Coaching from MY Couch.....

BarrelORum

Mediocre Poster
Well, I'm a little hungover (as most of you who chatted with me last night in the chat room can attest) BUT, I've had sometime to digest the product on the field last night. Here goes.....

Where do you start? I'll start with everything I saw that sucked last night.

1.) Offensive Playcalling: Absolutely the most disappointing aspect of last nights game. First off, I can understand trying to break in a True Freshman QB slowly with some plays that will build his confidence, BUT there were several aspects of Chan's playcalling that were terrible. I really want Chan to succeed, but he's not giving me much ammo for supporting him with last nights calls.

First, we ran out of a 1 back 3 receiver formation ALL NIGHT LONG! No I-formation, no T formation, no change of looks at all. We could have still run the same basic plays out of multiple formations, but we did not do that. We gave them the same looks ALL NIGHT! We did not use the FB at all as a lead blocker. This was something i thought we'd see from al the talk over preseason.

Second, if I have a True Freshman QB, with speed, my game plan is to allow him to get on the corners of the pocket, so that if he wanted to run, he could. The only running Reggie did was from the QB draw. There were no attempts at running the option. We didn't even roll Reggie out all that much. Had Reggie been able to get on the corners, we would probably be able to sustain more drives. The game plan in the 3rd and 4th quarter should be roll Reggie right, roll Reggie left.

Third, Once Reggie showed that he could play and make plays. Gailey did not open up the playbook. He still kept him on a tight leash. We didn't throw over the middle until we were in desperation time. I realize you want to protect your True Frosh QB, not set him up to make mistakes, and give him confidence, but at the risk of losing the game???

2.) Offensive Play: EXCEPT Reggie Ball (Who probably wished he was playing with his high school teammates than his GT teammates) the entire team was sloppy. I can sum this up in two words:
Turnovers and Penalties. Two things that won't win games.

I thought PJ looked pretty good, but he only ran the toss sweep behind RT how many times??? The run blocking was weak too. We also didn't see the other backs out there all that much, and when we did in the form of our FB, he fumbles the ball. I figured we'd run behind LT all night long. We didn't do that. Don't know why, but the Left side of the line did not dominate like i thought they would.

3.) Defense was on the field entirely TOO long. The offense could not sustain drives to keep them off the field but our defense come the 3rd quarter looked winded. This probably had to do with the elevation factor, but still. It's hard to be critical on the defense because there are just too many factors.

4.) In order to get pressure on the QB we HAD to blitz the LB's all night long. Unfortunately if you do this, you HAVE to play zone defense in the secondary unless you got the best DB's in the world. BYU dinked us to death. They'd hit the guy under the coverage all night long. That;s how you win against the blitz. If we don't blitz, we give him all day in the pocket, if we do blitz, were leaving a man open. That simple. BYU found the open man.

5.) Defensive Backs..... I thought this was a strong point for us? I want Kenny Scott to start alongside Reuben Houston at corners. Houston was the only one of the DB's who played solid. The safeties need to start playing. The 4th and 3 TD pass over Butler was ridiculous. How in the hell do you let that happen? We got toasted all night long. However, some of this was due to the LB's blitzing and leaving BYU wide receivers open underneath the coverage. The Passes over Landry in the 4th, over Butler in the 1st, and over Cox's head I don't know HOW many times, were crushing, and the DB's got to play better.

6.) The LB play was not a strong point. The tackled great but the LB coverage stunk at times. We have to improve our underneath coverage in the zone.

7.) Carol Moore. When you take away 3 Dlineman (one all conference caliber), a Heisman candidate RB, a strong back up RB and A quick LB... this is what happens. Thank you Mrs. Moore. Someone please fire this lady now. She has been an absolute cancer to that school since I was there and having dealt with her personally when I was at Tech, I can tell you right now, she has NO BUSINESS anywhere near a school of higher learning. I blame her and Braine for not having the weapons to compete to our highest level. Thank you very much!

Ok, so about now you might be wondering what, if anything I saw on TV last night was good. Well, actually I found several things that I thought were GREAT!!!

1.) Reggie Ball. People, we finally got a QB. He'll take his licks and he's got much to learn, but if you weren't impressed with him last night I don't know what will impress you. For a guy 3 months removed from Highschool to play in front of 61,000 opposing fans and do the things he did, was absolutely INCREDIBLE!!! He had a better game than Joe Ham did his whole freshman year. I think we have a LOT to look forward to and on top of that I think we might actually surprise some people this year if we can get the Offense rolling.

2.) Henderson and Wilkerson. Henderson was almost always in the backfield and was about a half second away on several occassions from sacking BYU's QB before he made a play. Wilkerson suprised the hell out of me. He was in many plays and looked very fast and got after them. Unfortunately, they were so worn out because we have no depth to relieve them. I thought our DE's looked good. And I was pleasantly suprised with Gerris. I think him being moved to DE is a great thing. For two guys that were on the field the most due to necessity, they were awesome!

3.) Phillip Wheeler. Don't know if y'all noticed Wheeler, but he was in a a lot of plays it seemed. That's nice.

4.) The tackling was good. This is usually the #1 thing that stinks during the first game, but our guys tackled well. Even late in the game when they were tired. This often goes by unnoticed, but I thought for being on the field as long as they were, the Defense tackled GREAT. I also thought the defense swarmed pretty well to the ball. It was the coverage that sucked, and that can be fixed.

OVERALL COUCH ANAYLSIS:
Guys, I'm not going to sit here and throw in the towel yet. I don't expect good things next week as i think Auburn will shove it down our throats, wear out our thin DLine, and then pound the hell out of us in the second half. However, i still think this team and these coaches have the capability to beat some good teams this year.

BYU did not impress me that much as far as their physical talents. What did impress me was that they executed flawlessly in the second half. Like Friedgen used to do to superior talented teams, they dinked us to death. I think the Refs actually helped us out a lot too(BYU 15 penalties and a couple of calls that went our way). We turned the ball over 4 times, and 2 of them (Dixon and Curry's) might have cost us the game. We had a great first game from a TRUE FRESHMAN!!! Do you realize how big that is?? He's only going to improve from this game. We have some young talent that saw the field and did well. Our ball control was terrible, and the defense was on the field all night long and with hardly anyone to relieve them. Through it all, we still had opportunities to win this game. I don't expect us to win the next two games, but I hope that you guys at least don't allow the wheels to fall off completely.

I think we have a LOT of potential. Unlike last year where we kept losing our potential. There is no doubt in my mind, we should have beaten BYU. I think if these guys can put it together on offense, we can be a solid team.

Anyway, that's my coaching from the couch. Anyone got an Aspirin?

Bor..One thing is for sure..Your point on THE LADY...I was steaming all night thinking i wished we could have lined her up last night at Defensive Tackle and let BYU run it up the gut....What she did do GT is CRIMINAL...Far worse than Jan Kemp.....She must have been a real happy woman last night..Lets see: She took our top 2 RBs In Hollings and Sampson (We couldnt establish the run all night..And thus our already super thin DL stayed on the field all night...Oh yeah..If that wassnt enough she took away out Top DT and best DE,A starting LB. And top DE Backup..Ms. Moore mission ACCOMPLISHED)
As to play calling I think i agree with the Ex QB last night on Espn along with Mike Gottfrie that were calling the game Chan did alright there considering Ball is a true FRosh. Key fumbles killed several of our drives that , one by Curry and one by Dixon that Even Wes and Kim said killed us....Selah....

BoR, your analysis is 100% accurate.

Here comes Auburn.....
lightningzap.gif

I agree with you on everything but the play calling
BOR. I think we moved the ball pretty well on
the drives that ended in fumbles and I blame a
delay of game and a hook block for costing us
early TDs.

Also...We took shots at both Smith and Curry on
deep routes but overthrew an open receiver.

Also...I believe Dixon lined up at FB a few times
as evidenced by the reception / fumble that really
hurt us. So we did run two backs a time or two.

Its obvious that Gailey put the right quarterback
on the field. In that we agree.

I agree on your defensive comments except that our
tackling wasn't all that great. We missed BYU in
their backfield on several plays. I guess we were
just tired and were arm tackling...

Wilkerson got two sacks...what is the over / under
for him on the season? 10? 12? 15? *chuckle*

Cracker, while I agree the execution wasn;t there and the mistakes by players were many, our coach just didn't give the BYU team very many offensive looks. It's easier to defend against a one look team than it is against one with multiple formations.

As for Dixon being in at FB. That was in a 1 back set too I'm pretty sure.

OK so am I to understand the loss was the fault of a lady who enforces the law and players who didn't play, but who broke the law?

Am I to understand that it was smoke and mirrors that defeated TECH last night and not a superior team with superior athletes?

That Hale kid, which as I understand it is the son of their Athletic Director, can flat out fly. That TE of theirs is big-time all the way around. He could play anywhere. Their linebackers were all over the place, hence no option as they moved laterally as well as anyone. Their three down lineman did a pretty decent job taking the TECH's O-Line off their feet. Hard to run when the lineman are making walls instead of gates.

Their QB looked uneasy. What happens when he gets comfortable. All he did was complete 67% of his passes for 3 TD's and his pic was a mis-read by the receiver, just like Ball's.

I'm not ready to put BYU on a Top 20 list, but give BYU some credit! They had a bad last year but they are a damn fine football team most of the time. It looks like they FINALLY have a pretty decent defensive scheme. They gave their offense the ball and the offense controlled it for points. Maybe TECH should be looking at that defensive sstup more seriously - same type of athletes.

Originally posted by Sports Forum West:
OK so am I to understand the loss was the fault of a lady who enforces the law and players who didn't play, but who broke the law?

Am I to understand that it was smoke and mirrors that defeated TECH last night and not a superior team with superior athletes?

That Hale kid, which as I understand it is the son of their Athletic Director, can flat out fly. That TE of theirs is big-time all the way around. He could play anywhere. Their linebackers were all over the place, hence no option as they moved laterally as well as anyone. Their three down lineman did a pretty decent job taking the TECH's O-Line off their feet. Hard to run when the lineman are making walls instead of gates.

Their QB looked uneasy. What happens when he gets comfortable. All he did was complete 67% of his passes for 3 TD's and his pic was a mis-read by the receiver, just like Ball's.

I'm not ready to put BYU on a Top 20 list, but give BYU some credit! They had a bad last year but they are a damn fine football team most of the time. It looks like they FINALLY have a pretty decent defensive scheme. They gave their offense the ball and the offense controlled it for points. Maybe TECH should be looking at that defensive sstup more seriously - same type of athletes.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Whose post did you read?? I said that BYU executed "flawlessly in the second half". I think I gave them plenty of credit.

As for Moore... had we had 8 of those 10 players you can choose which 8... we would not be handicapped going into that game.

I have ALWAYS maintained that ultimately it was those kids who failed out of school. HOWEVER, when the system changed and all of the sudden we have 10 kids fail out, I think that says VOLUMES about the new system. The system failed those kids just as bad as they failed themselves. THAT IS THE BOTTOM LINE. Moore was the one who instigated the system and she was the one who watched over the system. That system failed, and when it did, she took NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR IT! NONE WHATSOEVER! It was hideous.

Having had a personal experience with Mrs. Moore in college I can attest that she is not a student friendly advisor, and furthermore she should NOT be in the position she is in at all! If you want to defend her, you are in the wrong forum.

My take is a little different on defense. Many times I hear the quote, "the defense was on the field too long".

The reason a defense is on the field too long is they do not play smart and stop the other team on all of those third and long plays.

If the defense would stop giving up the same play over and over, they would not be on the field too long. In my opinion that is always a fault of the defensive coaching for not providing the proper defense for the offense thrown at us.

Some three-and-outs would have kept our defense off the field all night. Chicken and Egg theory.

Father Time

Originally posted by BarrelORum:
Well, I'm a little hungover (Here goes.....

Where do you start?

BYU did not impress me that much as far as their physical talents. What did impress me was that they executed flawlessly in the second half. Like Friedgen used to do to superior talented teams, they dinked us to death. I think the Refs actually helped us out a lot too(BYU 15 penalties and a couple of calls that went our way). We turned the ball over 4 times, and 2 of them (Dixon and Curry's) might have cost us the game. We had a great first game from a TRUE FRESHMAN!!! Do you realize how big that is?? He's only going to improve from this game. We have some young talent that saw the field and did well. Our ball control was terrible, and the defense was on the field all night long and with hardly anyone to relieve them. Through it all, we still had opportunities to win this game. I don't expect us to win the next two games, but I hope that you guys at least don't allow the wheels to fall off completely.

I think we have a LOT of potential. Anyone got an Aspirin?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think the first sentance of your post smacks them pretty hard and shows a little too much drink and not enough alka seltzer. That team had speed, flew to the corners and filled the gaps pretty well. It was also THEIR FIRST GAME of the season and they looked pretty good, not great, but good - especially in the second half.

Physically, what didn't impress you? They have receivers who can flat out fly and they hit like freight trains (3 fumbles caused).

The rest of your comment is very admirable and true.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
My take is a little different on defense. Many times I hear the quote, "the defense was on the field too long".

The reason a defense is on the field too long is they do not play smart and stop the other team on all of those third and long plays.

If the defense would stop giving up the same play over and over, they would not be on the field too long. In my opinion that is always a fault of the defensive coaching for not providing the proper defense for the offense thrown at us.

Some three-and-outs would have kept our defense off the field all night. Chicken and Egg theory.

Father Time
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The defense was on the field moreso because the offense couldn't sustain drives. If your offense goes three and out, it's gonna put your defense back on the field.

Sports Forum West, I disagree. I didn't think their receivers were all that fast, especially not the speed we've seen from other ACC teams. I also don't think they were that much stronger than us in the trenches. Their defense was a swarming defense, but again, I don't see their players as faster than ours. Just didn;t look that way on the field. I do think they executed flawlessly though in the second half which made up for it in more ways than one.

They got the job done, we didn;t.

Originally posted by BarrelORum:
Sports Forum West, I disagree. I didn't think their receivers were all that fast, especially not the speed we've seen from other ACC teams. I also don't think they were that much stronger than us in the trenches. Their defense was a swarming defense, but again, I don't see their players as faster than ours. Just didn;t look that way on the field. I do think they executed flawlessly though in the second half which made up for it in more ways than one.

They got the job done, we didn;t.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">For 20 years people have been making the same comments about BYU... slow white guys. Well interesting enough, they and a lot of other teams in the west are well stocked wih 4.4 - 40 guys. Maybe BYU's receivers didn't look that fast because CG played a deep zone forcing BYU into a lot of shallow crossing patterns, hooks, backs in the flat and inside slants.

TECH kept the ball in front of them and you aren't going to see a lot of that speed in those situations. But their Big TE blew past TECH's safety and that Hale Kid is a sub 4.4 runner. Wilkerson ran undernieth and curls inside the backers but is also a 4.4 runner. That's fast man. Do you know how rare a 4.3 guy really is? Forget the press clippings. They are rare.

There is a lot of MEDIA and FAN hype but in reality, their might be five guys in all of college ball that are that fast. Tech would probably have liked to have had a couple of thier receivers and backs yesterday that's for sure.

BYU's fans are all over them for not blowing TECH out. They are use to watching BYU execute with far more precision, much greater flow. Defensively they were to some degree disappointed it wasn't a shutout. They are fans. The bottom line is that BYU could play in the ACC and just thinking they couldn't is pure ignorance.

Blackwatch, please understand that while Moore has crippled this team no doubt, she does not relieve CG of the faults I witnessed last night.

Excellent post BOR!

And we can talk about THE LADY till
we are blue in the face, coaching is
what lost that game last night.

No imagination on offense, what-so-ever!

I beelieve that Coach Gailey is a good
person, but I also beelieve he is in
over his head.

BOR,
Lots of good stuff there.BYU is a better than decent team so the loss will look better later.But we've GOT to be more creative on Offense.Not putting Ball on the corner with a reverse or roll out was UNBELIEVEABLE.CG is going to die with this offense because the DEF is not talented nor deep enough to play for 14-10 wins.
--speaking of no depth,look at Clough and dabraine as the real culprits here.They cut our talent supply then with that setup and clough is doing it again NOW by the new recruiting "standards" .There is no way we can get(and keep) the type of talent to win under the new rules.Duke,Vandy, and we ought to start a conference.l

Back