times last year. Now THAT is good news!

Back