Changing Gears

eneq

Junior Varsity Lurker
Well, GT reaps what it sows. When you spend years not admitting Georgia students, many of whom with loyalty to GT, yet bring in students from out of state or country, you not only lose future GT families in Georgia but you alienate many current GT families. But this has been discussed before. GT reaps what it sows. I know many GT families in this state who have great kids with the GPA and SAT but get passed over. Needless to say the money, loyalty, and attendance go elsewhere. It’s so sad to see.
I agree with the bold statement above. KSU has the same problem. Most of the students are raised fans of other schools, so they'd much rather tailgate and then go home and watch their childhood team on TV. Also contributing is the frequent noon kickoffs. Unless you're gung-ho about Tech, going to a noon game is not appealing at all. I don't know how some of the schools in the central time zone do it.

Like others have said, the first two games were hot and against un-exciting opponents. Sanford wasn't full on Saturday either.

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
the fanbase is small as the alumni are stretched far and wide and small to begin with. The school has little to no regional appeal currently. If that can be changed attendance will be better.
Enhanced our regional appeal Saturday.

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
Well, GT reaps what it sows. When you spend years not admitting Georgia students, many of whom with loyalty to GT, yet bring in students from out of state or country, you not only lose future GT families in Georgia but you alienate many current GT families. But this has been discussed before. GT reaps what it sows. I know many GT families in this state who have great kids with the GPA and SAT but get passed over. Needless to say the money, loyalty, and attendance go elsewhere. It’s so sad to see.
Alabama (and others) recognized that the success of the football program generated a bumper crop of tuition paying students--many paying out-of-state rates. They made the football factory part of their overall business model for the (sic) university.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
.... Unless you're gung-ho about Tech, going to a noon game is not appealing at all. I don't know how some of the schools in the central time zone do it.

Like others have said, the first two games were hot and against un-exciting opponents. Sanford wasn't full on Saturday either.
Auburn's game this past weekend against Kent State started at 6:00 pm; by game time most fans were out of the sun and mid-day heat was subsiding.

Alabama (and others) recognized that the success of the football program generated a bumper crop of tuition paying students--many paying out-of-state rates. They made the football factory part of their overall business model for the (sic) university.
Alabama & Auburn also have great merit based scholarships for kids from out of state. A big difference between them and GT in admissions is they don't crap on the in state students and legacy applicants who have good test scores like GT does. GT admissions appears to be based on grades, scores, and other; where other apparently does not give much weight to being a legacy applicant.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
Let me say, I’m an out of towner so I get to a few games a year with my wife and two kids. While at the game Saturday, I caught up with some frat bros. Between the 5 of us diehard GT fans we have approximately 12 children that were raised diehard GT fans. Of those in college, not one is at GT. Not because they aren’t great kids with the grades and scores but because most live in Cobb. My kids are still in high school and I’m in South Georgia so I know my kids have a better shot getting in than those in the more dense counties. But if they don’t get in that will be the end of yet another GT family, all so the tax payers of Georgia can educate someone who never paid taxes in Georgia. The reason our attendance sucks is no mystery and it will only get worse.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
I have never understood why no one in the leadership at Tech cares about athletics. The exclusive focus appears to be rankings and prestige for the faculty. If that requires focusing on foreign students and throwing legacy and in state students under the bus, so be it. I do not think any other P5 school has this attitude.
I thought Peterson might change that because he was a college athlete. Unfortunately I was wrong.
I have read two detailed write ups on the new president. He never mentioned athletics once. I suppose things will not change.