Clock and game management

I agree. The coaches and the very conservative play calling didn't put him in a position to succeed. When he played, he gave me the impression that he's a winner and the team will follow him. King has been really good but I don't think it will be a huge drop off if we have to go with pyron.

Now if for some reason he can't throw anymore, he should be playing fullback instead of qb2. We need a big back for short yardage, which we have basically been using him for anyways, so just make it permanent. At least that way they wouldn't know what play was coming every time he comes in the game
Negative. That will never happen. He’s an Qb and he can still throw. He didn’t just wake up one day and forget everything about throwing a football afrer being an elite 11 finalist, working with Weinke for 3 years, and all the many hours he’s put in on his own working with a Qb coach. He gets every rep in practice that Haynes gets and the benefit the coaches have with Zach and Haynes is the playbook doesn’t have to change.

That is true but at that stage of the game the 10 second runoff didn’t bother me with how the pace of the game was going
The 10 second runoff decision was wrong no matter how the game was going, but the failure to call timeout on 2nd and goal with ~1:30 left was worse. There was more than enough time for UNC’s drive to finish. They were in no danger of the clock running out or even affecting their play calls (plus UNC had timeouts if they needed them). Needed to save that time for the offense. I’m not super bright but I can’t think of a single reason to let the clock run in that situation.

The 10 second runoff decision was wrong no matter how the game was going, but the failure to call timeout on 2nd and goal with ~1:30 left was worse. There was more than enough time for UNC’s drive to finish. They were in no danger of the clock running out or even affecting their play calls (plus UNC had timeouts if they needed them). Needed to save that time for the offense. I’m not super bright but I can’t think of a single reason to let the clock run in that situation.
even a stopped clock amirite

Negative. That will never happen. He’s an Qb and he can still throw. He didn’t just wake up one day and forget everything about throwing a football afrer being an elite 11 finalist, working with Weinke for 3 years, and all the many hours he’s put in on his own working with a Qb coach. He gets every rep in practice that Haynes gets and the benefit the coaches have with Zach and Haynes is the playbook doesn’t have to change.

Just to be clear, I wasn't saying that he couldn't throw and I wanted him moved. I have a lot of confidence in Zach and am not overly concerned if King has to miss some time. The point I was trying to make is that if the coaches only call the same 2-3 plays everytime he's in the game then he is set to to fail and they are wasting his talent. I'm sure they will open it up if he plays the whole game but I wish they would have gave him more options yesterday to run some plays and not give unc the ball back

Giving up a 4th & 6 conversion midway through 4th qtr was more frustrating than anything else. Get the stop and offense has a short field and a good chance to ice the game. Instead Criswell scrambles for the 1st down, then a TD drive. We had real trouble containing and tackling Criswell.

Giving up a 4th & 6 conversion midway through 4th qtr was more frustrating than anything else. Get the stop and offense has a short field and a good chance to ice the game. Instead Criswell scrambles for the 1st down, then a TD drive. We had real trouble containing and tackling Criswell.
Yeah, it seemed like most of the damage came when we lost contain on the QB. He hit some big runs and a couple of big downfield passes while running free outside the pocket.

JRjr

Agreed. Been harping on this back to last season - Key is a flat out poor game manager. He’s inefficient with timout usage and tries to get wayyy to cute with decisions.

Earlier this year he went back and forth twice with the ref on whether to accept a penalty or not - literally changing his mind after the ref had already started announcing the decision. Think that was FSU?

Declined the 15 yard chop block penalty against Cuse on their final possession when we needed a stop. They picked up the 1st on the next play.

Constantly wasting timeouts to save 5 yards early in games. Not understanding when to effectively use timeouts to maximize clock. Almost cost us the Duke game.

But perhaps the most glaring one I can remember is the Miami game last year. We score with 1 second left to put us up 3. An extra point removes the possibility for a FG to tie it. If they block it and return it then we’re still up 1. So 95% chance we go up 4 with an XP. 4% chance we miss and still up 3. <1% chance they return it and we’re up 1.

We end up lining up for 2 and taking a knee. The problem here is if we doing something dumb like grab a facemask on their lateral-heavy-return then they’re gonna get an untimed down to attempt a FG to tie. The decision to not simply kick the XP actively decreases our chances of winning the game. Small chance of making a difference, and it ultimately didn’t, but that’s the kind of weird attempts at being clever that he seems to constantly do.

We gonna kick ND's ass.

We should be undefeated right now. Let that sink in.
otoh--we were within 10 seconds of going to OT with our #2 QB vs a team we had beaten basically like a drum stat-wise .Let that sink-in. It was closer than I like for sure..

otoh--we were within 10 seconds of going to OT with our #2 QB vs a team we had beaten basically like a drum stat-wise .Let that sink-in. It was closer than I like for sure..
Still won with the #2 QB to a team who out recruits us and allows barely literate SA's into the school.

Agreed. Been harping on this back to last season - Key is a flat out poor game manager. He’s inefficient with timout usage and tries to get wayyy to cute with decisions.

Earlier this year he went back and forth twice with the ref on whether to accept a penalty or not - literally changing his mind after the ref had already started announcing the decision. Think that was FSU?

Declined the 15 yard chop block penalty against Cuse on their final possession when we needed a stop. They picked up the 1st on the next play.

Constantly wasting timeouts to save 5 yards early in games. Not understanding when to effectively use timeouts to maximize clock. Almost cost us the Duke game.

But perhaps the most glaring one I can remember is the Miami game last year. We score with 1 second left to put us up 3. An extra point removes the possibility for a FG to tie it. If they block it and return it then we’re still up 1. So 95% chance we go up 4 with an XP. 4% chance we miss and still up 3. <1% chance they return it and we’re up 1.

We end up lining up for 2 and taking a knee. The problem here is if we doing something dumb like grab a facemask on their lateral-heavy-return then they’re gonna get an untimed down to attempt a FG to tie. The decision to not simply kick the XP actively decreases our chances of winning the game. Small chance of making a difference, and it ultimately didn’t, but that’s the kind of weird attempts at being clever that he seems to constantly do.
I will agree analytics should play a bigger part in time management than it curretly does. You are beginning to see decisions for 4th down in the NFL be ruled by analytics but I think it can expand into time management on taking time outs, accepting or declining penalties, even whether to run the ball or pass late in the game. The decision of which option to take will be based on more assumptions than whether to go for it on 4th down or not, but I as a coach would listen to what the stat guy had to say. The seat of the pants idea is never a good business decision.

Defensive game plan sucked and they were playing a step slow. Like they were tired or sleep deprived. CBK didn't even seem his normal self. Mid season slump? Looking ahead? Hope they get the wind back in their sails this week. The win on the road was excellent though regardless. Let's Go Jackets! One game at a time. One quarter at a time.

Idk but this 3 man rush öööö has got to go
Amen. We put pressure on the QB until we went to a three man front which allowed them to march down the field for their go ahead TD. I don’t ever want to see that again. Also Special Teams almost single handed lost that game for us.

Amen. We put pressure on the QB until we went to a three man front which allowed them to march down the field for their go ahead TD. I don’t ever want to see that again. Also Special Teams almost single handed lost that game for us.
At the very least we need a qb spy if we send only 3.

Defensive game plan sucked and they were playing a step slow. Like they were tired or sleep deprived. CBK didn't even seem his normal self. Mid season slump? Looking ahead? Hope they get the wind back in their sails this week. The win on the road was excellent though regardless. Let's Go Jackets! One game at a time. One quarter at a time.
Lane Kiffin in the Sun Bowl vibes?

Back