Coach G has a real decent recruiting class starting

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe Coach & the Staff has caught onto this recruiting thing. Much better early effort than anything they've done yet. A solid group so far that will get us back to the top half of the ACC(4th or better). Solid young players. With the addition of the 2 MB players to make this yr's entering class MUCH better, our staff has had a very productive summer. I'm pleased. Let's take a look at the verbals;
1) OL Jacob Lonowski is an unknown, but nobody recruits Nebraska, as there isn't enough players to go there. From a state known for producing huge, very good & pro material Linemen. LONOWSKI'S BIO
2) LB Justin Guadagni was 2nd string All-Pennsylvania after his Jr yr. His coach gives a gushing report much more than necessary. Big10 teams Purdue & Indiana had already given a written offer figuring he could play Big10 football. Justin chose between GT & Purdue, which recently went to a Rose Bowl & is resurgent under Tiller, who appears to have an excellent eye for talent. Nice p/u for Tech to get him out of Big10 territory. GOOD ARTICLE ON GUADAGNI
3) OLB Gary Guyton is just what GT needs, a LB with speed. Already offered by South Carolina, Louisville, Vanderbilt & Duke(Ya know how Roof can recruit LBs)(2 SEC, 2 ACC, 1 CUSA). His stock will soar during his Sr season. Fast enough for S, but no experience there. Type player every program needs. GOOD ARTICLE ON GUYTON
4) S Eric Williams is an excellent player to come in behind Avery Roberson. Top50 in Ga, already offered by Maryland & was looking at the top ACC/SEC teams. Top50 in Ga & already qualified will get u offers from every school known to man. GOOD ARTICLE ON WILLIAMS
5) FB Mike Cox is off the scale on strength. Unbelievable legs that could play DT. Already offered by Boston College & Temple. Wants to run the ball as well as block. Can't keep that strength off the field as he could be a monster to tackle. GOOD ARTICLE ON COX

There is NO DOUBT this is a positive sign. We need BODIES and lots of them.

People like to talk about "not heavily recruited" crap, but I remember Harpring being given a "token" scholarship b/c he played w/ the coaches son. I wonder how that turned out?

Wonder what Harpring is doing NOW?

4 of these 5 players have been fairly heavily recruited so far. That's a fine list of teams already with offers on the table. With this many 'name' schools already offering our verbals, the recruiting pressure & offers will only increase during their Sr yr.
Hoping Tech can hang onto all 5, but it's a long way to go. The staff did good hanging onto the early verbals last yr.

PS: u can't make a living off 'not heavily recruited' players. U'll get real good ones from time to time, but most will turn out average & u'll get a continuos run of 5th to 7th place teams with only minor Bowls, at best.

Originally posted by law_bee:
There is NO DOUBT this is a positive sign. We need BODIES and lots of them.

People like to talk about "not heavily recruited" crap, but I remember Harpring being given a "token" scholarship b/c he played w/ the coaches son. I wonder how that turned out?

Wonder what Harpring is doing NOW?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">.
Brooking is another example...wish we had 25 just like him.
BOO

Yeah, but guys, u gotta have more than 1 or 2 per team to come from nowhere. Harpring only made the Big Dance once, his Fr yr, & he got better each yr.
Ya gotta recruit good players to start with to have a better chance of having a good TEAM.
Coach G & staff have made their best move this Summer, perhaps out of desperation, to shore up some decimating times for the football team. Now we must also hang onto these guys til Feb.
Taking Woods from Mays HS will help our city recruiting & Johnson from south Fla will help us look good down there. Just pointing out that these are very good p/u this Summer & will help with the recruiting this Fall & Winter.

Ace nailed it in the PS.If all you get is "sleepers" your program willl probably be sleeping(with the fishes)as it will be dead..Hard to not know about players with the communications ability/ outlets these days.
Ironically CG has unfortunately worked himself into a situation where he can promise immediate playing time consideration which helps in recruiting so he should get a start just on that..
THE key will be if he gets SEVERAL top OFF Linemen since we are heading for "tag" fball status based on his first 2 classes.

I don't think Bradley is a UGA homer, they get mad at him as often as we do (at least they used to). His main objective seems to be to stir things up. He loves Ritch and Hewitt and he couldn't stand O'Leary or Harrick. He is somewhat of an SEC homer though.

Originally posted by goldmember:
I don't think Bradley is a UGA homer, they get mad at him as often as we do (at least they used to). His main objective seems to be to stir things up. He loves Ritch and Hewitt and he couldn't stand O'Leary or Harrick. He is somewhat of an SEC homer though.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Sorry, this is obviously posted in the wrong thread. I guess that is what I get for posting and drinking at the same time.

Back