Coaching changes continue

jacketguy

Damn Good Rat
Tommy Raye gone.....

web page

Gailey said Thursday he is "getting real close" on hiring a replacement for O'Brien.

From Football Scoop...

Rumor has it GT is considering Rob Spence (OC/QB of Toledo) and Chris Petersen (OC/QB of Boise State) for the OC/QB job recently vacated by Bill O'Brien, who moved on to Maryland as QB coach.

Originally posted by jacketguy:
Tommy Raye gone.....

web page

Gailey said Thursday he is "getting real close" on hiring a replacement for O'Brien.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Interesting article, thanks Jacketguy.

Also noted the comment by Gailey on being close on a replacement for BOB. Wonder how many canidates were considered; i.e. was it a wide open race or a one to two horse race all along.

Doubt we will know, those not selected don't want to be known....

From Football Scoop...

Rumor has it GT is considering Rob Spence (OC/QB of Toledo) and Chris Petersen (OC/QB of Boise State) for the OC/QB job recently vacated by Bill O'Brien, who moved on to Maryland as QB coach.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thanks again! Whats the scoop on these two,not exactly football powerhouses.

I always felt like Raye's military experience was overrated and superfulous to special teams, as was the overemphasis on extra conditioning for the snappers, holders, kickers and punters. Sure they need to be in shape but there were other things that needed to be better emphasized, like punt returns, punt return coverage, same for kickoffs, and some other areas. Frankly, Ruben Houston cost us dearly w/ a couple of brain farts in return situations;mental discipline and situational awareness are far more important in a game day situation. Maybe we need to require drownproofing for players 'like in the old days', only athletes did not have to take PT,did they?

Selah!

drinking.gif
drinking.gif

George O'leary could have coached our special teams from a phone booth in Minnesota, better than Tommy (how many push-ups have you done today) Raye.

The sad thing is not only do we not have the Fridge, but he continues to add excellent coaches (now adding Coach O'Brien) to his already excellent staff at Maryland. What a staff he has put together.

Not only has he already done a magnificent job at Maryland (21 wins in two years with less talent than TECH), but as he continues to upgrade the talent there, both with players and coaches, the sky is going to be the limit.

"All a friend can say is ain't it a shame".
--Jerry Garcia

Shouldnt that post have been on the Terp board??

I cant argue with you about Raye and the ST last year... and GOL probably could have done a better job from the phone booth... I didnt think the Raye hire was a good hire anyway...

I am glad Bob is gone tho...

Yep, BeeWare, I agree, Friegden was the key to GT's success. It is a fact that GOL's record without the Fridge was 16-17, 0-4 against UGA, and no bowls. With the Fridge GOL's record was 34-13, 3-1 against UGA, and three bowls. Ralph was really reponsible for getting us into the Peach Bowl, even though he did not participate in it.

The same goes for BOB. All of his achievements were due to the Fridge's presence at Tech. BOB has not done well in the won-loss column since the Fridge left. I think you stated the Fridge's importance pretty well. Thanks for reminding us.

grin.gif

originally posted by beeware
I always enjoy your humorous and whimsical posts. Thanks.

Just for the record, giving Friedgen 100% credit and O'leary 0% credit for TECH's success is rather silly and actually downright petty on your part....I know for a fact that the Fridge shares my view on this.

Also, as for the caliber of coach that O'Brien is, I think I will also take the Fridge's word (and quick hiring) on that too....if you don't mind.

Anyway, keep up the fantasy; I, for one, certainly enjoy it.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">and
George O'leary could have coached our special teams from a phone booth in Minnesota, better than Tommy (how many push-ups have you done today) Raye.

The sad thing is not only do we not have the Fridge, but he continues to add excellent coaches (now adding Coach O'Brien) to his already excellent staff at Maryland. What a staff he has put together.

Not only has he already done a magnificent job at Maryland (21 wins in two years with less talent than TECH), but as he continues to upgrade the talent there, both with players and coaches, the sky is going to be the limit.

"All a friend can say is ain't it a shame".
--Jerry Garcia
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">All I can say, beeware, is

"It's like a deaf man dancing or a blind man shooting pool
Heaven help the fool, heaven help the fool"--Bob Weir

And before you type your typical, predictable retort--that is twisting others' words to fit your pugnacious drivel--let me state unequivocally that the above quote refers directly to you (not CCG, not D. Braine, and not Tech fans who do not believe that the writing is on the wall nor that each and every move that CCG makes is reproachable.)

beeware, Was watching a move last night that Joe Hamilton listed as his favorite at one time, Tombstone.

Don't know if you or others will get this, but there is a quote by Doc Holiday in that movie played by Val Kilmer. The line made me think of you.

"No. Make no mistake about it. It's not revenge he's after.........It's the RECKONING."..Doc Holiday

Spence and Peterson both sound like fine candidates. It would be hard to choose between them. Actually, throw Nix in the bag with them, shake it up, reach in the bag,and draw one out.

I think any of the three would be a good OC.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
I think any of the three would be a good OC.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ahso,
That may very well be true; but the real offensive coordinator for 2003 is going to be the same as in 2002.
shocked.gif

Since O'Brien is gone, we have at least a 50/50 chance of a new offensive coach. Only time will tell.

wink.gif

Shouldnt that post have been on the Terp board??

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">yes, but there were a couple of digs at Tech which he wanted to get in here.

ahso,
I always enjoy your humorous and whimsical posts. Thanks.

Just for the record, giving Friedgen 100% credit and O'leary 0% credit for TECH's success is rather silly and actually downright petty on your part....I know for a fact that the Fridge shares my view on this.

Also, as for the caliber of coach that O'Brien is, I think I will also take the Fridge's word (and quick hiring) on that too....if you don't mind.

Anyway, keep up the fantasy; I, for one, certainly enjoy it.
wink.gif

Good post Ahso... its hard to argue with the facts you present... the numbers dont lie do they?

I have also wondered why BOB isnt being considered for the OC position at MD... strong statement to his calibre at this point in his career? Maybe a little in over his head on the Flats? No doubt that he will be a good coach in the future.. but, ten years from now, we will also be reading about a great college running back who is 11 years old today..

Back