Coach O'Brien deserves an apology

beeware

Jolly Good Fellow
Coach O\'Brien deserves an apology

In the year 2000, Ralph Friedgen's offense averaged 34 points per game. There was basically no criticism of the offense.

In the year 2001, Bill O'Brien took over the offense and averaged 32 points per game. A fair amount of criticism about the "dropoff" from Fridge to O'Brien.

In the year 2002, Coach Gailey comes in and Bill O'Brien's offense dropped all the way down to 22 points per game. Some of us blamed Coach Gailey for the offensive decline since Coach O'Brien had averaged 32 points without Gailey. The FOCers said it was O'Brien's fault and not Gailey's. They also said O'Brien should be gone and that with O'Brien gone we would get to see Gailey's "superior" offense in 2003.

In 2003, sure enough O'Brien is gone, and we have totally Gailey's offense which is averaging 16 points per game. It is now clear that Coach Gailey is completely responsible for our tremendous decline in offensive production. If Coach O'Brien was still here there would be total helle being raised by the FOCers. But since it is Chan himself who has run our offense into the ground, not one word of criticism from the same fonts that criticized O'Brien for dropping from Fridge's 34 points down to 32 points in 2001 and also criticized O'Brien (incorrectly) for Chan's offensive folly of 2002.

In less than two seasons, Chan Gailey has ran our big time offense under Fridge and O'Brien into the ground. It is hypocritical for the FOCers to remain silent about it.
pat.gif

Re: Coach O\'Brien deserves an apology

"It is hypocritical for the FOCers to remain silent about it."

Why? One loudmouth like is enough.

beeware,
good job posting something positive on gameday, you must be a joy to be around.

Just stirring the pot, and eagerly waiting for the reaction.
At least BW doesn't like to play with matches.... hope not anyway.

Fine Catfish.

All I need you to do is pull a few statistics.

#1 2002 average points scored in games with Hollings
#2 2002 average points scored in games without Hollings

Lets start this analysis by comparing #2 to the 2003 results.

Beeware needs a fresh Huggie.
fart.gif

Fair enough, let's compare.

In 2000, Friegden averaged 34 points per game. He developed Godsey into a good quarterback and Friegden's offense had a 9-2 record. He did not coach the bowl game and O'Brien lost it with his offense 14-28.

In 2001, Tech was rated one of the top ten teams in the nation with the best talent returning in years. Even though the offense scored 32 points per game, it was shown by another poster, a lot of those points were scored against The Citadel and Navy.

The offense was a yard and a cloud of dust with Burns, and the offense was ridiculed all year because it was not imaginative. The O'Brien led offense won 8 and lost five games with one of the best teams talentwise at Tech in years. Kelly, Godsey, and Burns were all high profile offensive players.

So, the 2001 team was really a flop in O'Brien's first year as OC.

In 2002, O,Brien's offensive production dropped to 22 points per game. He proved he could not develop quarterbacks.

In 2003, O'Brien's offense dropped to zero points per game.

So, now the offense is down to 16 points per game, which could possibly be higher than O'Brien's figures if he were here. Since O'Brien's offense dropped 10 points from 2001 to 2002, the possibility remains his offense might have fallen 10 more points to 12 points per game this year having to depend on the present running backs and no starting experienced quarterback returning.

He, at least had Tony for four games and some good substitutes at running back for much of the year 2002 before they were all injured. This year, he would have been saddled with a less than stellar group of runners.

So, your theory holds no water, other than to show O'Brien's production dropped ten points from 2001 to 2002.

Father Time

You know this constant comparison of average points by Beeware is really boring. Those stats don't mean squat. The only real stat is W's. After 8 games Tech was 5-3 with O'Brien (2002) and 5-3 this year without O'Brien. In fact, since 1993, Tech at best was only 6-2 after 8 games.

INMHO, O'Brien should appologize to Tech fans for his inability to develop players and prepare offensive game plans (LSU, Maryland, Clemson, Wake Forest, and Georgia to name a few). In fact, I hold him as much responsible for the Georgia fiasco as I do Gailey.

This program is screaming out for a good OC!!
pat.gif

why respond to this person anymore?

How about this:

2001 = Godsey, a senior who learned from friedgen
2002 = AJ, who never got coached up by TN or O'brien
2003 = Ball, a freshman

Might O'leary and O'Brien went 7 and 5 together in 2001...hopefully we'll be 7-3 after next week. What else do you want?

Oh yeah, two of the wins from 2001? Citadel and Navy. We put up 70 points on Navy. Wonder if that padded our average at all. ;-) Navy was 0-10 and lost to Temple, Rutgers, Toledo, and Rutgers. And the Citadel is a I-AA school.

If you take out the beat downs handed out to a 0-10 and I-AA school, the 2001 average is 27 points/game.

beeware,

Why don't you carry your sorry ass somewhere else pal! I along with a lot others get tired of hearing your negative remarks concerning GT football and our coaches.

If you have something positive to say, then state it and be done with it. Problem is you have nothing of that nature to state.

Go hump you a hydrant with your other dawgie fans!!

YELLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Poor Catfish, just can't help himself! Yes BOB is due an I'm sorry. So Catfish immediately take paper and pen in hand and write the following: Mr. BOB, I'm sorry that I was ever born. I am not now nor have I ever been a Tech fan but I am your fan. But, again I'm sorry I was ever born.

Signed Bee Catfish Ware

I'll piss both sides off - neither one is worth a crap as a coordinator.

O'Brien basically fell apart the longer Friedgen was gone. Worse, he was disloyal and chose to go to Notre Dame and then dumb enough to lament about it publicly. They should have fired his ass on the spot.

As for Gailey. I watched the pure vanilla, boring, crap he threw at Duke on Sat. It probably took Roof about 10 minutes of prep time to show the 3 formations and 4 plays we run.

You put a team out there with a poor plan, unmotivated and with less speed than even Duke you get what you got yesterday.

Neither O'Brien or Gailey either has proven they can consistently put points on the board and avoid these horrible displays - Georgia, Fresno, Clemson, now Duke.

Originally posted by Father WASP:
I'll piss both sides off - neither one is worth a crap as a coordinator.

O'Brien basically fell apart the longer Friedgen was gone. Worse, he was disloyal and chose to go to Notre Dame and then dumb enough to lament about it publicly. They should have fired his ass on the spot.

As for Gailey. I watched the pure vanilla, boring, crap he threw at Duke on Sat. It probably took Roof about 10 minutes of prep time to show the 3 formations and 4 plays we run.

You put a team out there with a poor plan, unmotivated and with less speed than even Duke you get what you got yesterday.

Neither O'Brien or Gailey either has proven they can consistently put points on the board and avoid these horrible displays - Georgia, Fresno, Clemson, now Duke.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Father Wasp: You are correct! But the largest group by far is the Chandler Gailey group and they can't stand anyone telling them how wrong they are. I spent a little time on this board this week telling them that the defense had saved the offense and special teams butts this year. In the couple of games that Coach Tenuta's defense did fail to come through with a A PLUS game(Clemson & Duke).....all I can say is that the warts on the offense(Chan Gailey' offense)and the special teams that have been hidden are suddenly there for all to see as long as you take off the gold colored shades.

why respond to this person anymore???

I don't get it! When we had an offense that constantly saved the defense, that was just exciting Tech football.

Now that the other shoe is on, everyone is up in arms about it. I have seen the stats, and they don't tell the true story.

There is absolutely nothing wrong having a defense oriented team. See Nebraska over the years, and Ok's last championship team.

Its true that defense yesterday was pitiful, but if the O doesn't turn it over 4 times, we win an ugly one.

Back