Coach Gailey is HIGHLY thought of in Texas

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
Here is an excellent article from the Dallas Morning News. It was published Feb 7, 02 & talks about how how Gailey got 3 top 100 recruits out of Texas. It quotes all 3 players on their reason for going to Ga Tech & their thoughts on Chan. A recruit signing article in Dallas that features Ga Tech is amazing. I have never seen this article & thought it interesting. Hope u do too.

DallasNews.com.
good article By Todd Wills of the Dallas Morning news.
Page at:
www.dallasnews.com/sports...b5219.html
======================================================================

Gailey gets top-100 nuggets 02/07/02
54 players on area top 100 list leave Texas; Georgia Tech coach nabs three of them
Chan Gailey gathered various coaching nuggets during his two-year head coaching stint with the Cowboys. One thing he didn't need Dallas for: figuring out Texas is a recruiting hotbed.
Like others before him, Gailey will use his intimate knowledge of the state as Georgia Tech's new football coach. He isn't shy about saying he hopes his name recognition here will give him an advantage on the Texas recruiting trail.
"I'd like to make it a little more than a sporadic thing and keep it going for a while," said Gailey, who said he attended three or four high school games while in Dallas. "Look at all the TV shows on high school football there. It's everywhere". Out-of-state schools have long tried to establish recruiting niches in Texas. Georgia Tech, West Virginia, Wyoming and Arizona were a few surprise winners Wednesday.
In all, 54 players off The News' top 100 area recruiting list are headed out of state.
Three locals are in Gailey's first class: wide receivers Xavier McGuire of Carter and LeKeldrick Bridges of Hillcrest and Lewisville running back Michael Sampson.
All three said their familiarity with Gailey was a factor in choosing Georgia Tech. Sampson, who was Gailey's first commitment, picked Georgia Tech over Kansas State.
"I like the fact that he's there because he's a good coach, and he's also been in the NFL," said Sampson, No. 30 on The News' top 100 area recruiting list. "It's my dream to be in the NFL one day, and he knows what it takes to get there. He can make me better."
West Virginia also took advantage of its Texas connection -- former Allen coach Todd Graham, now a Mountaineer assistant. He helped the Mountaineers score a major coup in the Dallas area by persuading Ennis wide receiver Broderic Jones to switch from Texas Tech to West Virginia.
Jones, No. 13 on the top 100 area list, was the highest ranked player not to choose a highly visible program such as Oklahoma, USC and Notre Dame, who took four of the top 10 players in the area.West Virginia also signed Mesquite defensive back Krys Williams and Allen wide receiver J.T. Perry.
"I couldn't do it without knowing the coaches and the area," said Graham, who graduated from North Mesquite.
Wyoming coach Vic Koenning, an Oklahoma native, signed five Texas players, including three from the Dallas area -- Euless Trinity cornerback Charles Oliver, Fort Worth Paschal tight end Jason Schneider and Wilmer-Hutchins quarterback Jarreau Grant."Recruits understand my accent," Koenning said.
Former Texas coach John Mackovic, now at Arizona, raided Texas for 11 national letters of intent, including five in the state top 100.
McGuire and Bridges each said they were won over by Gailey. They were impressed by his immediate attention to Georgia Tech. Gailey came and met both of them during their visit in Atlanta, even though the Dolphins had a playoff game two days later against Baltimore.
"I was a Cowboys fan and knew the offense he [Gailey] ran," said McGuire, No. 53 in the area. "That was a key ingredient."
"He was also very personable," said Bridges, No. 39 in the area.
For that, Gailey will be back.

good point, but that article was on FEB 7, 02. that was before those kids got to actually watch him "coach" at tech. that was before 51-7.

The date on the interview and the fact that the Cowboys Owner/Idiot Jerry Jones can make just about anyone look good. Just my thoughts.

Originally posted by statelinejacket:
The date on the interview and the fact that the Cowboys Owner/Idiot Jerry Jones can make just about anyone look good. Just my thoughts.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Having Aikman, Smith, and Irvin doesn't hurt, either.

I wish he was as a highly thought
of in Georgia. It sounds like he might be a better fit for Texas Tech than Georgia Tech.

Go Jackets!

Maybe Georgia State's intramural team needs a coach but I doubt Troy Aikman's recommendation is on Chan Gailey's resume.

Gailey did a great job with the Cowboys, coaxing two more playoff years out of an aging, dying team. Jerry Jones counts firing Chan as his biggest mistake. Get off Chan's back for a year and let him do his job.

Doesn't anyone see the terrific pub Ga Tech got in Dallas & the state of Texas. U can't buy that kind of publicity anywhere. We'll probably get a little more this yr if we sign Pena & Parker, et al.
This is a big toehold in a major recruiting market. It can't hurt GT in any way possible & could greatly help our efforts for yrs to come. O'L always wanted into the Texas scene.

Originally posted by Dr. WhiteJacket:
Gailey did a great job with the Cowboys, coaxing two more playoff years out of an aging, dying team. Jerry Jones counts firing Chan as his biggest mistake. Get off Chan's back for a year and let him do his job.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You should post more, Dr.

Get off Chan's back for a year and let him do his job
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That's the problem - its ALWAYS next year. So tell, what is different next year?

uhhh..... NEXT year won't be FIRST year?

or........did I miss something? :&gt;)

Wonder if Davetech and Davethedawg are one in the same.......

Go Jackets!
drinking.gif

And cropdusterengineer the difference will be?? and maybe cropdusterengineer is Davethedawg

Back